That power door lock actuator looks to be a PAIN to replace. - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #21
cri33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104111
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Focus ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 cri33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Power Door Lock problem

No I guess they don't build them like they used to but being a Ford economy car I guess I should have expected something like this might happen. I just didn't think it would happen so soon. Everything is plastic. I guess that is how they keep costs low and the weight down. The downside of course is that plastic breaks much easier than metal. At least they could use high quality durable plastic on the high stress parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #22
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's not a Ford thing, you will find the same quality of sub components on much more expensive cars too.

Honestly, it sounds like you have soured on the car due to frustration over a small issue. All cars will have small issues, so maybe you would enjoy the piece of mind a warantee gives.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #23
cri33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104111
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Focus ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 cri33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Power Door Lock problem

The biggest obstacle to getting the parts out of the car as I see it is the rod that connect to the door handle. It hooks into the mechanism at the top (which of course is plastic) and then connects somehow to the latch mechanism at the bottom. There appears to be no easy, safe way to detach the rod without more dismantling inside the door. Yeah I would say its a PAIN alright. (at least without tons of patience, the right tools, lots of light, maybe a mechanically inclined buddy to help, and maybe a service manual) I would rather rebuild an engine than do this again!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #24
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

You really should get the service manual off ebay. 3020 pages just for the 2003 model year.

This job isn't hard, it just has a lot of steps that are not intuitive.

Not just what parts need to be removed, but how to get the pieces off
"push here, slide forward" that kind of thing.

You could buy the manual and download it immediately for $10
paperback book will cost about $100 used

There is no bonus prize for figuring it out by trial and error, just get the directions and be done with it.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #25
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cri33 View Post
The biggest obstacle to getting the parts out of the car as I see it is the rod that connect to the door handle. It hooks into the mechanism at the top (which of course is plastic) and then connects somehow to the latch mechanism at the bottom. There appears to be no easy, safe way to detach the rod without more dismantling inside the door. Yeah I would say its a PAIN alright. (at least without tons of patience, the right tools, lots of light, maybe a mechanically inclined buddy to help, and maybe a service manual) I would rather rebuild an engine than do this again!
The procedure calls for removing the interior door latch, the exterior door handle, and the latch mechanism in the door that grabs the striker post.
To get the exterior handle off, there is an access grommet on the door, stuff like that is hard to guess.

Bookmarks & Social Networks