New Shifter Knob..Killed my short shifter? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-19-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
jb10fan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8231
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT 3-Door

FF Reputation: 1 jb10fan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Shifter Knob..Killed my short shifter?

I bought this momo knob from Revamp and I love the way it feels, it really makes me feel like I have better control of the gears, however, the height of my shift is close to the stock height of the svt's shifter. I have the Steeda Short shifter and I am wondering, am I just cancelling out the effects of the short shifter? I always thought that the Steeda was engineered with different pivot points so it really didnt matter the length, either way, it feels pretty good, the throws do seem a little longer.

Just wondering everyones take on this, also wondering what everyone thinks of the looks here it is:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	momoshiftersmall.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	3674  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2004, 08:24 PM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Well you should still get some 'performance' from the STS cause STEEDA does actually engineer it to be more sporty but because of the added height of the shifter with the new MOMO knob it might feel like it's not really working like a STS probably should feel.

To be honest, there isn't any great 'significant' differences between the shifting feel from the stock one to the STS besides the fact that the throws are shorter. It also feels a bit tighter (when finding the gears).

Technically I guess a higher shift knob will 'deter' the short throw feeling.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:25 PM   #3
jb10fan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by S2
Well you should still get some 'performance' from the STS cause STEEDA does actually engineer it to be more sporty but because of the added height of the shifter with the new MOMO knob it might feel like it's not really working like a STS probably should feel.

To be honest, there isn't any great 'significant' differences between the shifting feel from the stock one to the STS besides the fact that the throws are shorter. It also feels a bit tighter (when finding the gears).

Technically I guess a higher shift knob will 'deter' the short throw feeling.
I guess im wondering..is that really a bad thing? It feels to me like I can get through the gears quickly, but some people place so much emphasis on the throws being so short..is it really that much better performance wise?
Old 08-19-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
scott77

Fan#:
No

Old 08-19-2004, 11:56 PM   #5
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Scott is right, it's not. I mean it's probably about 45% looks / 45% performance feel / 10% actual performance (for the fact that you can shift faster, etc)....
Old 08-20-2004, 06:44 AM   #6
Rudejake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9642
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVTF, #167

FF Reputation: 1 Rudejake Good Standing Member
I don't think the Steeda STS is all it's made out to be. When I put mine on it wasn't nearly as large as improvement as I was expecting/hoping. I think maybe I got built up on the hype and was expecting too much. To me, if it feels right to you JB, screw the engineering, pivot point, throw distance, etc. Sometimes things just work better because they feel more comfortable.

I've been thinking about doing to same thing just because I don't care for the way the shape of the stock shift knob fits my hand. The teardrop shapes have always felt better to me. How much problem was it to do? Doesn't the top of the boot attach to the bottom of the stock shift knob?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:30 AM   #7
jb10fan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudejake
I don't think the Steeda STS is all it's made out to be. When I put mine on it wasn't nearly as large as improvement as I was expecting/hoping. I think maybe I got built up on the hype and was expecting too much. To me, if it feels right to you JB, screw the engineering, pivot point, throw distance, etc. Sometimes things just work better because they feel more comfortable.

I've been thinking about doing to same thing just because I don't care for the way the shape of the stock shift knob fits my hand. The teardrop shapes have always felt better to me. How much problem was it to do? Doesn't the top of the boot attach to the bottom of the stock shift knob?
Yea, I love the shape of it, I kinda wish the leather was darker to match the interior better btu I don't think there is anything to fix that.

As far as install, there is a zip tie that holds the boot on tight to the stock knob, so I cut that, replaced it with another one, and strung it up tight on the knob. The knob itself has a bottom cap on it that sits on the bottum of the shaft until you have put the knob on, and then you bring the cap up and screw it on, after you have put in your screws to hold it in place.

I had to put a rubber washer in between the two pieces to hold the shifter boot up, im sure there is a lot of other ways to do this.

The bulb is universal and it has a bunch of rubber fittings that fit inside it to fit your correct size, it doesnt actually screw on it just pushes on and then u put in the 3 small screws to hold it in place. It is like a rock for me. Kinda rediculous that the knob cost 90 dollars new but I got a good deal on it thanks to Revamp (thank you!)

Italians sure are serious about their car parts, this knob came packaged like it was a turbo kit..lol.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #8
04FocusZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10264
What I Drive: 2004 Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 04FocusZTS Good Standing Member
I believe the sts's that change pivot points are supposed to give you the effects of a short shifter without the feel of one.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
SVTmonkey
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9482
What I Drive: 04 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 2 SVTmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The Steeda STS does shorten the throws, and by increasing the height of your knob, you are increasing the distance your hand has to travel...so ya, you're kind of cancelling the effect of the short throw, but with the new pivot point, it shouldn't make a big difference.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:01 PM   #10
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I can't answer your questions about the shifting but it looks like you're getting plenty of help with those things.

I do think it looks really nice in there with the blue interior!

Bookmarks & Social Networks