removal of crankshaft pulley bolt? - Page 25 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #241
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Posted via FF MobileBrit weather eh? Tx for the update, following this saga to the happy ending....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #242
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74469
What I Drive: focus lx blue

FF Reputation: 1 the_doc735 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Posted via FF MobileBrit weather eh? Tx for the update, following this saga to the happy ending....
wednesday 02.06.10:

GOOD WEATHER - no rain, no hurricane [wind]. :)

So, having finished with the sump last friday I proceeded to lower the vehicle axle stands to a more workable level.

Then I used scissor jack with load bearing plank of wood to support engine from underneath the sump [again].

Then I removed the engine mount [again] for access.

Cleaned timing sprocket, crank pulley and crank end.

Lubricated new crank bolt thread and washer.

Pushed on timing sprocket [ no probs].

Loosely placed new timing belt over sprocket.

Fitted lower timing cover and nipped up bolts [didn't bother with torque settings on these].

Pushed on aux. pulley [as far as it would go].

Positioned to TDC [with timing pin & screwdriver in cylinder one]. Remembered to remove pin straight after!!

Fitted flywheel locking tool with a good solid purchase.

Made timing mark on bolt head, edge of pulley and lower cover.

Tightened new pulley/crank bolt by hand - then lightly with spanner. Then torqued with small wrench to 40Nm [ as per haynes]. Haynes doesn't say anything about taking note of the angle at this stage!

I continued to torque with long breaker bar: (remaining alert to 'angle' and 'position of tools' etc.

stage 1 ~ 30% [with caution]
stage 2 ~ 60% [with caution]
= 90%.

I then checked the torque [as per 'grumpy'] with the large torque wrench applying:

100 Lbs ~ 'click!'
110 Lbs ~ 'click!'
120 Lbs ~ 'click!'
130 Lbs ~ 'click!'
140 Lbs respectively [with caution] ~ 'click!'

150 Lbs ~ no click without further bolt rotation?

@ GRUMPY ~ Is that tight enough ~ the bolt won't seem to give any more torque?

The pulley didn't move from the alignment marks I made!

Checked cam timing [with bar]. OK

Slackened cam sprocket bolts a bit more so that cam sprockets could rotate freely.

Placed cam belt over cam sprockets and around loosened tensioner [ made sure all the slack was on the tensioner side!].

Then there was 'a little fettling' [adjustments] to get the belt and sprocket teeth to mesh together and remove slack.

Then I jammed the cam sprockets with a screwdriver so that I could lock the sprockets lightly with a spanner into that position.

Used 8mm allen key to pull the timing tensioner across so that the marker is between the marks on the casing. Then used small torque wrench to 20Nm [ as per haynes], to tighten 2 tensioner mounting bolts.

Then used small torque wrench to 60Nm [ as per haynes], to tighten 2 cam sprocket bolts [whilst holding cams with 21mm spanner across machined flats @ P1].

Checked 'home made' crank timing marks [for alignment]. OK

On the crank bolt, turned/spun the whole lot around 3 complete revolutions [360 x 3] ~ nothing touched; re: pistons/valves.

Have I forgotten anything please?

I know I have to rebuild the remaining engine parts and fit the auxiliary belt!

Cheers!

Last edited by the_doc735; 06-03-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #243
sailor
"Elder"

Posted via FF MobileYou didn`t ype it, but I`m sure that timing was rechecked after crank rotation now you`ve made such a nice mark for it..... Sounds great! glad to hear the basics are all back together. Tip one & celebrate, the ancilaries can come later....
Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #244
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
You didn`t ype it,

what's ype?

Yes ~ the timing was rechecked after the crank rotation!!

cheers!

Last edited by the_doc735; 06-02-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #245
sailor
"Elder"

Posted via FF Mobile Ype`s! a typo! grin! (yes it should have read "type")
Old 06-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #246
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
Do you have any idea what the final bolt rotation angle (degrees) total was after torquing the bolt to the initial 40NMs? Remember, after torquing the bolt to the initial 40NMs, the bolt is supposed to be rotated a further 90 degrees in relation to the crankshaft. My idea of checking the torque with the torque wrench set to 140 ft/lbs was just to see how high the torque was getting during the final 30 degrees of bolt rotation. It's up to you, but if you don't have at least 85 degrees of bolt rotation, then I'd redo it. The crankshaft seems to have been held just fine by the flywheel tool.......and the bolt hasn't been installed for years like before, on disassembly. You should be able to loosen it off and redo without a problem this time.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 AM   #247
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Do you have any idea what the final bolt rotation angle (degrees) total was after torquing the bolt to the initial 40NMs? Remember, after torquing the bolt to the initial 40NMs, the bolt is supposed to be rotated a further 90 degrees in relation to the crankshaft. My idea of checking the torque with the torque wrench set to 140 ft/lbs was just to see how high the torque was getting during the final 30 degrees of bolt rotation. It's up to you, but if you don't have at least 85 degrees of bolt rotation, then I'd redo it. The crankshaft seems to have been held just fine by the flywheel tool.......and the bolt hasn't been installed for years like before, on disassembly. You should be able to loosen it off and redo without a problem this time.
...retensioned/retorqued crank bolt again [i.e. did it again] see amended post #242 [above]. There has to be at least 90 degrees of bolt rotation now + the 40Nm as well.

Should be fine now - yes?

Just wish I'd used the flywheel locking tool from the start instead of the locking pin (that bent slightly) and caused a shit load of trouble!

Cheers!

Last edited by the_doc735; 06-03-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #248
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
I guess I missed the "=90%" in all that. As long as you're sure that the timing is bang on (even one camshaft being a degree or two off will affect engine performance and idle quality) and that the belt tension is correct, and that both camshaft sprocket bolts are torqued to spec., then, I guess you're done. On with the easy stuff.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #249
Juantron
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56983
What I Drive: '03 SVT-5

FF Reputation: 3 Juantron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Holy debacle!!!! 7 pages of anguish, yet great perseverance by 3 people in 3 different countries...you guys should be dubbed the A-Team or something =D
-John
Old 06-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #250
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I guess I missed the "=90%" in all that. As long as you're sure that the timing is bang on (even one camshaft being a degree or two off will affect engine performance and idle quality) and that the belt tension is correct, and that both camshaft sprocket bolts are torqued to spec., then, I guess you're done. On with the easy stuff.
Well, the crank touched the timing pin [with screwdriver in P1 at its highest point] and the cam timing bar [tool] laid flat across the cylinder head surface and snugged up to the timing flats on both camshafts similtaneously. That's about as good as I can do with manual tools ~ not sure about the odd 1% to tell you the truth? If I had hundreds of pounds of electronic equipment and precise professional engineering machinary like a garage then I may be able to ensure 100% accuracy; but as it stands I think I have to be realistic and accept that there may be 1% error?

When I fire it up how will I know if it's 'out'; what will happen i.e. how do I perceive the timing error - what are the signs please?

NOTE: The rest of it has also been reassembled now b.t.w.! :)

Cheers!

Bookmarks & Social Networks