Throttle Body Ground Mod - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #21
smithbobby04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64883
What I Drive: 2008 silver ses 2 dr. coupe focus

FF Reputation: 1 smithbobby04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
ya i grounded mine and dint notice a thing at all and i have an 08...just wastin money on the cable if you ask me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #22
usapatriot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73594
What I Drive: 09' Black SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 0 usapatriot Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithbobby04 View Post
ya i grounded mine and dint notice a thing at all and i have an 08...just wastin money on the cable if you ask me
It's OK, the whole "mod" only cost me $3 and 15min.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 AM   #23
whitefox
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54401
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony CC 2dr coupe SES 5spd

FF Reputation: 35 whitefox Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRODSVT View Post
agreed

There is no electrical advantage achieved by grounding the TB. It is grounded through the harness. For a ground to work it needs a positive. There is no live connection flowing through the TB's framework. All electronics are contained in the electronic throttle's circuit. Any gains are psycho somatic or placebo if you prefer.
In order to do a proper grounding solution to even come close to seeing any difference (or feeling a difference) you need to ground the throttle body to the battery ground on the body. Connect a ground from the throttle body to the fuel rail, the fuel rail to the strut tower (passenger side) and a positive from the starter solenoid to the positive post on the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
To help with some of the confusion , the SVT and Zetec engine is cable so correct there is NO use in grounding these

The later Duratec Focus engines have drive by wire (opens throttle plate electronicly), this has a small motor that opens the TB as you push the throttle (sensor) , The theory is with a ground the TB opens FASTER

Me, I have tested it on many cars there are a few that it takes a quiver out of the TB plate bu that was years ago and that issue was resolved

It does not do a thing , the flap moves with the foot sensor very well and at best would only help with WOT and a split sec sooner opening time and that split sec couldnt me measured with a dyno even

Tom
Tom is correct on this, there may be some noticeable change, but it would be impossible to measure and you are definitely not going to see an increase in HP with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithbobby04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by usapatriot View Post
It's OK, the whole "mod" only cost me $3 and 15min.
See the preferred grounding and wiring above. But of course this has been debated on here several times and pretty much been beaten to death. If you want any further info on this, do a search.
2008 Focus Ebony Clearcoat 2dr SES 5spd
Old 03-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #24
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
I know this is still being debated and probably will be for some time. But it is easy to figure out, just find someone that mentions their throttle response hesitates once in awhile, ground the TB (fly-by-wire only), note their response afterwards.

One of my staff just purchased a 2010 Fusion. The throttle response was so bad on the TEST drive he asked the salesman about it, he was told "it's not a problem, that's just how it is". I grounded his TB about a month after he bought it - throttle responds perfectly now.

Another of my staff was complaining about his Altima always hesitating when he floored it. Guess what, I grounded his TB and no more hesitation.

One more (I've grounded a lot of TBs). A lifelong Ford salesman brings his 08' Focus to my house, we talk, I ground his TB, he leaves. He called me on his way home to tell me he was thrilled and said "Why didn't Ford do this".

Hell, my own car. Occasionally the throttle did not respond as usual and I'd almost stall the car on a green light. Grounded the TB and have never experienced that again (going on 2 years now).

It's not about HP or MPG or Dynos or whatever - on those vehicles that are fly-by-wire and exhibit some anomalies with throttle response I (this is just me now) have found that the addition of a ground from the TB to the neg. battery terminal cleans it up every time.

So - my bottom line - if you have never experienced any hesitation when you step on the peddle great! If you have noticed a hesitation between your foot and the TB try grounding the TB, it won't hurt anything and I'm willing to bet good money the hesitation will be gone for good.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 03-31-2010, 06:59 AM   #25
whitefox
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54401
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony CC 2dr coupe SES 5spd

FF Reputation: 35 whitefox Great Standing Member
I couldn't have said it better, thanks Brad!

For those of you that are looking to do this for gains of (especially) HP, it will not increase your HP. Doing the entire grounding suggestion in my earlier post may increase fuel economy. Some have done it and lost MPGs, mine increased, and some have decreased. This upgrade/mod is all about current flow and responsiveness, nothing else.
2008 Focus Ebony Clearcoat 2dr SES 5spd
Old 09-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #26
Andrew
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6565
What I Drive: 08 Caliber SRT4, 05 ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 2 Andrew Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I just did this on my 05 for shits and giggles and it's crap IMHO.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #27
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
I felt like wasting some money the other day and I did this. A 4AWG battery cable from the throttle body bolt to the negative terminal on the battery.

I noticed little to no difference in lag from when I pressed the gas to when it di anything.

What I *DID* notice a difference in is the engine idling back down. Before, the engine would slowly idle down or not at all.

Example: Before, I shift at 2000 RPM, press in the clutch and let off the gas ... the engine keeps going at 2000 RPM. This 1) is not good for the synchros 2) makes it a complete to shift in the cold. I live on a hill, if I put it in neutral while rolling down the hill , it isn't uncommon for my car to idle at 3000-3500rpm in neutral.

This morning and all of today
I was able to shift normally! When I push in the clutch and let off the gas, the engine slows down like it should! It was a cold morning this morning and I was able to shift MUCH MUCH better.

These electronic throttle bodies are complete garbage anyway, and some are even worse than that. I'm thinking that for some it does something and others not - maybe there is a manufacturing defect in Ford's throttle bodies?

My pop's 2001 F350 has AMAZING throttle response for an electronic system ... the problem is the same as mine it always idles at 1500RPM-2000RPM. It'll actually drive itself down the road at 45 in overdrive without pushing the gas. Always done it since new.

My mother's 2008 Piece of Chrysler Garbage Jeep Wrangler (though I guess that's a redundant statement because Chrysler and Garbage are synonymous) the gas pedal has HORRIBLE response, the first 1/4 of pedal does nothing and sometimes - the pedal does nothing at all!

I'd like to try a grounding experiment on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I just did this on my 05 for shits and giggles and it's crap IMHO.
Your 05 has a cable actuated throttle
Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #28
09sessedan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92722
What I Drive: 2009 Ebony Clearcoat SES

FF Reputation: 1 09sessedan Good Standing Member
First off since this does deal with electrical every car will see different results as electronics aren't the most precise things in the world and this mod is mainly for people who are suffering from laggy throttle response. I just did this tonight before I went home from work and there is a noticeable difference seen in my idle as well as throttle response. It will differ from car to car as they all respond differently and are not the same exact car.

sorry for the wall of text but that's just my .02 and personal experience
SES #029
Old 07-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I want to bring this topic back up. I've been doing some research on "the big 3" as it doesn't seem to be that terribly common for owners of the late model Duratec cars. Typically, most people who do these types of mods are running massive audio hardware and don't care about the increased performance/efficiency this can offer to the rest of us.

I'll be doing some work this weekend with reinforcing the grounds on my car and I'll start with the throttle body.

My thinking is that by grounding the throttle body to the battery, you're just decreasing interference and resistance to the sensors and electric motor allowing it to react more accurately. One reason some may not notice a difference is that no two cars are grounded exactly the same. Some cars roll out of the factory with a poor ground contact due to paint or other variables.

When Miller88 states that his dad's truck had great throttle response, it's worth noting that Ford uses a heavy duty electrical ground on their trucks to avoid issues when towing and powering accessories.

I'm looking forward to trying this out over the weekend and reporting back. Us 2nd gen owners are always looking for mods since the aftermarket forgot about us, and this is a very functional low-cost modification that is right up my alley.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #30
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Alright, I did this on my '11 Sedan and throttle response is definitely improved. Highly recommended for drivers with manual transmissions.

Automatics probably won't notice anything.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->