how to change a cam sensor on a 1.8tdci - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-29-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
reefadude
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 75383
What I Drive: focus 1.8 tdci

FF Reputation: 1 reefadude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
how to change a cam sensor on a 1.8tdci

hi there if anyone can help, is there a special way to change a cam sensor on a focus 1.8tdci or is it just a straight swap?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
niggly51
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74542
What I Drive: Xantia 1.9td & Wifes Focus 1.4

FF Reputation: 19 niggly51 Great Standing Member
Is this to try and solve the problems in this<< http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232561>> thread?
By the way- it appears to be a straight swap.

I've also found this which might be of help:

Ford Focus and Mondeo 1.8 2.0 TDCi 2000 - 2003

Problem: Engine hard to start, lack of power, rough idling etc.

Solution: A common problem has been identified with the above models and an insufficient signal from the camshaft postion sensor (CPS). The fault code P0340 may have been triggered which relates to the CPS. A revised wiring harness / sensor should be installed which increases the sensor signal from 5 volts to 12 volts. The increase in voltage will provide an improved signal from the sensor.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
reefadude
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 75383
What I Drive: focus 1.8 tdci

FF Reputation: 1 reefadude Good Standing Member
yeah a few people have suggested the cam sensor maybe my problem so i thought id try the cheapest first....
Old 05-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
OOo revised wiring harness. I'd like to see what that was. It might simply be an added ground wire going from the body to the head of the engine. Maybe not though since the voltage increase is so much. Definitely get that as well, it would stink to put in a new CPS and not get any benefit because part of the problem was the wiring harness.

I wish I could tell you how to do it. CPS's are typically just magnetic sensors, so bolt-off, bolt-on. However, it could potentially be different on a diesel. If there's somewhere you can look at the part, that would be helpful. A manual would really be helpful as well. I'd say there's an 80% chance that it's very simple to change.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
niggly51
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74542
What I Drive: Xantia 1.9td & Wifes Focus 1.4

FF Reputation: 19 niggly51 Great Standing Member
Here's some more info that might explain the changes to the CPS:

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.69/2003
Car and Light/Medium Commercial 28.05.2003

Section: 303-04

Model: Mondeo 2001 (Build Date: 10/00 - 01.06.2003) (Build Code: YY - 3Y) (Engine: 2.0L DuraTorq-TDCi)
Focus 1999 (Build Date: 04.08.2002 - 23.04.2003) (Build Code: 2P - 3E) (Engine: 1.8L DuraTorq-TDCi)
Transit/Tourneo Connect 2002.5 (Build Date: 06/02 - 15.05.2003) (Build Code: 2U - 3L) (Engine: 1.8L DuraTorq-TDCi)
Transit 2000.5-Front wheel drive (Build Date: 01/00 - 30.06.2003) (Build Code: YB - 3Y) (Engine: 2.0L DuraTorq-TDCi)

Markets: All

Subject: Poor power; delayed accelerator response and/or rough idle, engine hard or impossible to start

Summary

Should a customer express concern over poor power; occasional delayed accelerator response and/or rough idle and the engine is hard or impossible to start, the probable cause is insufficient signal from the camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor). Some vehicles may also have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 0340 set. To rectify the concern, the signal at the CMP sensor should be increased from 5 volts to 12 volts using a CMP sensor additional wiring harness.

Bookmarks & Social Networks