Burnt headlight sockets - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
kputer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 74656
What I Drive: 2002 Grey SE

FF Reputation: 1 kputer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Burnt headlight sockets

I went to replace the headlights on my '02 and both sockets are badly burnt and the new bulbs barely fit in. A week later the left side melted further and now that bulb is dim and won't stay put. I've been searching and haven't really found any others complaining about this problem. I'm new to the Focus, love it, but I'm really surprised by this headlight problem.

Is this because the previous owner didn't install the new bulbs correctly or do these plastic housing just melt down like this? I'll have to call around the bone yards and try to chase up some replacement headlight assy.

Any suggestions on avoiding this in the future?
Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
egman2005
Slow n lifted

Fan#: 44983
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

Points 9,505, Level 65
Points: 9,505, Level: 65 Points: 9,505, Level: 65 Points: 9,505, Level: 65
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 21 egman2005 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
someone put in higher the reccomended watt bulbs

they wires over heated as a result
Old 04-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
kputer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 74656
What I Drive: 2002 Grey SE

FF Reputation: 1 kputer Good Standing Member
I didn't notice what the bulbs were I took out. That may be the cause. I have the standard 9003 now. So, it shouldn't do this?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
egman2005
Slow n lifted

Fan#: 44983
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

Points 9,505, Level 65
Points: 9,505, Level: 65 Points: 9,505, Level: 65 Points: 9,505, Level: 65
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 21 egman2005 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
nope shouldnt do it now.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
kbrownfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14709
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kbrownfocus Good Standing Member
Hello i has a solution for you on the probleme...the reason for our burnt light plugs on the headlights, has nthing to do with the type of bulb, or what power your using, the harness plugs for the lights on all Foci are due to poor msterial, and wirering, now you can do what i did on all but one foci that i have owned, take the entire head light housing out because this will make it so much easier, now after that is done cut yes i said cut your wires that go to the harness that plugs into the back of the bulb, once that is done take the fittings out of the plugs and do what you can to loosen them to pull the wires out and now your going to need to have some 12-14awg wire to replace what was on there and if your plug isnt too badly distroyed in the same order the old wires were in put the connecters back in the plug, best way to remember is to mark where the old wires are so you know when you connect the wires back to the oringanal wires back in the engine bay, once you have all six wires complete and the connectors back in both plugs or if you cant do it that way you can also use female universal connecters they fit the prongs on the H4 bulb, now with the hard part done you can either use butt connecters, or solder them witch is the best way...just a quick not before you solder or use a butt conecter use some shrink wrap if avl. if not just use elec. tape and use a ton of it mostly for insulation, now once you have all six wires going to the coresponding factory wires plug in your light and test low beam then high beam(rememeber never ever ever touch any bulb with bare hands use rubber gloves, the best are nuraprene or non laytex and non powder rubber gloves) once thats good button everything up put your light housings back in and reconnect your lights, then put your plug connecter back on close the water seal shut your hood and enjoy any wattage light you wanna put in that bad a#^ FOCI and enjoy.....and just so you know i have done a total of 43 foci total since me and my dad figed out how to do this and i have contacted ford and tried to get them to do a massive massive recall to instal the new 2009 harness witch basicly is a thicker plug connecter....hope this helps
ZETEC Crew #341
Old 05-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
kbrownfocus
Focus Enthusiast

it was a and still is a very good idea, also to add to what i posted, if you can find any newer 9003 plugs you can fit those as well, looks like i'll be doing the wire swap yet again to yet another focus of mine, but hey if you want kick ass bright headlamps that off set your car at night thats what needs to be done...espicaly if your running any thing over 85 watts for a low beam....realy hope this helps alot of ya'll who read if you are confused or need some further guideance just PM me and i'll gladly help out
ZETEC Crew #341
Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
kbrownfocus
Focus Enthusiast

ok i have a quicker solution...then what i posted but the steps do apply though, they sell the connecter with wires at Autozone it is part number 84790 it comes in a pair and its about 12 bucks, its worth it if your going higher than 55/65watt headlamps, and the new kit is HEAVY DUTY oem replacment...hope this is better...
ZETEC Crew #341
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
InfraredZTW
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15867
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 InfraredZTW Good Standing Member
Does anyone know what is the second connecting point from the headlamp wires.
That's if , say, someone would like to replace the entire length of wire to the power source/fuse?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,103, Level 97
Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I don't know of any disconnecting point. The harness comes out of the relay box under the hood, and goes to the driver's headlight, then over to the passenger, and I think there is other wiring in there with it- like the horn.

You just responded to a 2 yr old thread- y'know. Was nobody helpful in the thread you started yourself? I thought you fixed that wiring problem a week ago?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks