Nightly Boredom thread for the Night Stalking TX Crowd - Page 1390 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Regional Forums > Southern Fanatics > Fanatics: Texas

Fanatics: Texas Regional discussion Forum for planning events and sharing information with all Members in the Texas (Lonestar) areas.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #13891
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I wouldn't leave a note saying your looking for one. That just means they will price gouge you. I'm day dreaming about finding another one and fixing it up and reselling it.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #13892
Chris_HT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86229
What I Drive: Blue SVT 2002

FF Reputation: 4 Chris_HT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i just had the fking scariest ride in my SVT..... I hate Moore

so we did the timing belt during today's meet,
after getting the timing belt changed, CEL came up, 10:30pm, only sleepboy and tukani left.
altho it was late guys decided to give it a try and we did the timing again,

after everything was done, engine started nice, idle was ok, and during the 'run around the block' everything seemed just fine.

happy and all i took off on my way home, and that's when the fun part started:

- few minutes into the drive I kinda noticed it's lacking power, but no strange noises or anything so kept going

- I entered the freeway, and immediately it all went very ugly, as soon as i reached 55mph the power loss was huge, pressed the gas a lil more but the car kept slowing down to the point where I was unable to get over 3k rpm.

- first thought was that we messed something up with cooling, so I took the first exit from freeway and parked on gas station, all the gauges were showing normal temp but when I lifted the hood I felt a lot of heat

- inspected car with flashlight to see if there are any leaks on radiator or engine block, check the coolant level, everything seemed ok, there were 2 cars that just pulled over very close and kinda kept watching what I do so I decided to start it up and give it another try, CEL came on but I had to move.

-while exiting the station paid too much attention to everything around me and gauges, and kinda missed the fact that the exit from gas station was at weird angle and I smashed my undercarriage, veeery nasty sound indeed,

-I kept rolling at 20-30mph, mostly in 3rd gear trying not to pass over 2k rpm, with air condition set to heat and fans at max, praying the engine wouldn't die on me,

- while crossing 59 and beltway 8, of course driving along the freeway not on the freeway, I had a green light but half way into the intersection I noticed truck speeding coming from the other road, some drunk mexican almost hit me, I swayed to the side and he passed me by a matter of inches, and he himself almost crashed scratching curb with his front wheel but somehow he made it, but kept speeding.

- kinda shaken up I pulled to the next gas station to check on the engine, pulled the hood up, and had a good look at all the parts, it seemed ok, just very hot, and that's when I noticed car passing slowly and then pulling into the station, it stopped close by and 2 guys approached asking if i have some money I can give them for gasoline, by the time they reached my window I had already started the engine so just said i have no cash on me and rolled out of there.

-As soon as I reached the 3rd gear I had to make another evasive maneuver because of some fck-tard who after exiting freeway ran over 3 lanes without noticing me and almost smashed into my side. At that point I was already like: "hey... Lord, what da fck? enough is enough!"

- I turned into Hillcroft and as soon as i reached the left-most lane preparing to turn again I had another idiot speeding at around 60mpd (limit there is 35) and not noticing that I'm driving slow and preparing to turn, I accelerated with whatever I could muster up from my engine at that point, and the guy missed me but was so close that i felt the air move my car, I actually stopped and went out to see if it was just air or he scratched my rear bumper.

- soon after I pulled into my driveway, gauges were showing normal temperatures but I visually inspected the engine again, no leaks, just very hot, but after driving with the heat cranked up at max (in hope it would help to cool engine a bit) all the way I felt so bad that I decided to leave it for the morning.

Now... what do you guys think, may be overheating despite gauges showing good temperature? could timing being a little off cause that lose of power?

Anyway, I enjoyed the meet, was nice to see you guys again, thanx to everyone who helped me with that belt, and double thanx to sleepboy and tukani who worked on my car till past midnight to have it realigned. Ray (tukani) try to get some of the photos up here soon.

