Just got another car, help me with this insurance thingy! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Exclamation Just got another car, help me with this insurance thingy!

hey guys, I finally bought that Mazda in my siggy for $150. I have the title in my hand right, now but I don't want to sign it yet as I have some questions maybe you guys could help me with.

So I'll be 18 in two months....... currently my dad is the registered owner and has his name on the title to my Focus. He is also the insurance policy holder.

What I'm wondering now is, I'd like to put my name on the title, but still be under their insurance (it's $100 a month for mine right now). I don't KNOW if I can do this, and I haven't found a straight answer (and I haven't told my parents yet ) but I dunno what to do. I'm going off to college this fall, and will be paying my insurance anyway. Also he'll be signing the title off to me for the Focus, and I just wont insure it as I won't be driving it (project car)

Again, I'm wondering if I can go under their policy for the same cost, or if it would be cheaper or not much more to just go under my own name and policy.

Also, IIRC they are insured under Geico and I think my current coverage is liability only (BUT I don't know..... it might not be, so there's no harm in saying it)

SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
BigRed03
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
in the state of florida, its different, im sure. however, i've been associated with my parents insurance since i was 16 and got my license. i'm sure if the insurance was totally in my name, it's be way higher. because of this, when i wrecked the red car, my dad had to sign the insurance check, which wasn't an issue other than he was 4 hrs away from me (i was at school) and it prevented me from getting the svt for another few days.

titles to BOTH cars have been under my name solely.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
mikebontoft
Toxx

^^ So INSURANCE was in his name, the actual TITLE in YOURS?
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
whitefox
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54401
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony CC 2dr coupe SES 5spd

FF Reputation: 35 whitefox Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You can transfer the title into your name and still be under your parents insurance. As long as you are living in their house and the vehicle is garaged/parked in their driveway, you can be on their insurance policy.

Every car I have ever driven since getting my driver's license, my name was on the title. My first car was in my name with tags before I got my license. Insurance was on my parents until I turned 21.
2008 Focus Ebony Clearcoat 2dr SES 5spd
Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
BigRed03
( o Y o )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
^^ So INSURANCE was in his name, the actual TITLE in YOURS?
well, yes insurance was in his name and my name because they billed me separately for my car insurance. titles were in my name. this was even living up at college (and they gave me rates for the city i was living in up there). pays to have a long standing relationship with the agent lol.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
mikebontoft
Toxx

^^ lol so kinda like how my old coworker's insurance was $75 a month as it was registered as a 70's truck :P

that's not good for me then maybe. Although the college may be in-state, it's two hours away from their address.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
BigRed03
( o Y o )

i was 4 hours away....me in tampa, parents in ft lauderdale...
Old 03-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
mikebontoft
Toxx

huh ok.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
i am not sure this is correct, i've tried it. i have a jeep that was titled in my name and i tried putting it on my parents policy. but wasn't able to. maybe its just MI

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
mikebontoft
Toxx

^^ yeah that's what I thought my parents told me too...... basically "If you want to have it insured under our policy, it has to be in my (dad's) name."

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->