Car Wash. Newby question. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-22-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
ZX3NNJ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9248
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3NNJ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Car Wash. Newby question.

I tried manually washing my car and it didn't go so well. It came out terrible and still dirty. I'm not adept at keeping my car clean, but I want it to to look super nice.

Anyway, I'm taking it to the car wash place around the corner and I know people have their qualms against doing this, but was just wondering...

Do I need to take off my antenna when I go through the wash and should I cover up the hole where the antenna was or should I leave it on? Not sure how durable it is in the wash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2004, 01:55 PM   #2
bowersdaazian
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2963
What I Drive: '04 2.3 ZX3 ; FSW/JCM PWSC SVT

FF Reputation: 8 bowersdaazian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
what kind of washing place is this? hand wash? If its one of those places that uses those flat bristtles that swoop and slide all over your car, then your better off cleaning it yourself. Those flat brisstly things are basically dirt pads that rub in all the dirt into your paint.
But if your going to do it, then i'd think the antenna is flexible enough to widthstand the pressures of the wash. But im not 100%. If you have doubts, just take it off, it only takes 2 seconds.

"Jam Harder, Penetrate Deeper, Dispense Longer"
and
"In God we Trust, All Others we Monitor, Jam or Deceive"
Old 08-22-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
jpickles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 415
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 jpickles Good Standing Member
No, don't take it to the car wash...Wash ity yourself. you said you want it super nice, auto car washes won't give you that result.
You said you're not adept, learn. Not to sound harsh, but it's true. It's not that hard to do either. Just try and look on this board, and search the net for advice and tips and techniques on detailing.

I clean mine weekly, and find it very relaxing. It is a great way to learn your car and enjoy the outdoors.

There is nothing we can do, the hippies have us surrounded, and they look like they have the munchies!
Old 08-22-2004, 02:25 PM   #4
justinssvt
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 11998
What I Drive: 2003 cd silver zx3svt

FF Reputation: 1 justinssvt Good Standing Member
when u want to wash your car start with the interior and work your way out. vacume the carpet and the seats including the mats, then use a damp cloth and wipe down the dash including the seats cloth or leather, dont use any chemical on the dash or the plastic becouse eventually it couses it to crack. then wash the inside windows with a non streak arosole glass cleaner like stoner glass cleaner. then use a rim cleaner and wipe by hand eagle1 will do the trick nicely.use a wash mit as it does not trap dirt and stone like brushes do. use a nice foamy soap turtle wax has a soap with wax beads in it. then when your done use a shammy to dry it and wash the outer windows. it takes a while but youl feel better and youl never let any one wash it again. and get a pressure washer. hope it helps.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
ZX3NNJ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9248
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3NNJ Good Standing Member
Okay okay I'm convinced. :)
Old 08-22-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
jpickles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 415
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 jpickles Good Standing Member
I use vinegar and water to wash the inside of the window. I use crumpled newspaper,dipped in the water mixture and wipe the windows. Removes all grime from the windows. I smoke in the car and it gets all the haze of the windows and no streaks.

There is nothing we can do, the hippies have us surrounded, and they look like they have the munchies!
Old 08-22-2004, 03:16 PM   #7
gwag
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 11590
What I Drive: 2005 sonic blue zx3

FF Reputation: 1 gwag Good Standing Member
I use a hose, 2 buckets, wash mitt and a chammy. I have one bucket with soap and another with cold water. Hose down your car. I start on the passenger side towards the rear. Use the mitt in the soapy water, rinse in the clear water. I wash the top half of the car. Rinsing with the hose as I finish. Then I go back around and wet down the car and wash the bottom half of the car. Rinse and wet the chammy and dry off the car.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:21 PM   #8
FiiZh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5132
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FiiZh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
speaking of using a chamois, i can never get mine to dry the car off very well. any tips?
Old 08-22-2004, 08:26 PM   #9
waynestowels
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3433
FF Reputation: 1 waynestowels Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally posted by FiiZh
speaking of using a chamois, i can never get mine to dry the car off very well. any tips?
sure:)
Try a Waffle Weave MicroFiber and an electric leaf blower to make drying faster, easier and safer for the paint...
Check out the sticky post on top of the board for "tips & tricks"...
Old 08-22-2004, 10:55 PM   #10
Jimmy Tango
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9212
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jimmy Tango Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by waynestowels
sure:)
Try a Waffle Weave MicroFiber and an electric leaf blower to make drying faster, easier and safer for the paint...
Check out the sticky post on top of the board for "tips & tricks"...
Yep,, Waffle Weave MicroFiber are great,, and I think that I will have to go with the blower next time too,, water just hides to many places,,

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->