PS. Would anyone be so kind and drop a code reader by my house tomorrow? I really don't feel brave enough to drive it to Autozone to have it checked there.

PS2. Ray - that 2 things on the belt tensioner that you said should be aligned, it's way off when I looked at it at gas station with engine turned off.

Our Lady of blessed acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Tan View Post
But.... why read facts and investigate a claim when it supports your ideology?
...that should be written as 'The First Law of Internet Forums'
Old 04-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #13893
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Damn seriously?! The check engine light is probably the alternator code again. Were there any other lights on? Did you look at the t-belt and it's tensioner? What did the motor sound like was it sputtering, bucking, or making any weird noises? We should have driven it around the block more before you left. Has soon has it had a big power loss you should have shut it off and not keep driving on it. You could have cause more damage if something went wrong with the timing. If I get called off tonight I can try to come over and look at it. Look at the tensioner and see if the pointer is in the window still.

Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 04-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #13894
Chris_HT
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Damn seriously?! The check engine light is probably the alternator code again. Were there any other lights on? Did you look at the t-belt and it's tensioner? What did the motor sound like was it sputtering, bucking, or making any weird noises? We should have driven it around the block more before you left. Has soon has it had a big power loss you should have shut it off and not keep driving on it. You could have cause more damage if something went wrong with the timing. If I get called off tonight I can try to come over and look at it. Look at the tensioner and see if the pointer is in the window still.
ya I wrote it my post, that pointer on tensioner is off, engine didn't make any noises that's why I kept driving, but being very gentle and easy on acceleration and RPMs, only CEL was on.

i did some research, and found some thread here, from 2010, dude had similar problems and you and ray actually told him it may be the timing off, so i'm hoping i didn't burn the engine
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237019

Quote:
Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #13895
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Those are the same symptoms I had on my car the first time we did timing years ago.

It's weird and sad that it did that even after we re-adjusted again.

I will gather my thoughts, and get the reverse torx for the VCT and meet you at your place sometime this week to help you figure it out.

Don't know when yet, but let you know.

For those of you, we made sure that we were at TDC, both using the pin and looking into the cylinder.
We also cranked the engine by hand several times and were able to get the bar into the Cams a few times.
We also made sure the tensioner was in the window when we did it.

So, it does boggle the mind.

Everyone has a different way of doing timing, the way Paul and I have done it works for us, and when working with Nathan, he has a different method.

I remembered what we did the first time I ran into this issue, so we will try that next to get Chris back up and running strong again.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

TeamFocalize Head Honcho

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.

OFFICIAL FOCUSFEST PHOTOS POSTED:CLICKY HERE TO SEE THE AREA OF PHOTOS
Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #13896
Chris_HT
Focus Addict

Ray, leave thinking for later, now just get some good sleep mate, shit happens, and I'm sure we can do it right in the end, also learning something in the process.
And ya, for those who weren't there or just wonder, we did locked it in place, we used the timing tool, so yes it is weird.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 AM   #13897
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

We'll look at it again. Being it's running and not making noises then most likely nothing got bent. We'll come and check it out and re time it again as soon as we have time.

Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #13898
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
That sucks.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #13899
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You telling us.

We checked it a few times too.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

TeamFocalize Head Honcho

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.

OFFICIAL FOCUSFEST PHOTOS POSTED:CLICKY HERE TO SEE THE AREA OF PHOTOS
Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #13900
SvviftSVT
Release the Kraken!!

Fan#: 58277
What I Drive: Green-Eyed 2004 Black SVT #0461

FF Reputation: 9 SvviftSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
yeah, that does really suck. glad you dodged the accidents... and incidents...
let me know when y'all plan on retiming it. i might try and come out too. i need to borrow the timing tool to do my tensioner since we didn't get to that on mine.

coolant level fine?? no hose kinked?
TeamFOCALIZE!// HATCH NATION #45// October '12 ROTM

Track build will commence by Christmas (hopefully)

Bookmarks & Social Networks