My SVT still has a stumble/stutter, have a video - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
FenixFallen
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116389
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT 3-door

FF Reputation: 1 FenixFallen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My SVT still has a stumble/stutter, have a video

I posted a while back about this, but my car is still experiencing a bit of a stumble going through the RPMs at about 1500-3000. The problem is still most noticeable in second gear but can also be experienced in the other gears as well. Here is a video I made to go along with a datalog I sent Tom, but it was too dificult to sync them up because I didn't give enough timestamp info.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/hkvltdkvwxlz4yh/O6afwV1mrK

The issue can easily be heard in the video, since I was in a vacant parking lot and I stayed in second for almost the entire duration; you can hear it better in the second half when I roll the windows down, wasn't sure if the wind noise would drown out the sound but it didn't. literally every time I accelerated you could hear the exhaust note going 'wuh-wuh-wuh-wuhwuhWUH'. As far as what I've done to try to alleviate the problem, I've tried replacing the spark plugs, plug wires, O2 sensors, coolant temp sensor (because the temp dips in the graphs, but the temp sensor didn't fix that). My dad's a mechanic and he checked the timing to make sure it was right, and I've got Tom from Focus Power helping me with the tune, but so far we haven't had any luck finding the cause of this issue. The car has 111,000 miles on it, and the timing belt was done 8,000 miles ago. not throwing any codes either.
Has anyone experienced an issue like this one before? I'm sure it's something stupid and simple that I'm just overlooking, but I can't figure it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yeah, thats weird... I can see how that would be really annoying, how is your throttle response when it is doing that? Maybe your fuel filter might have a little bit of a clog or your injectors could be dirty? You might want to try running a good fuel system/injector cleaner thru your tank and see if that helps and change your fuel filter too.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
FenixFallen
Focus Rookie

I knew I'd forget something that we did lol; we already replaced the fuel filter in case it might be that, and I've tried injector cleaner twice (Gumout and Lucas) since I got the car a little over 2 months ago. I also only run 93 octane, usually from Mobil or Sunoco. What kind of gas mileage are these SVTFs supposed to get? I only get 23 at best so far, I might as well be driving my Mustang. I will see about checking the injectors, but if there was something lodged in one of them I would think it would throw a misfire on the datalog, so far I haven't seen any of those.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Marde
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In addition to ^^ fuel flow and injectors... Think I have read here that a faulty coil pack or DPFE system can cause this symptom.

You have a ZETEC engine right? Uh, yes, it's a ZX3 dummy.

Good Luck.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
FenixFallen
Focus Rookie

The SVT apparently didn't come with a DPFE or EGR system, that was one of the things I found while trying to google this issue. So far we have not tried replacing the coilpack, just the plugs and wires. I did pick up the pigtail for the coil pack though, as I had read that could cause issues as well due to the angle it bends at, I just haven't gotten around to splicing that into the harness.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Marde
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Note to self, SVT = no DPFE/EGR. Got it, thanks.

Do a search here and you will find lots of Coil Pack failures and symptoms for the ZETECs. Good luck on the coil pack pigtail.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
J10on40s
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58034
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 J10on40s Good Standing Member
I don't have any help per say but my car has done a similar thing since I've owned it. Thought Toms tune would fix mine as well. When it first started being dumb, if you went WOT it would pull through it, for half a second or so then clear up and be normal, for a while. It has been getting worse. Now it does it at idle sometimes. No codes, I'm tired of replacing stuff. One thing I noticed is when it starts acting up at idle... if I go under the hood and push on or move the plastic covering the fuel injectors (wiring harness) it will smooth out and instantly back to normal. do you have a temp gun? I was able to pinpoint which cylinder mine was missing due to the temperature being 200 degrees or so colder at the header. All the connections seem good, and if it was a dirty injector I'd think it would run like crap all the time, especially at WOT?
Keep us posted as to what you find out.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
FenixFallen
Focus Rookie

So since my last post I've replaced the pigtails on both my MAF and coil pack, replaced my coil pack with a new OEM ford one, replaced my wires with Taylor Thundervolts, and replaced my plugs with motorcraft copper core ones, but the problem is still here. the pigtails had no effect on the problem, the wires/plugs/coil pack seem to have made the car run smoother at least. when I took out the old coil pack it had a small crack in the bottom, so it wasn't a waste replacing that; the wires and plugs I replaced were relatively new as I had already replaced them when I first got the car two months ago. the plugs all looked good, I believe they were double platinums. I hadn't done any research on which ones to get back when we first replaced the plugs and wires, so I had creeping doubts about the plugs my dad got, which is why I replaced those again. I couldn't find anyone saying anything but good things about taylor wires.

So to recap I've replaced the plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel filter, both O2 sensors, temp sensor; did the big 3 upgrade, replaced the pigtails on my MAF and coil pack, checked the timing, replaced my throttle body with a 67mm one because someone dremmeled out the stock one, and I'm getting tunes from Tom... and the problem is still here.
j10, I'm not sure we have the same problem, I do know that if I'm WOT I get through the RPM range that it does it faster, but I can still tell it's doing it. in that video I know at least a few of those pulls were WOT. I haven't noticed it running any different at idle, but it do notice it only seems to do it when it gets up to temp. aside from that it's pretty much every time I go through second and sometimes third if I'm going uphill. other gears it must be so subtle I don't even feel it or hear it.
Marde, I hope I didn't sound snoody the way I said that about the EGR & DPFE, lol. just relaying what I've learned from others.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Both of you guys shoot me a datalog when your having this issue and the time stamp so I can go to that spot

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
tjboston5676
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71200
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 3 tjboston5676 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
ive recently ran into the same problem, i cant datalog right now my x3 is busted, but i will folllow this and see if you guys find a solution.
I replaced my spark plugs a week ago and it seemed to go away for a few days but its coming back and seems every day it gets worse. Gonna replace wires next week (probably needs them anyways) And i do also have a new coil pack because a month or two ago it basically quit working all together.
HATCH NATION #56

2004 Sonic Blue SVT!!! 2.5" orp and flex and trubendz catback, toms tune, steeda sts, custom intake, good ol motocraft copper plugs!

Bookmarks & Social Networks