03 SVT sway bar hitting body...need suggestions - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
SVTturd2003
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63645
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVTturd2003 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
03 SVT sway bar hitting body...need suggestions

I have an 03 ZX5 SVT and I'm currently running eibach sportlines and koni str.t shocks/struts. I am having an issue with my front sway bar hitting the unibody on the right side when making a left hand turn. If I'm riding down the road going through a left hand turn and hit a bump mid turn, the sway bar hits. I can tell the the bar shifts to the left side which pulls the bar really close on the right. The endlinks have about 8k on them and I just replaced the sway bar bushings with urethane energy suspension bushings and I made sure that the bar was centered when the bushing mounts were tightened. This clunk is driving me crazy, so if anyone has any suggestions please, let me hear em...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
SVTturd2003
Focus Enthusiast

Bump.... I need suggestions...
Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
It doesnt hit the left side ona right hand turn?

The only thing I can think of is the passenger side mount isnt tight.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
SVTturd2003
Focus Enthusiast

it only hits the right side on left hand turns and we have checked the mounts and the endlinks...
Old 04-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
norcalfocus01
Registered

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
And your sure its the sway bar hitting the body? I assume its hitting the frame between the wheel and engine.

Were the poly bushings, tight on the bar?

*EDIT*

Just thought of this, did you drop the subframe to put the bushing on? Did the subframe go back on square?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
SVTturd2003
Focus Enthusiast

you can see when the suspension is loaded that the bar is very close to the stamped sheetmetal in the inner fender on the right side and there is a lot more clearance on the left side. you can reposition the bar, but it always works its way back over to the left... it completely boggles my mind... if I had a little more $$ laying around I would just buy a new bar and endlinks. My Nissan master tech seems to think that maybe the bar is distorted...its never been in an accident or had any off road excursions so I really dont see that as being a possibility. It has been an ongoing thing for about the past 10k and I was hoping replacing the sway bar bushings would resolve it, but it hasn't...
Old 04-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
norcalfocus01
Registered

Its got to be the endlinks, Auto Zone sell their house brand Duralast endlinks for $12 each. I have a set on both on my Focus' and have no complaints. There very heavy duty and did make a differance on my car.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Does sound like the bar is not symmetrical any more, not easy to bend & pretty well protected but someone may have jacked wrong/jack slipped and jammed it at sometime in it's life. The Poly Bushings would let it "walk" more than the stock rubber ones (less sticktion) - look close for straightness across the middle/any marks from damage...
I'm guessing it "walks" to one side, then interferes at extreme suspension travel...
Unless the end links were the wrong length there should be no interference at any point in the suspension travel - lowering of your type shouldn't take it out of stock travel range.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
SVTturd2003
Focus Enthusiast

it definitely walks to the left...if driven agressively it walks almost immediatly. Ill try new endlinks first because the last time I replaced them it was with the ford factory end links. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to chime in. it would be much appreciated.

and BTW thanks for the input thus far

Last edited by SVTturd2003; 04-16-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: ...
Old 04-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
More info helps! - I wouldn't bother with links since you KNOW the stock ones are the right length - I was just covering all bases just in case there's a similar aftermarket that's a little longer yet bolts up right... Many similar ones out there...

Everything normal it SHOULD try to center itself instead of walking...

But if bent it would probably try to walk until the bend is centered between the mounts...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->