HOW TO: rear control arm poly bushings - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
dardack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114151
What I Drive: 2003 Red SE Wagon PZEV 2.3L engine

FF Reputation: 3 dardack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You can get it $90 if you can get a code off the coupon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARBOR-FREIG...item2a2b991c36
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
whammo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10692
FF Reputation: 1 whammo Good Standing Member
Question,
Could the symptoms of these bushings failing include a noisy rear end that wallows alarmingly in turns on the freeway?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

Points 5,146, Level 45
Points: 5,146, Level: 45 Points: 5,146, Level: 45 Points: 5,146, Level: 45
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 35 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
depends on the type of noise. is it during bumps or smooth driving.

in my case on the freeway i had a rythmic wobble back n forth, sometimes the movement might be accompanied by a little knock or clunk.

another source of noise and loose handling is the shocks, which might be a reason for the wallowing you speak of.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:15 AM   #24
whammo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10692
FF Reputation: 1 whammo Good Standing Member
Noise comes while going over bumps.
Shocks were just replaced on last visit to mechanic's, didn't fix the problem.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #25
PWSVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92678
What I Drive: 2003, Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 PWSVT Good Standing Member
Excellent information. Thanks everyone. Spent most of today trying to get the rear arms apart. Ended up dropping the whole subframe to try and get these bolts out as I have no lift I'm working on the floor. Every one of the bolts is rusted to the sleve inside the bushing.

Back to work with the grinder tomorrow it appears. Can't believe a 10 year old car could be so rusty underneath. There's hardly a blemish on the bodywork and I always keep the car clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0985.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	18522  

Old 07-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #26
tpw84
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116549
What I Drive: Ford focus hatchback 2008 1.8tdci

FF Reputation: 1 tpw84 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
well, I blew out a rear control arm bushing, so it was time to replace. Ford, in its infinite wisdom, does not sell replacement bushings, you have to buy the entire control arm as the bushings are integral.

So, instead of buying a 55$ control arm (the little dogbone linkage) and wondering when the next one will die, I spent 120$ and can upgrade all of them. This process was quite a bit easier than doing the front poly bushings and the rear trailing arm bushing.
I got the prothane kit 6-307-BL from C-F-M.
replacement bolts are from Ford *w500744*s439

PS ignore the Moog tie rod ends, I happend to pick them up at the same time.

this would also be a good time to intall a camber bolt or swap to a new camber arm. see this thread http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...37#post2745037

Tools required:
-hydraulic press
-15mm socket and rachet
-PB blaster
-jack and jack stands
-breaker bar
-lots of extensions
-impact gun(optional)
-air hammer (optional)
-angle grinder (maybe)

tip: like a week before you begin, it would be wise to start penetrating the bolts with the PB blaster.
tip: have a spare vehicle ready to run to the parts store to get new bolts when you find have to cut your old ones out (they're metric. 12mm wide, ~60mm long, grade 10.8) i got mine from Ford for 3$

step 1.
Jack up the rear of the car. support the car with jack stands. i put them ahead of the wheel on the frame rail. alternatly u can put 2 close together on the rear subframe (but that is where i jacked from)

step 2.
remove wheels
step 3
use the PB blaster 1 more time. if you have an air hammer, use it to vibrate the end of the bolt to try and break the corrosion free.
step 4
using your breaker bar and 15mm socket, break loose the bolts. for some of the upper bolts you might need a long extension and you can use your breaker/rachet from behind the fuel tank.
step 5
using your rachet or impact try to remove the bolts. if you are lucky they will come right out. if not proceed to step 5a
step 5a
back out the bolt as much as you can before it totally binds up. get out your angle grinder and a fresh wheel (a sawzall could work, but its too slow and difficult, they are hardened bolts after all. believe me i tried). Cut through the bushing and bolt near the edge on both sides. dont damage the control arm, however you dont need to reuse the cylindrical metal bushing shell, so feel free to cut it. carefull, everything will be hot after this. the tough part might be getting the tip of the bolt that is still partly threaded in. you're on your own for that, but u could always cut the spot weld on the nut and work on it on your bench or use a vise etc.
step 6
dismantle your new bushings

step 7
once your bolts are out, take all your control arms to your hydraulic press and press out the old bushing including the outer metal shell. if you are good, you can press out the old with the new shell, killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

step 8
lube up all the parts. press in the poly parts first by hand, then press in the inner cylinder by hand.

