Seat belt/AirBag warning light - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
royo58
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 75659
What I Drive: 2004 focus estate

FF Reputation: 1 royo58 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Seat belt/AirBag warning light

Hello
I've just replaced the existing passenger seat with a disabled persons rotating seat.
The orange connector has been re-connected and the warning light on the dash stays is on.
How can this be remidied?
By the way the yellow connector is completely removed as it is with the original seat.
Thanks for your help
Roy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
niggly51
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74542
What I Drive: Xantia 1.9td & Wifes Focus 1.4

FF Reputation: 19 niggly51 Great Standing Member
I suspect the ECU has detected the absence of the sensor attached to the seat and connected to the yellow connector. You should contact the people that supplied the seat conversion and ask their advice.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF MobileAfter thinking on how this switch may work, decided to one-up Niggly (pardon me, grin) and suggest that provision for an appropriate switch SHOULD be included with such a conversion, as the person transported deserves the std. safety equipment to be functional, barring any specific reason why it should not be...
Old 06-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
royo58
Focus Rookie

Seat belt warning light

Thanks niggly & sailor
I've contacted the seat makers and apparently there should be some sort of resistor but in the yellow socket. I'm trying to find out the value of the resistor or if they will supply one.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
niggly51
Focus Addict

Posted via FF MobileI agree with sailor-they should keep the supplied safety feature not simulate it with a dummy load resistor. Apparently the connector goes to the seatbelt pretensioner- an important part of the cars safety system, that presumably did not get transferred to the special seat. Not ideal but I can see it may have been an engineering problem on a rotating seat.
One to you sailor old chap!

Last edited by niggly51; 06-08-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
royo58
Focus Rookie

Thanks again chaps. The pre-tensioner was re-attached to the rotating seat and the 'orange' plug re-inserted. However the 'yellow' plug which I think served the seat heater was left empty. It seems that this socket therefore has to have a 'load' in order to complete the circuit to the air bag & the pre-tensioner. In other words it was to 'dummy' the seat heater not the safety feature!
This is my best guess of the situation.
Regards for your attention
Roy
Old 06-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
niggly51
Focus Addict

I think you may be wrong here. I see no reason that Ford would include the seatheater as part of the safety equipment warning circuits. I'm sure the yellow connector is seatbelt pretensioner.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 06-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile My bet is on sensor for passenger in the seat, used for belt unused warning & arming pass. air bag when seat occupied. With most these days, putting a load on the seat will cause the car to demand a belt be used, and arm all safety systems for that side... Some even have a weight cutoff for 2 stage airbag, this may be disappearing as kids in the back has become the std. recommendation...
Old 06-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
niggly51
Focus Addict

Unlikely to be that sailor, as a simple switch would not trigger an error by its absence. Do a quick Google and you will find the yellow connector is seatbelt pretensioner.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 06-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
royo58
Focus Rookie

No Niggly/Sailor, the pre-tens. connects to the orange plug. The yellow plug cable runs underneath and then into the inside back of the original seat (although my car didn't have a heated seat, I wonder if the heating element was fitted, hence the need for a resistor when the seat is removed? )
I agree though, I can't see how this should affect the airbag/seat belt warning light.
Could it be that although the warning light is showing, the airbag & pretens will still function. I think the removal of the seat and non-connection of the yellow con. must have caused the light to come on. Do either of you know how to stop this without recourse to the Dealer?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->