'02 ZX5 non-airbag seats into '05 ZX3 (also with non-airbag seats). - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
mwalsh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56630
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZTS | 2005 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 mwalsh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
'02 ZX5 non-airbag seats into '05 ZX3 (also with non-airbag seats).

Scenario: Fit OEM leather non-airbag seats from a '02 ZX5 into a '05 ZX3 with cloth non-airbag seats.

Findings....

Rear seat.

No differences whatsoever found in seats backs. Backs from the ZX5 were exchanged as complete units, using the ZX3's original hinges.

However, ZX5 seat was a 60/40 split, both backrest and base, while the ZX3 had a full width base. But I was delighted to find that the captured nuts for mounting the new pair of hinges were still fitted to the ZX3 floor pan.

Front seats.

Front seats were, of course, from a ZX5 and therefore didn't tilt forward. I had hoped the remedy for this would be a simple as unbolting the tilt hinges from the ZX3 seats and attaching them to the ZX5 seat frames. Unfortunately, on the ZX5 (and I assume the same for all 4+ door cars) these hinges are welded to the backrest frame. So it was necessary to remove the backrest covers from the ZX5 seats and fit them to the frames from the ZX3. All other aspects of the seat back construction are the same, so the foams and covers are interchangeable (except that you need to make a small hole in the cover for the tilt lever rod).

On the seat pans, welded bolster support rods, similar to those found on all seat back frames, were omitted sometime after '02 and were definitely gone from the '05 seats. Therefore the foams are different between the two. Since the passenger seat of the '05 also contains all kinds of electronic gimmickry for the airbag disable, it was necessary to use the seat pan and foam from the later car and move the covers over.

As the foam from the ZX5 drivers seat base is also quite worn, I expect I'll need to do the same when I get to it this weekend, even if there are no electrical differences to take into account. YMMV in this respect, if your seats are in better condition, - it could well be that you can swap the entire pan with covers intact.

Will post pictures when I complete the install this coming weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Seamless
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 71356
What I Drive: 2006 CD SIlver Roush Stage 1 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Seamless Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey man, I dont mean to thread jack but could you post some pics of how you take the covers and foam off. I'm gonna install my roush covers soon and was wondering what I got myself into.
Classic example of
Cheap - Fast - Reliable
^ you can only have 2 of those at any given time. Choose wisely
Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
mwalsh
Focus Enthusiast

Front seat backrest cover:

Remove headrests by holding in tabs on plastic headrest inserts/guides while pulling up headrest
Remove headrest plastic inserts/guides by pushing on tab and pulling up. There is a hole in the top of the insert to stick a small screwdriver down, but I found it just as easy to push the cover down and apply pressure about where the arrow is pointing in the picture below. The idea is that you have to press the lever in enough for the catch part to clear the seat frame.

Remove seatback cover (and foam, since your new Roush covers include foam) by:

1) Unhooking plastic strip from the bottom of the cover
2) Begin pulling/rolling cover off foam until you feel resistance from the metal rods holding the cover taught against it
3) Unhook metal rods from both bottom and top wooden dowels (embedded in the foam). For some reason, even though they don't attach to anything but the foam, it is near impossible to remove the cover and foam until these rods are unhooked.

4) Slide hand under foam and unhook plastic strip (holding back of cover taught against frame) from the frame. First picture is plastic strip attached. Second picture is the bar this strip attaches to inside the frame. In many ways, this is the toughest part of the whole operation.

5) Pull cover and foam off seat back frame

Note: If you needed to retain the original foam, there are several hog rings holding the cover to a horizontal dowel near the top of the foam that will also need to be cut off.

Base:

Held on around the circumference with a rubber weatherstrip type deal* and 5 or 6 hog rings. Simply cut off (or otherwise unhook) the hog rings and press down on the seat foam to get enough clearance to pull the rubber strip off the pan.

*applies to '05-'07 only, as far as I know. '02 leather seats were held with hog rings at the rear and then a length of nylon twine passed through a sleeve at the front.

In the instance where you need your foam for installation of the new Roush cover, there are about a dozen internal hog rings to cut before the original cover can be finally be removed from the foam.

Roush front seat cover installation is basically a reverse of removing the originals except that the Roush backrest covers use hog rings (not included with the kit) to hold the cover taut against the embedded dowels in the Roush foam rather than the metal rods of the originals.

Last edited by mwalsh; 02-20-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
mwalsh
Focus Enthusiast

Bumpo. Pics added!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
MURDEREDOUT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84874
What I Drive: 2003 MURDEREDOUT SVT

FF Reputation: 2 MURDEREDOUT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Dead Thread Digger

What are these "hog rings" that I do not have with my Roush interior kit I'm about to install???

WHOO-where did they photos go to?

I was only able to find one pic of this Roush kit installed and it looked like the the lumbar cover fit like a cheap suit- is this what these hog rings deter?

Any pics out there?

Any other advice before I cut my face off?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
miragesmack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65159
What I Drive: 2000 Sony Edition Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 miragesmack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
You have to supply your own hog rings. Some folks have used zip ties. Pay attention to where they were on the old covers, and reinstall them there or in the general vicinity. Also use them wherever you need to tighten things up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks