200 whp? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Jburks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE RR DCT

FF Reputation: 1 Jburks Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
200 whp?

Does anyone think 200 WHP is possible on these cars? I have seen numbers from _RED_ and Focusboy that are around 180. I noticed RED does not have a header yet and Focusboy doesnt seem to have a tune yet so maybe once they both get those things done they would be closer to 200? what if they added a ported throtle body to the mix and then updated the tune for that? I just bought my focus a week ago and have been on this forum a lot trying to get ideas for my car and i really want to get 200 WHP out of this car but not sure if it can be done. Maybe mid 180's to 190 is more realisitc.

Build thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382642
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119661
What I Drive: 2014 SGM DCT Focus SE (sedan)

FF Reputation: 2 4mikebruns Good Standing Member
I see a max of 190 happening. 200whp is pushing it. Never the less 190whp in our car is close to 210 crank hp which is on par with a civic si or vw gti, though the gti makes way more tq
Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
Jburks
Focus Addict

Yeah based off of what i've read so far on different threads it seems like 190 might be possible although i think the highest i've see so far is 183 from focusboy. But like i said both him and RED dont have everything done yet. I'm excited to see what their cars are putting down if they get more done. It will be probably over a year before i can get everything i want done to mine done so i'm using what i find out about their cars as a bases haha. I'm glad people are getting this stuff done and posting in on the forum its very helpful.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
with just simple bolt ons (intake, header, exhaust) and a tune, I think 190 is possible. Unfortunately, that's about all we can do relatively easily at the moment since engine performance part development for the n/a focus is non-existent. The 59mm tb might help, but who knows. You could get a set of stock cams and send them to Crower to get regrinded; that could help also.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Fan#: 123953
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE (Performance Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 Eminaga Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
I see a max of 190 happening. 200whp is pushing it. Never the less 190whp in our car is close to 210 crank hp which is on par with a civic si or vw gti, though the gti makes way more tq
190whp is way more then 210 crank hp and would walk a civic si or a gti.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
BecauseRacecar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 144817
What I Drive: 2013 MK3 Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 BecauseRacecar Good Standing Member
List of things to get gains without opening the motor:
intake
header
high flow cat
cat back exhaust
tune
E85
Each of those is +5ish whp, for round numbers. The combo of header, high flow cat, and cat back exhaust, is probably good for 10whp combined, or just do the cat back for 5-7hp alone. But if you want to max it, you'll need the other two.
That's about $1500-2000 of stuff, depending on how you go about it.
If you really REALLY want more, you'll have to take the motor apart and upgrade the cams, port and polish the manifolds/head, higher compression pistons and maybe new valves/springs.
Unfortunately that's getting into the territory of "Sell it and buy an ST" though. Because that's $4k+ of having someone else pulling your motor apart. OR alternatively, buy an Ecoboost crate engine for $6000 and save yourself a lot of time and money.
I HATE when people say "Sell it and buy an ST" but to pass 200whp that's how much it would cost. Even if you lost money on your current car.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecauseRacecar View Post
List of things to get gains without opening the motor:
intake
header
high flow cat
cat back exhaust
tune
E85
Each of those is +5ish whp, for round numbers. The combo of header, high flow cat, and cat back exhaust, is probably good for 10whp combined, or just do the cat back for 5-7hp alone. But if you want to max it, you'll need the other two.
That's about $1500-2000 of stuff, depending on how you go about it.
If you really REALLY want more, you'll have to take the motor apart and upgrade the cams, port and polish the manifolds/head, higher compression pistons and maybe new valves/springs.
Unfortunately that's getting into the territory of "Sell it and buy an ST" though. Because that's $4k+ of having someone else pulling your motor apart. OR alternatively, buy an Ecoboost crate engine for $6000 and save yourself a lot of time and money.
I HATE when people say "Sell it and buy an ST" but to pass 200whp that's how much it would cost. Even if you lost money on your current car.
Assigning everything a 5 hp increase is not a valid way of measurement, and doesn't tell the truth about the mods. Each one in and of it self may promise a certain increase over a completely stock car, but the sum cannot simply be added up to arrive at a wheel horsepower figure.

Long story short is the only way to know how much power the car makes before and after is to dyno test the car after each modification.

The simple answer to why people say to simply buy the ST instead is because it has a lot more modification potential already, and it's also why there aren't any off the shelf turbocharger kits for the 2012+ 2.0 L GDI Focus. Where as the FR-S or BRZ has no factory turbocharged model and there is a bigger aftermarket for performance modifications.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Jburks
Focus Addict

i agree witht he just buy a ST logic if you are wanting a ton of power but i'm perfectly happy with around 190 for a daily driver. Plus i dont know why but i just like a built up N/A motor more then a boosted engine for some reason. Just my personal opinion.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
BecauseRacecar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 144817
What I Drive: 2013 MK3 Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 BecauseRacecar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Assigning everything a 5 hp increase is not a valid way of measurement, and doesn't tell the truth about the mods. Each one in and of it self may promise a certain increase over a completely stock car, but the sum cannot simply be added up to arrive at a wheel horsepower figure.

Long story short is the only way to know how much power the car makes before and after is to dyno test the car after each modification.

The simple answer to why people say to simply buy the ST instead is because it has a lot more modification potential already, and it's also why there aren't any off the shelf turbocharger kits for the 2012+ 2.0 L GDI Focus. Where as the FR-S or BRZ has no factory turbocharged model and there is a bigger aftermarket for performance modifications.
Oh, I know none of those are guaranteed bolt-on WHP and 5 certainly isn't the magic number. The law of diminishing returns definitely applies. But "5ish" was based off of dozens of others' dyno numbers after their mods. The ISH was supposed to be the big part.
I'm not suggesting that putting a high flow cat on a bone stock car would be an instant +5 horsepower gain, that would be stupid. But if someone's doing a header and cat back exhaust, a high flow cat would probably open up and smooth out the exhaust flow a little bit, assuming they want every last drop of power out of their engine. That's why I mentioned ported and polished heads later on.
The gist of my post was that if someone is simply seeking numbers, they'll end up just shy of 190 before having to spend a LOT of money.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Someone will figure out the recipe eventually.
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq

Bookmarks & Social Networks