step 9
ready for reinstallation. sometimes to get stuff to line up, i jack up the trailing arm so things weren't at such an extreme angle

step 10
tighten it up. torque specs for the rear suspension are below

Rear:
Upper shock nut (sedan, hatch) - 13 lb-ft
Upper shock nut (wagon) - 85 lb-ft
Lower shock bolt - 66 lb-ft
Upper control arm (inner) - 76-85 lb-ft
Upper control arm (outer, cam adjustment bolt) - 55 lb-ft
Spindle/hub retaining bolt - 49 lb-ft
Trailing arm pivot bracket bolts - 85 lb-ft
Lower control arm (inside) - 111 lb-ft
Sway bar end links - 11-15 lb-ft
Sway bar clamps - 35 lb-ft

step 11
put on the wheels, lower the jack and you are done. stand back and admire.

Thanks for that great and informative post thenorm. I know this is an old thread, but I am here with a question regarding a similar problem.

My rear suspension (esp. right side) on my focus 2 2008 1.8 Tdci has been making knocking and bumping noises when going over bumps for some time now - worse when going round corners, and I too get that 'rear end break-out' sensation over bumps in corners. I took off wheels to inspect suspension, and I immediately noticed that the control arm links (I think that's the right name) - the 'dog bone' shaped links that you show in the photos - appear to have worn bushings. I say 'appear' because I am not an expert - can anybody tell me what kind of visual signs indicate shot bushings on this part? Mine do not appear to be lined up perpendicular to the bolt that goes through the middle of them, suggesting to me that part of the rubber/poly has worn away.

I have photos if that would be more explanatory.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has any advice.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #27
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

Points 367, Level 7
Points: 367, Level: 7 Points: 367, Level: 7 Points: 367, Level: 7
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
Dry cracking bushing are the beginning signs of wear. Once they get bad you can begin to see the inner sleeve of the bushing and things won't be lined up like what you described in your post. Chances are if those bushings are bad though the other sets of bushings on the camber arms and the spring arms are bad too... It's worth a look as you can get all the bushings in one kit.

Sent from cyberspace
Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #28
tpw84
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116549
What I Drive: Ford focus hatchback 2008 1.8tdci

FF Reputation: 1 tpw84 Good Standing Member
thanks for quick reply bile026.

Well, to update, I just went to a garage who took the time to take my car out for a spin, and then put it up on a ramp. He confirmed (as I suspected) that my right rear brake pad was rattling in its seat - damn cheapo parts from a so-called 'discount' superchain. He tried fixing up a shim on it, but couldn't find a suitable piece of metal... anyway, that's for another time - it's not dangerous, just annoyingly noisy!

The deeper 'knocking' noise coming through the body over bumps we think is down to the end bushes on the anti-roll bar. On the right hand side, there is about 1-2mm of play between bar and bush. It makes a 'clicking/tapping' noise under load, which no doubt sounds like a knock when the sound comes through the body and into the cabin. No play on left side. No noticeable play on other bushings. Mechanic says 'funny' angle is normal on this car.

I attach a photo for anyone curious to compare. It's the right rear lateral control link 'dogbone' shape. Apologies for bad quality.

Thanks again for great informative posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0147.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	18623  

Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #29
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

Points 5,146, Level 45
Points: 5,146, Level: 45 Points: 5,146, Level: 45 Points: 5,146, Level: 45
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 35 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
the deflection seen in that bushing is normal at full droop. sounds like you found the problem in the sway bar.

that 'rear end break-out' sensation over bumps in corners is just a symptom of this suspension design, the toe-in is dynamic as the suspension compresses. it is exacerbated by excessive toe in or toe out. if you ever get an alignment, have them set rear toe to zero (or very close to it)

welcome to FF.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #30
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

Points 367, Level 7
Points: 367, Level: 7 Points: 367, Level: 7 Points: 367, Level: 7
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
I would agree with thenorm. Alignments are crucial with this vehicle and can cause problems if it is off even a little.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.