tune ,who to go with - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: WHOS TUNE
toms tune 177 62.77%
fswerks 73 25.89%
other: who did it? pros/cons 32 11.35%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #91
Usagi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64712
What I Drive: 2002 SY ZX5

FF Reputation: 4 Usagi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well, i must attest that Tom is the man.

Just got back from a 17-hour Day trip to my favorite mountain road. WAY too crowded to really do anything, but i was able to determine the tune copes flawlessly with anything that's thrown at it, including climbing 4000 foot mountain switchbacks under HEAVY load, and powering through awesome high-altitude twisties with style.

The stock tune had noticeable power loss at or near WOT when you got up high, but this is a MAJOR improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #92
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Memberscrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
blah blah blah

duratex=FSWerks
SVT=Tom

i dont understand why everyone who has a duratec normally bashes Tom.

for the folks that use McNews for their tuning ask yourself this. how many times was Ray on the phone with Randy? who really tuned your duratec? If Ray's customer service is the best, why does he charge you so much to re-tune your NA car?

i can attest the Tom's customer service is top notch. he answers your emails the same day sometimes within the hour. he'll take care of your tune for free! none of the other tuners offer that.

if you enjoy paying everytime your car requires an updated tune and you have a duratec, go with FSWerks and Ray.
if you have SVT, go with Tom.
^^these are big name tuners

other tuners out there can produce the same results as the big name guys. they simply arent forum sponsors, so thier names dont get dropped much. you just have to hunt them down and try to get them to find time to do it.

i am in no way bashing any tuner thats out there. i just want some of you know my feelings on subject. i fully support all of them and what they do. others are better at different setups than others.

btw, i voted for Tom
Old 10-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #93
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Memberscrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
just look at the poll results......
Old 10-20-2010, 12:39 AM   #94
kenzx3
Say NO to FRPP Drops

Fan#: 42651
What I Drive: '00 ZX3, '03 ZX3, '07 ZX3

FF Reputation: 125 kenzx3 Excellent Standing Memberkenzx3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
for the folks that use McNews for their tuning ask yourself this. how many times was Ray on the phone with Randy? who really tuned your duratec? If Ray's customer service is the best, why does he charge you so much to re-tune your NA car?
Not trying to start a fight but Ray called nobody during my tune with him.

And if you gonna claim Joe (Egz's) case or Justin's (Tantalus's) case for Ray re-tuning those NA Duratecs well that's just not correct. On Joe's case I remember first Joe's water pump going up on the dyno after the first couple runs then getting that fixed. Then when he got it correct Joe had Ray spend more time trying to get another horsepower out of it for the next 2 maybe 3 hours. Now for Justin's case, we all know how badly HTP eff'd up that car and how not even Justin knows what HTP really did with that car. Neither Tom nor Randy could get that car correct IIRC, Ray got it better than both of them.

Plus also with Ray, I'm glad he is the only Focus Tuner that has connections with both TurboTom and Randy at FSW. I'm personally glad that he can get info from both sides of the tracks, compile it, and get the best tune for my car. Getting multiple views isn't a bad thing, it's better than getting a one sided tune from an outdated vendor on here whose so arrogant he has to belittle people via PMs. I won't name names but I'll await my PM from him just like the prior times I've spoken up on here or FJ.

McNews and FSWERKS are the only two quality tuners I'd let tune my cars, and yes I have a Zetec and Duratec, it doesn't make a difference.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #95
SVTRSST
70 100 70 70 : (

Fan#: 50439
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 16 SVTRSST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
i think this thread is too general, the question should have been intended to either FI (supercharger and turbo) or NA.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #96
SHCSVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 59539
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SHCSVT Good Standing Member
bone stock SVT

Tom's tune hands down.
It's like my SVT has been asleep for years and suddenly woke up ready to brawl. This is the way the car should have performed from factory. I can guarantee it would have turned a LOT more heads.
I just started modifying the SVT and in all honesty you can't compete with free updates!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #97
fakesnake
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70482
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 fakesnake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just sold my 04 SVT and am selling my Predator on ebay after returning it to the stock tune. Forum rules prohibit me listing a link here so you have to find it yourself. It had Tom's Tune which I loved. He will reload a custom tune for your car if you send him the unit otherwise you can use the stock tune that comes with the unit.
2008 Black Explorer, SCT I tune 87 octane
2007 Black Jeep Rubicon
Old 12-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #98
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
It is no competition Tom is the best around for this stuff.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 12-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #99
Queen Jade
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76592
What I Drive: 08 WRB Subaru Forester XT Sport STI

FF Reputation: 2 Queen Jade Good Standing Member
I have had FSWerks tune since 06 with no problems. If anything, it fixed a lot of the typical SVT quirks such as the flashing battery light or hanging revs. I will be picking up their SVT turbo kit when it is available since their Zetec is already in production. I have been happy with their product and their services since 2003.

Tell someone you love them today because life is short; scream it at them in German because life is also scary and confusing.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #100
silverbulletst170
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32609
What I Drive: 03 Stanced ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 silverbulletst170 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I had Ray from Mcnews tune my car. did a great job!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks