OD fails during warm weather,any ideas - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
roberted5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115674
What I Drive: 2006,Black,LS

FF Reputation: 1 roberted5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
OD fails during warm weather,any ideas

All winter long my transmission has been fine.Shifts very good but when I have to run a/c it can not want to up-shift into over-drive or kicks out.

It did this last summer at night it drove great but during warm weather and after 40-60 minutes of driving it starts repeating.I changed fluid/filter put in both shift sensors and it helped greatly.

One day this week it started acting up but then it started raining and within 5 minutes started shifting fine and I drove 40 more miles and it shifted great.

IAlso if I use cruise control the OD light on dash starts to flash.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
Marde
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Like many others here, you might be looking to fix it yourself and save money. The obvious question is what needs fixing? Sorry, I do not know what is wrong or why that is happening on your car but here are some ideas.

Start with the most basic and ensure the fluid level is OK.
When you changed the fluid, did you use the right type of fluid?
Get the car scanned for DTC's at a car part store -for free, and do it with the AC on.
Inspect and listen to the Serp Belt, AC compressor and related wheels for noise that might be related to excessive drag or resistance.
Take it to a Pro for diagnosis, learn what is/might be wrong, and then do the repair yourself. Some people replace all 6 transmission solenoids (as a kit) and have great success in solving problems... but can also fail to cure your problem. Until better ideas roll in, here is a good thread to read->

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ighlight=p0750
Old 05-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
roberted5
Focus Enthusiast

I put Valvoline Mercon V in it last summer,both A shift solenoids and a new filter.
I wasn't able to flush cooler but I got all but 1 quart out of tranny.
It helped greatly and only if I drove up and down many steep hills it would kick out of OD,but push button it would stop and if going over 70 OD worked rather well.
The rain may have dropped temp in cooler for it shifts fine during cool weather even going up and down many hills???
I'm baffled nothing is worse than a bug that acts up only during hot weather.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Marde
Focus Addict

Hi. I am not saying that you have a failing transmission solenoid, but it is possible that Solenoid "C" is intermittently failing under temp & load conditions. I am unsure which two solenoids that you replaced, because you said both A's (?). You would not be the first person who has changed 1 or 2 solenoids, then done the job again, and this time replacing all 6 solenoids.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
roberted5
Focus Enthusiast

I appreciate the help.
Hopefully it'll scan this time since the OD light starts flashing but so far it'll only flash when cruise control is on.Once it starts flashing the OD button fails and car must be restarted for OD button to work.
Last year light wouldn't flash and it wouldn't code.
Another symptom is once it starts kicking out of OD it'll kick out of 3rd or not want to upshift occasionally but not with OD off.It did this last year once it started kicked out of OD it didn't want to upshift.
My fluid level was fine,some foaming was on the stick.I took out 10oz and put in some Lubegard to reduce foaming.15 miles later it started raining and problems went away immediately and I went up and down many hills.
It would be great if the Lubegard actually worked.
Next warm day I'll get it to flash and see if I can get it to code.There is a way to get car to show dash codes but whether it'll show transmission codes I'm not sure.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Marde
Focus Addict

Here is a maintenance item required to be done and is not in the owners manual. Check the health of wiring between the car and the trunk/rear hatch. See link for pics.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...09&postcount=5
Old 05-16-2014, 03:43 AM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
The 2-4 servo piston on these commonly loosens up the pin on it to produce issues in 2, 3 and 4. The valve body has to remove to get to it then a plate with 3 bolts in it.

The driver side trans end cover has wear issues as well that affect the hydraulics. That could be the heat issue, fluid gets hot enough to thin and then problem shows up.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
roberted5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
The 2-4 servo piston on these commonly loosens up the pin on it to produce issues in 2, 3 and 4. The valve body has to remove to get to it then a plate with 3 bolts in it.
Thank you,

The driver side trans end cover has wear issues as well that affect the hydraulics. That could be the heat issue, fluid gets hot enough to thin and then problem shows up.
Is there any online videos,pictures that may show a picture of 2-4 servo pistons or a replacement procedure?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
roberted5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marde View Post
Here is a maintenance item required to be done and is not in the owners manual. Check the health of wiring between the car and the trunk/rear hatch. See link for pics.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...09&postcount=5
Tape up to prevent shorts?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
Marde
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberted5 View Post
Tape up to prevent shorts?
Yes. If insulation is found cracked and wire strands are exposed, using electrical tape -carefully- will make a good repair. Those pics were from this thread->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323413

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->