so you think you can drive? check this out! - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #31
Dung1sm
Atx PZEV FTW!

Fan#: 52323
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4

Points 3,570, Level 37
Points: 3,570, Level: 37 Points: 3,570, Level: 37 Points: 3,570, Level: 37
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 Dung1sm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
that vid is so sick in every way...fwd ftw!!!!
So Cal Crew#43
Sedan Revolution #130

Moderator for:
South West Fanatics
Ford Focus & General Car Chat
Ford Focus Build Showroom
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #32
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 my ZX3 View Post
first off: WOW!

second off... Geezer you make a good point. i also thought the co-driver was lower for a lower overall CG. and i watched jari matti's spill off a cliff last year in.... i believe it was portugal or something? there were a lot of cliffs and he misjudged and rolled down one til he got t-boned by a tree. him and his co-driver walked away, those rally cars are some really tough stuff.

While getting weight low is certainly one of the objectives the other is that the driver is often looking out the passenger window (especially on left hand drifts) and he doesn't need a co-driver, pace notes, etc. in the way of his view.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #33
2001focuszx3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79760
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 2001focuszx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That was awesome!!

I really wish they would start showing Rally racing again on tv in the USA. The wife and I both used to watch EVERY WRC Rally when they used to show them on Speed Channel. I have looked and looked and have yet to find a channel they televise rallies in the US. SUCKS!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #34
Demon09
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72257
What I Drive: 2007 Black ZX4 SES w/ SAP

FF Reputation: 1 Demon09 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001focuszx3 View Post
That was awesome!!

I really wish they would start showing Rally racing again on tv in the USA. The wife and I both used to watch EVERY WRC Rally when they used to show them on Speed Channel. I have looked and looked and have yet to find a channel they televise rallies in the US. SUCKS!!!
They are on TV still, but they're on Discovery HD Theater. I just set mine to DVR today because I was out of town. You can also watch the seasons from like 2001 to 2008 on the WRC Youtube Channel, or on Hulu.com now also.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #35
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 27,694, Level 98
Points: 27,694, Level: 98 Points: 27,694, Level: 98 Points: 27,694, Level: 98
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
i'd rather watch RA only cause its something i'm getting into, its on ESPN on occaision, but just highlights. :(

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #36
fakitol
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63209
What I Drive: 01 zx3 mtx,04 svt,01 zx3 atx, 02svt

Points 724, Level 14
Points: 724, Level: 14 Points: 724, Level: 14 Points: 724, Level: 14
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 fakitol Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
It's a Peugeot 105, probable a GTI engine , 1.6l with around 200whp and 1200 pounds MAX

The guy is transfering the load on the breaks barely using the handbreak. I have tried to transfer the load on the Focus many times and it works with 60mph runs it's still safe.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 AM   #37
Hawkenstine
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82802
What I Drive: Red 07 sedan se & an 08 yamaha R1

FF Reputation: 1 Hawkenstine Good Standing Member
that was absolutely insane driving if i could do 1/4th of that in my lifetime, i would die happy
Old 02-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #38
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 36,339, Level 100
Points: 36,339, Level: 100 Points: 36,339, Level: 100 Points: 36,339, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Definitely some nice driving ... he knows how to utilize the backend coming out to his advantage.

I would love to have a driving teacher teach me such moves. Nice.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #39
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 27,694, Level 98
Points: 27,694, Level: 98 Points: 27,694, Level: 98 Points: 27,694, Level: 98
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
you know, its not that hard, for rally you go into the turn w/ a little bit of understeer, so ur going in a bit hot, then you keep ur left foot on the throttle, and blip the brakes w/ ur left foot. its not hard to practice. just don't do it on the road, do it in a parking lot! for some of the moves, such as handbraking on pavement, that is SUCH A FINE LINE between spinning and complete control. don't try this w/ ur handbrake, he uses a hydraulic handbrake which is run off of an idependant master cylinder, but is in the main brake lines. ur handbrake any model cannot lock and CONTROL the tires like that. not even close, you'd have to rip it soooo hard to get them to lock controlled like that. rally school doesn't teach you that till you get to the advanced classes. schools like Team O'neil, or S. Barber will teach you lift off oversteer first, and when to brake. they don't teach you left foot braking or handbraking right away.

here is a little tutorial, and please don't try it unless you are in a DIRT parking lot w/ NO cars, or anything, do it in a safe controlled environment.

Lift off oversteer:

go into the turn full throttle, this is a turn such as an L/R 3+ or L/R 4- to 4 +
if you start to not have enough turning, so a bit of understeer, just let off the throttle to about 50%. the weight will ever so slightly transfer to the front and bite in the dirt a bit more.

Scandinavian Flick:

go into the turn full throttle, if ur coming to an L3, let off the throttle, just as you make a quick jerky turn right. this will bite the front left tire, and as soon as you feel the bite, turn the wheel hard over to the left, this will cause a bit more of a drastic bite in the front right tire cause the weight transfer is better.

left foot braking:

Left foot braking is used for more drastic turns. you come in w/ the scandinavian flick, and just as you start doing the "flick" after the initial bite, so you are going into an L2+ and you did the flick right, then left, as soon as you do the left, tap the brake w/ ur left foot. just tap it, don't hold it. this will cause the most aggressive bite w/ the front outer wheel. rally driving in FWD is all about weight transfer. if you are still understeering, you can continue to blip the brake w/ ur left foot and it will rotate you more. and if all else fails, hit the hydraulic handbrake.

w/ this guys driving, its a bit different. ^^^ this is for rally driving, pavement "drifting" (using the term loosly, so don't flame me) is alot different, usually you don't understeer if ur car is set up correctly. but when you do, there isn't really bitting into the surface anymore, ur tires are already grippy. the same principals apply as above but are harder to master.

people think ebraking is the better way to go around turns, here is why it isn't!

when you do the left foot brake method, you keep the weight distribution on ur wheels w/ the power, the whole idea in a FWD car. when you rip the e-brake, you are not really transfering weight to the drive wheels, but pulling it off, so even when you stay on the throttle, you aren't transfering weight appropriately. the rear end becomes loose and no more bite in the front to control it. so when you hit the ebrake/hydraulic hand brake, you are on the boderline losing it.

when he pulls the ebrake, its more out of an ability to regain control of the car, so he may have a bit of understeer.

the handbrake though is used for most turns where you are at an L2 or less as the turn is more than a 45 so motion has to be transfered more laterally than linearly. but this guy knows his stuff. if you read my whole post, hopefully you understand the physics of weight transfer and bite on different surfaces.

IF you practice this, make sure you do it safely!

mlb

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #40
Jetta555
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76963
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus SE Metallic Grey

Points 944, Level 16
Points: 944, Level: 16 Points: 944, Level: 16 Points: 944, Level: 16
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Jetta555 Good Standing Member
dang dude that guy can drive a car for sure
- John 3:16

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.