Car won't start after sitting for 2 days - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Lawsone81
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 72825
What I Drive: 2008, Black, Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Lawsone81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Car won't start after sitting for 2 days

2008 Ford Focus

Last Thursday morning while on my way to work I spun out due to the car in front of me slamming on their brakes. It was raining and even though I did everything right, the car couldn't take it and spun out crossing 3 lanes of traffic. My car ended up resting with out a scratch on it on the shoulder with the two left tires on the concrete and the two right tires on the grass going down into the ditch. My car wouldn't start because it had a violent jerk as the book describes it. It just seemed to crank. I had all the power for lights, radio etc, but wouldn't start. After my car was jumped I drove off the highway, and it seemed fine. It is a miricle that I managed not to hit anyone and no one hit me (no one had an accident). My car would turn on and off with no problems. We took my car to my uncles shop, but it was fine just got a small alignment adjustment.

I used my car all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning. Then Monday when I go to get in my car, same thing. It wouldn't start, same cranking etc. We tried the fuel button by the passanger side kick plate, but not sure we pressed it hard enough or did it right. It still wouldn't turn on. Since Monday it seems to be ok, but kind of half a$$ing turning over. The car is only 2 years old, so I don't think it needs a new battery, and this just happened after being jerked around, so could something have come loose that is causing it not to start after sitting for a couple days?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
RedBaronSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53355
What I Drive: 2004 red SVT zx3

FF Reputation: 1 RedBaronSVT Good Standing Member
this may be completely different, but my car cranks and doesn't start about 1 in 20. my ford mechanic buddy said completely holding down the gas pedal while cranking would help, and it hasn't failed me since. try it
Old 02-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Have a load test done on the battery its easy to do. I doubt thats it, but I sure would eliminate that first from the list
Old 02-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
iroc34
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69289
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Taurus Limited

FF Reputation: 18 iroc34 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Hey Lawson, sounds like something is not making a good connection. The spin just knocked what ever it is loose. I would start by just listening first.
1) turn the key to on , you should be able to hear the fuel pump.
if you don`t check the fuel pump relay for being knocked loose , make sure your battery cables are in good condition, no corrosion. The inertia switch down on the passenger side kick panel , It will make a click when pushed back in from being released. It usually takes a pretty good hit to set it off though.
Did you possibly hit any thing or run some thing over?. No damage under neath
When was the last time the car was serviced? Plugs, wires , fuel filter? How many miles on it ?
Just trying to give you some ideas...

I still like the battery load test idea. New does not mean good...
Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #5
iroc34
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69289
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Taurus Limited

FF Reputation: 18 iroc34 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronSVT View Post
this may be completely different, but my car cranks and doesn't start about 1 in 20. my ford mechanic buddy said completely holding down the gas pedal while cranking would help, and it hasn't failed me since. try it
Hey RedBaron, Hows your car running , besides the occasional no start?
I know this has been discussed before, when you hold the pedal down all the way while cranking, I believe( and someone correct me if I am wrong)it cuts off the fuel supply. So your car is probably flooded or running rich.. When was the last time you had a tune up? How do the plugs look?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
underdogzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62625
What I Drive: zx3 cdsilver 2003

FF Reputation: 3 underdogzx3 Good Standing Member
weird this is the third post of focus acting like this!.. mine did it a while ago... sat for a week ( cuz i was going to send it to machanics on payday) and i went out to just check it one more time... started right up no problems... soo weird never seen anything like it... but let us know what happens gotta get to the bottom of this!
Team Focus Cleveland #9

blown engine = no more Growl..

IDK starting to like my subaru more its awd!

Bookmarks & Social Networks