Ford Racing Suspension Applications defined - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 AM   #11
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Monotube is also named that way as it is "single wall" - one solid tube - that generally has to be machined internally for a proper smooth bore AFTER any attachments are welded on.
The machined bore is truer & smoother than the simple tube stock used as an inner liner for typical double-wall shocks.
Advantages - better heat dissipation with no insulating air chamber between tubes, and tighter tolerances for better operation and longevity.
Disadvantage - If you dent one, it's shot! (minor dents in the outer tube of a cheap shock won't affect operation...)
As Geezer noted, the better quality components allow a high pressure nitrogen charge to help prevent fade from foaming...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
tetra
pwned

Fan#: 60621
What I Drive: 2009 Black Clearcoat SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 10 tetra Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
What about the M-18000-ZX3B? Same as stock SVT?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
Luigi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72176
What I Drive: 2008 Blue Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 Luigi Good Standing Member
M-18000-ZXM1 (the focus dynamic damper kit) Does this fit the 08 Focus? And would this kit be good accommodation to go with lowering springs? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
tjboston5676
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71200
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 3 tjboston5676 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
so the m-18000-zx3 says same as svt but will work with a 1.5" drop (about .75" on svt) ???? i have the the frpp springs and was looking for roush struts and shocks and they have discontinued and everyone has sold out in the past week or two :( but if i ordered the m-18000-zx3 would it work on my svt with the frpp springs
HATCH NATION #56

2004 Sonic Blue SVT!!! 2.5" orp and flex and trubendz catback, toms tune, steeda sts, custom intake, good ol motocraft copper plugs!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #15
sailor
"Elder"

Posted via FF MobileTj - shocks match 1.5 drop frpp Luiggi - next post lists those for newer focus. they are the stiffer/harsher option.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #16
Rotozuk
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 75980
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Rotozuk Good Standing Member
Just wanted to post a quick follow up on this after talking to Steve at Tousley Ford.

After reading a lot of posts about the "FRPP Suspension Kit" I had some confusion. I saw that the springs in the standard kit that many people reference are stock SVT springs, so where is the claimed 1.5" drop a lot of people quote.

Talking with Steve he confirmed that I could expect maybe .75" drop on my ZX5, not 1.5" If I wanted 1.5" I would be into the Dynamic kit, and that is track oriented, so much for the comfortable ride people claim, and a lot more money.

Steve basically said that the "FRPP Suspension Kit" is a series of different kits that people for some reason have lumped all together. The first post in this thread points out the major kits that are often referred to as a FRPP kit.

It would be nice if people would stop calling it an FRPP kit, and call them what they really are. If you bought the SVT kit, then please state that. And no, the SVT kit will not get the early cars much of a drop.

My quest for a new suspension continues. :(
Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #17
sailor
"Elder"

Posted via FF MobileConfusion abounds as there are "kits" with different components included/kits for various years/made up kits/some that are avail. or not at various times..... Overall, most posters refer to SVT kits as such, and anything with MORE drop as an FRPP kit, even though there are a number of those as well... Opinions on ride quality vary, but over time there have been notes on two different types of shocks avail. for a 1.5" drop, with the "dynamic" being the stiffer ride... Sources and details as well as availability change, so checking closely so you get what you want is certainly important. I ordered one of the SVT kits avail. for my `04 from Steve, and I`m NOT expecting a 1.5" drop from it, prob closer to .5" though I wouldn`t complain about .75"! Keep shopping `till you find something that sounds like it`ll do what you want.... Luck!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #18
SlateTheGreat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 63859
What I Drive: 2008 Silver SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 SlateTheGreat Good Standing Member
I was told that on my 08, this: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9601 and this: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9600 would result in a 1.5" drop and was a bit firmer than the SVT suspension. This is what I was always told was the FRPP kit.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #19
Rotozuk
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 75980
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Rotozuk Good Standing Member
Yep.. That's part of the confusion.. There is a 1.5" drop on the 2006 - 2009 cars, but not on the earlier cars. (the ZXM springs will get about 1.75 but with a harsh ride.)

Please let me know if I'm wrong.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #20
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Rotozuk, being new here you may be confused by the number of options available from Ford Racing. I have participated on this site for seven years now. I got tired of the lack of consistent information and thousands of questions about the Ford options and decided to do something about it. I believe my summary of the available Ford Racing suspension options is the first attempt at doing so and I personally believe its even a little more complete than the Ford Racing catalog. Sorry you don't like it but I doubt you'll find anything better at this time.

I and many others know there is "no such thing" as an "offical" FRPP kit but IT IS a very common name that has been given to a VERY common spring and shock combination. The name has been used for years but unfortunately some people also use it to describe other Ford Racing suspension combinations as well. So to respectfully disagree with you, the term "FRPP kit" actually means something specific to many members here and at other focus forums.

The "FRPP Kit" varies from the SVT kits (there are two versions of SVT kits) primarily with regards to springs. The FRPP kit uses a 1.5 inch lowering spring and the SVT kit uses a .5" lowering spring. The actually drop of ANY spring kit from ANY manufacturer will likely vary from the advertised drop as there are many variables that they cannot control. I have not heard of reports from members (and there's lots of them) who have installed the "FRPP kit" where the drop has been significantly less than the 1.5" advertised. My SVT kit resulted in the .5" drop advertised. A .75 inch drop from the SVT kit is, in my opinion, highly optimistic.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->