cooling fans not working... already replaced resistor - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,842, Level 71
Points: 11,842, Level: 71 Points: 11,842, Level: 71 Points: 11,842, Level: 71
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Posted via FF Mobile^^^^ Test light is the trick, don`t know why I forgot that in my post. meter will show voltage when there isn`t enough current to even light a test light. Confused the H out of me the first time I had a circuit with voltage and test light didn`t work...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
TheKid
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65764
What I Drive: 2002 Infra Red Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 TheKid Good Standing Member
i'm havin the same issue. I guess i'm getting a test light...just any ol' test light will do? or is there specifics i should look for?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
sailor
Crankshaft

Points 11,842, Level 71
Level Up 48% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Posted via FF MobileFancy ones are just more durable/easy to use. The only REALLY special one I have is by MAC tools - it`ll check for power OR ground! not as good for current test though as it uses LED`s.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
TheKid
Focus Enthusiast

ok i'll check it out. its just frustrating considering we're coming into summer and rush hour traffic and all. i'd really like to be able to drive my SVT and enjoy it. 161000 miles on her and she'll be paid off in October. she's old enough to be going through menapause, so i guess these are hot flashes.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
Jboy1788
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37294
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jboy1788 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
alright so went out there with my test light... relays light up, 50A fuse lights up, 30A fuse no light, no light down by the fans themselves either... also doin this on a cold engine tho.

Proud member of
Focus Nation
Old 05-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
4ST AIR
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 64583
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 4ST AIR Good Standing Member
For the circuits you are checking, I think any 12V test light should work. Dont get one for in the house (110V). Just be sure where you connect it to ground it is a good ground. If you are testing the fuses under the hood, Find some good bare metal. You should have power to the fan fuses with the ignition in the on. The relay are easy to jumper to check. The fans are easy to bypass 12V to.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
4ST AIR
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 64583
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 4ST AIR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy1788 View Post
alright so went out there with my test light... relays light up, 50A fuse lights up, 30A fuse no light, no light down by the fans themselves either... also doin this on a cold engine tho.
There you go. You should have power to that fuse, even cold.Pull the 30A fuse (also called the 2nd Fan Fuse). In the holes where the fuse goes, try the tester. Try both connections, but the one closest to the front of the engine should have power. If not, you'll have to pull the fuse box out, and repair that connection. I just took it back to where it was no longer burnt, then some, and spliced in a new stand alone Maxi fuse and holder. Note that the wire supplying power to that fuse is a branch off a few fuses. So check it through and through. But, if the rest of your fuses under the hood are ok, then the branch to that fuse is proably just burnt.

This is also assuming you do this in conjunction with the resistor and plug, meaning you've taken them apart and confirmed they are not burnt!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
Jboy1788
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37294
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jboy1788 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ST AIR View Post
There you go. You should have power to that fuse, even cold.Pull the 30A fuse (also called the 2nd Fan Fuse). In the holes where the fuse goes, try the tester. Try both connections, but the one closest to the front of the engine should have power. If not, you'll have to pull the fuse box out, and repair that connection. I just took it back to where it was no longer burnt, then some, and spliced in a new stand alone Maxi fuse and holder. Note that the wire supplying power to that fuse is a branch off a few fuses. So check it through and through. But, if the rest of your fuses under the hood are ok, then the branch to that fuse is proably just burnt.

This is also assuming you do this in conjunction with the resistor and plug, meaning you've taken them apart and confirmed they are not burnt!
Yep had a bad connection going into the fuse box wasn't burnt just bad connection still replaced it tho... funny thing is to i put back in my old resistor for the fun of it and yep that still works lol. but now i have a back up. thx for the help guys.

Proud member of
Focus Nation
Old 05-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
sailor
Crankshaft

Points 11,842, Level 71
Level Up 48% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Posted via FF MobileYou`re welcome from all I`m sure... Glad you found someone with almost your exact problem, check this, check that carries more weight from one who`s fixed your problem! (grin)
Old 05-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
TheKid
Focus Enthusiast

which are the fuses and resistors for the fans so i can check too?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.