Outside Temperature Incorrect - 2012 Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
kemoe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109270
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 kemoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Outside Temperature Incorrect - 2012 Focus

Hello, I have seen several posts on the web and here in Focus Fanatics regarding the outside temperature reading being incorrect on later model Focuses. What I have not seen is a solution to this issue.

My 2012 base model is constantly showing 2 to 8 degrees higher than the actual temperature. I brought the car into the dealership and they replaced my passenger side mirror because the sensor is mounted in the mirror. This did not fix the issue. The dealership has now created a trouble ticket with Ford. I have not heard back from the dealership for several days even though I have called them a few times so I have called Ford directly and created another trouble ticket to see if that would help.

I have seen on several posts that Ford has told other posters that the root of problem is that the system first calculates the outside temperature in Celcius and then converts it to Fahrenheit which is hard to believe that Ford's software developers couldn't do basic math. But you never know?

I use the outside temperature to warm me of potential hazardous ice so it is important to me that this works. If I can't get it working correctly, I am going to get rid of this car.

Please let me know if you have a solution to this issue. I will post my solution once and if I find one.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,860, Level 76
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Wow. Tough stance.
Throw away $5K or more trade in loss because you are too cheap to buy some aftermarket temp gauge?
I also note my temp gauge is higher than the real temp outside.
Usually I can tell if it is below freezing. Something I picked up walking outside once in a Blue Moon I guess.
My car is parked in a heated garage, so the temp drops from 78F/68F (year round) down/up to whatever the temp is outside in a minute of so. It stays higher than the real Winter temp by about 8 degrees I guess. Summer it seems to be right on actually.
I might try to change it to Celcius temp range and see if that is correct.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
kemoe
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Wow. Tough stance.
Throw away $5K or more trade in loss because you are too cheap to buy some aftermarket temp gauge?
I also note my temp gauge is higher than the real temp outside.
Usually I can tell if it is below freezing. Something I picked up walking outside once in a Blue Moon I guess.
My car is parked in a heated garage, so the temp drops from 78F/68F (year round) down/up to whatever the temp is outside in a minute of so. It stays higher than the real Winter temp by about 8 degrees I guess. Summer it seems to be right on actually.
I might try to change it to Celcius temp range and see if that is correct.

I tried changing it too Celcius but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. Probably something the dealer can do via their scantool? (I have the base model)

Sorry for sounding sour but this issue looks to me like a software problem which should be an easy fix. I see all sorts of Ford Focus owners with the same problem but Ford seems to be ignoring them. Our F150 hasn't ever had an bug or did our two previous Ford Mustangs. I wonder if Ford did this work themselves or outsourced it?

I will let you know what I find out.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

Points 9,199, Level 64
Points: 9,199, Level: 64 Points: 9,199, Level: 64 Points: 9,199, Level: 64
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemoe View Post
I tried changing it too Celcius but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. Probably something the dealer can do via their scantool? (I have the base model)

Sorry for sounding sour but this issue looks to me like a software problem which should be an easy fix. I see all sorts of Ford Focus owners with the same problem but Ford seems to be ignoring them. Our F150 hasn't ever had an bug or did our two previous Ford Mustangs. I wonder if Ford did this work themselves or outsourced it?

I will let you know what I find out.
Are you serious? Have you read your manual? It is in the menu between the gauges.

Settings: display: temperature: (then choose C or F)
<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I've not noticed it being off by 8+F, when it was zero F outside the car read exactly 0F, when I got to the interview it had warmed up to about 5F, and then later in the day by the time I got home it read only about 14F and it felt like it.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,755, Level 59
Points: 7,755, Level: 59 Points: 7,755, Level: 59 Points: 7,755, Level: 59
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Remember that the thermometer is under the passenger mirror, and can show higher or lower temps if it's getting direct sunlight, or in the shade, etc.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
kemoe
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
Are you serious? Have you read your manual? It is in the menu between the gauges.

Settings: display: temperature: (then choose C or F)
Yes, I am serious. Yes, I have read my manual. There is not a menu between my guages. Higher trim models have the menu between the guages, mine does not.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
kemoe
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I've not noticed it being off by 8+F, when it was zero F outside the car read exactly 0F, when I got to the interview it had warmed up to about 5F, and then later in the day by the time I got home it read only about 14F and it felt like it.

So you are sure it is dead on? If so, then there goes the theory about the software. Or maybe the version of the software is different?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
kemoe
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Remember that the thermometer is under the passenger mirror, and can show higher or lower temps if it's getting direct sunlight, or in the shade, etc.
This is happening at night (well past sundown) as well. In fact it is worse at night when I am driving home. About an hour ago is was 6 degrees over. This morning at 7AM it was only 2 over.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 235,208, Level 100
Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
How did I ever survive without a temp sensor on my car...oh wait I till don't have one...

Do what I do, if you suspect ice, scuff your foot on the road and see if it is slick before you get in the car, and YES I'm serious...it works.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.