One down, four to go...A how-to of sorts - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
USARice
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56127
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST, DD and AutoX

FF Reputation: 1 USARice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
One down, three to go...A how-to of sorts

So I started with this:

And after about 10 hours of trial and error ended up with this:

Supplies:

Sandpaper - 180, 400, 600, 1200, and 2000 grits (400-2000 wet)
Microfiber cloths
Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover
Rust-oleum Wax and Tar Remover
NeverDull
Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish (comes in paste form)
Mineral Spirits
Lots of elbow grease (you could use power tools but there's a certain sense of pride that comew with doing something with your bare hands)

Step 1: Clean wheels.
I used Rust-oleum wax and tar remover in between steps and Turtle Wax bug and tar remover before starting. One is a spray and one is more like a liquid wax. Both are useful.

Step 2: Sand, sand, sand, and sand some more.
I have aluminum wheels that either weren't coated on the inside or the coating has just worn off in the 11 years they went from hand to hand. In the case of machined aluminum wheels, always sand in the direction of the machine marks; in a circle. I went from 180 to 400 to 600 to 1200 to 2000. Everything except the 180 was done both wet and dry. You'll make a mess. Use the spray in between sandings and make sure the wheel is clean before you start the next grit. I went through all of the wet paper in a total of 3 cycles. Better safe than sorry.

Step 3: Clean and polish
First completely clean the insides with mineral spirits. Then, I used NeverDull (I love this stuff, always have a can on-hand for stuff around the house and my SAP muffler tip) and Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish in cycles until I was satisfied with the finish. I used some microfiber cloths I bought at Menards for a steal and LIGHTLY polished the Mothers in and buffed it out. Use sparingly and rub lightly to acheive best results. I did half a wheel at a time to make sure the Mothers didn't dry out. If it dries out it dulls the finish, not what you want.

Step 4: Have a beer and enjoy your beautiful wheel.

Step 5: (Optional) If you have access to white rouge you can use a microfiber cloth to very lightly buff this into the surface and it is supposed
to produce a mirror finish on aluminum. I couldn't find any locally although the paint/body supply shop knew exactly what it was and what it did. I may order some online.

Step 6: (Optional) At this point you could clearcoat the inside of the rim if you liked. Theres a company that sells something like a high gloss clear herculiner for wheels that's supposed to be impermiable by solvents. You could have them clear powder coated. Or you could just spray bomb them. Whichever option you choose will definately add some major shine if you did all of the steps above right. Me, I'm probably going to stay with machined aluminum rather than going to polished.

I did all of this by hand. The only time I used my buffer was on the face of the rim which I didn't do any refinishing on. I may later take a small file to some of the worst curbage on the lips but the faces actually were in great shape for the age.

Peace!

Last edited by USARice; 05-05-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: can't do simple math
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Dudes ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23416
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 10 Dudes ZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That looks incredible. Nice job.

Let us know how your arm feels when you finish the set :)
Old 05-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Very nice work man.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
USARice
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Very nice work man.
Coming from you that means a lot. Thanks!

The 10 or so hours was spread across several days. Each wheel will be done the same way but now that I have it down if I really wanted to I could probably do it in 3. It's a slow process and my arm is tired at the end of each stage but the results speak for themselves. This is my first set of rims so to speak (even if they are still Ford wheels) and I want them to look as close to new as possible when I put them on. Nobody will probably ever see the insides unless they look close, but I'll know....

(and someday they'll be on the car, but I only want to buy one set of tires for summer DD and light AutoX duties and tires matching that don't come cheap.)
Old 05-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Insane
Adam

Fan#: 51468
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 41 Insane Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Very nice work man.
Nice enough to sticky I'd say.
-Zetec Crew #215
Volant Intake, SVT Snorkle, By past A/C, AFX UDP, Copper Plugs, 9mm Plug Wires, Toms Tune, Roush springs/shocks/struts, Eibach Sway-Bars, C-F-M Racing Lower Engine Mount.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Valky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73134
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 2 Valky Good Standing Member
Nice write-up and great results!
#1486 of 4788
_/\_ _/\_ _/\_ WMR #6 H-Stock _/\_ _/\_ _/\_
Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Added to the suspension sticky
Old 05-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 8,902, Level 63
Points: 8,902, Level: 63 Points: 8,902, Level: 63 Points: 8,902, Level: 63
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 69 sailor Excellent Standing Member
For Aluminum polishing materials of all kinds try the nearest Truck Stop! - red green & white rouge usually avail. in small sample kits and large bars...
Old 05-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
USARice
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
For Aluminum polishing materials of all kinds try the nearest Truck Stop! - red green & white rouge usually avail. in small sample kits and large bars...
Yeah, next time I'm on the road. I went to one a few miles away that I used to stop at on my way to Rochester that used to have EVERYTHING including kitchen sinks knowing they would have it after seeing that tip somewhere else but it'd been bought out by KWIK Trip (think midwest 7 Eleven) and they didn't carry any truck accessories anymore. I was shocked. Seriously, this place used to be a huge dirty dim truck stop. Thats big business for ya....
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
CitizenPete
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97222
What I Drive: 2000,ZX3,Blue,3DR,Auto,2.0ZETEC16

FF Reputation: 1 CitizenPete Good Standing Member
Ever heard of Poorboys?

About a year ago some post introduced me to a product called "Poor Boys" and it worked wonders to "preserve" our wheels in the 120in of snow and ice we get here in NE Ohio off lake Erie. It won't clean your wheels, but it will stop you from having to turn every wheel cleaning into a project. Its like a paste or cream for wheels - Petroleum Distillates.

I cleaned up my wife's Lexus RS300 wheels and applied this product and it was amazing how well they held up and how easy they were to clean. The sweet smell of this stuff reminds me of Bazooka Bubble gum. Look at it here: http://www.poorboysworld.com/wheel-sealant.htm Note: I can't imagine why anyone would buy the large jar of it, unless you clean hundreds of wheels for a living.

One SMALL jar will last years (for me at least). I put on in the fall and the late spring. I'm going to use it on my ZX3 Foci this week after a brake job and some new tires.

This stuff really works! People that know about this stuff swear by it, so I thought I would pass it on.

Bookmarks & Social Networks