Went to the track the other night. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2004, 09:13 AM   #1
Josh84
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 6601
What I Drive: 2003 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Josh84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs up Went to the track the other night.

Went to the track on one of the '$10 challenge whoever you want/race however much you want' nights, alot of riced out cars (even saw a riced foci..). Well, I went with my girl/sister, and my friend brought his z28, we get there and decide to watch the competition, I was hoping to see some of the other foci out there run but I never cought em, from what my friend said though, they were running real slow. Well, I decide its time to run, but what do I find when I get out to my car?? Yep...my keys locked in the ignition...first time in my life I lock my keys in the car, and its at a damn track with about 60 other tuner cars there....just my luck. Well we call a service and they come help me out real quick like. About 10 min later when I get my balls back I decide to run. I first raced my friends z28, I stuck with him for the first half or so, then he pulled... he beat me by about a car and a half, he also ran with overdrive on to give me a little handicap. I decide to try him again just to get used to the racing experiance (never dragged before). Well this one was interesting, I bog at launch (upstream o2 sensor problem). then grind second gear...I dont even know how much he beat me by...it wasn't pretty. We chill a bit and decide we'd like to run again, but we just line up behind each other to let someone random race us. He gets a mustang 5.0 and I get a acura integra (couldn't tell which model). This time I over compensate for the o2 sensor bogging issue and I burn my tires all through second gear, I do manage however to beat him by about half a car length. Next race a maxima pulled up to me, at first I didn't know what it was, he just asked if I wanted to run, I replied and pulled in to the burn out box and looked over. I kinda got intimidated because they have quite a bit more horsepower than my car does. But I actually got a decent launch and beat it by about 1-2 cars. That was my night.

SRT-4 Bone Stock...Just past break in ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Lil_RedZX3
Mtn. Dew

Fan#: 101
What I Drive: 2013 Taffeta White Civic Si

FF Reputation: 45 Lil_RedZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sounds like you had fun. What times did you run?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Josh84
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I dont even wanna say my times...they were in every sense of the word, pathetic...but it looked to be shared between everyone...my friends told me that the other 2 foci were running mid 17's...unfortunately my best time was 15.9...and ive seen other foci with alot less run alot better...it was my first time to a track, and I didn't do anything noticably wrong, I can only hope it was because of the heat and humidity....I did have a completely full interior...but i dont see that being a big issue, I think i'll run much better now that Ive got my o2 sensor fixed and I can run as hard as i'd like to, if I got some better than stock rubber I could launch at over 2k without burning out. If I do any less than that i would bog...

Old 08-28-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
jerryzx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9236
What I Drive: 2001 sangria red zx3 zetec

FF Reputation: 1 jerryzx3 Good Standing Member
what kind of 60' are you getting, also your 1/8? just curious. I would think you would be doing better than that even with spinning your tires. Are they spraying the track? you should do alot better with practice. Good luck next time.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:18 PM   #5
Josh84
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

umm, they sprayed the track about once an hour...I dont know any of the stats of my runs, I just had to look out the window as I passed under the sign, they weren't giving out slips...I would think that I would be in the low 15's even with stock tires...just doesn't make sense....gotta be my shifting, im taking it all the way to 7k, I hit peak at 6150...but I was hoping by taking it higher I would drop into a stronger part of the power band....guess I gotta experiment.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:25 PM   #6
AuthentiCustomz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7547
What I Drive: 03 Zx3--Matrix Edition

FF Reputation: 1 AuthentiCustomz Good Standing Member
ok, u said u pulled into the burn out box???....thats ur first problem...avoid the box...cuz u r just getting ur tires wet probably causing u to spin as much as u did....2nd....ur shifting at 7k??????...with ur cat cams...u should be shifting at like 6200 everytime...so basically by u shifting at 7k ur losing power
NEXT TIME U GO....avoid the burn out box....do a nice little burnout on the side to get the ires hot.....launch at like 3kish....shift at 6200....and i bet u run a low 15....well goodluck and let us know how u do next time around
Old 08-28-2004, 09:42 PM   #7
Josh84
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Hrm, thanks for the good info, very good advice. Appreciate it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks