Putting in a New Console - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-16-2004, 03:13 PM   #1
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Putting in a New Console

Ok, so after an epic battle with the little round plastic cover over the back screw in my console I succeeded in getting the whole thing out.

I have removed the part of the armrest that needs to be done to get the rest out, but now I have the part that the armrest bolted up to just sticking up in the middle of my cabin! Sadly the "armrest-less" console doesn't go on over that thing so it needs to come out, but it doesn't seem willing to comply with such a plan of action.

Has anyone done this and could tell me what to do? I've hunted for screws and bolts and found 2 10mm gold bolt-tops but removing them did nada. I also tried getting a good hold on the "tower" thing and pulling but that just resulted in an upset rib muscle, and the thing didn't budge. So I'm outta ideas and looking for new ones! Help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 03:21 PM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Did you take out the screws under the cup holders in the front? Not sure if the 2003 has them but the 2001 has screws there.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:23 PM   #3
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Yeah, the console itself is out, the 2 cupholder screws, the back one and the ones holding on the armrest. Just now there's a big thing in the way... I'll get a picture.

Here we go, I took out that gold bolt, and the one on the other side and they didn't seem to do anything:

Last edited by Lil PZEV; 08-16-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
S2
Retired Fanatic

Yeah I think I know what you are talking about, post up a pic though...
Old 08-16-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
I am so lost, wish I could help u.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:50 PM   #6
S2
Retired Fanatic

Yeah isn't that thing connected to the piece of 'plastic' that goes up along the ebrake handle towards the dash?

Try pulling back the carpet around the edges and see if there are any more screws, or bolts, whatever....
Old 08-16-2004, 03:55 PM   #7
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

It seems to be sitting on Top of that black plastic part you mentioned S2. The only thing I get when I tug at the carpet is what looks like the threaded end of screws/bolts!?

That's actually what's under the 2 gold "bolt-caps" too... it makes me worry that the heads of the little bastards are Under the car, on the outside? But that doesn't make much sense so hopefully I'm wrong.

It really doesn't seem like it should be a difficult thing to remove, since most of the Focus interior pops apart like Legos if you pry at the right spots! And I like that feature about it...
Old 08-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #8
S2
Retired Fanatic

They wouldn't be under the car but maybe there is a flat plate attached to the steel floor that has that 'screw' type thing coming upwards. It could also be glued to that other piece. Keep checking around at it, maybe pry lightly between the floor and the black piece where that bolt was and see if it moves. Also, pry lightly where the two black pieces touch together. Mine looked similar to that when I had my console out but I never needed to do anything with it (was installing my short throw shifter).....

Also, it shouldn't be moulded to the front plastic piece. Ford doesn't put armrests into all the car so I am sure it's just that piece that can be removed separately. It could be a really snug fit between the bolts coming up from the floor, like I stated, pry very lightly, just to see if it moves at all.....

Post back if this works or if you find anything else.... curious.... you sure there isn't any more bolts/nuts holding it down under the carpet? Can you see where that black plastic thing stops under the carpet?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:40 PM   #9
revamp
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Amanda....I saw the additional pics you had posted on FJ (I was looking for an answer for you) and from what I saw, you are on the right path.

I have an SVT and removed my console when I put in my STS. The back had 3 bolts, i believe, holding it on.

Looking around the main pillar, is there a 3rd bolt that you can see? (other than the 2 that you already took the nuts off of?)

As for those bolts (Sticking up from underneath), DON"T TOUCH THOSE! They are supposed to be like that and are not designed to be removed. All you'll succeed in doing is F'ing up the threads.

Like you mentioned before, ford pieces pop apart like legos....Do what S2 suggested and get yourself a flat-head screwdriver and gently pry at the bottom of the column (using another screwdriver for 'leverage') and try to get it to pop up. I bet it's got one of those 'pressure tabs' holding it down. As you try to pry it, try different spots to see where it is being held down at. If you find a spot that's held tighter to the floor than another, look closely for another bolt or tab or screw. If you can't, for the life of you, find something removeable, then I would just muscle it....I wish I were there to take a peek at it for you...

-Good Luck!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:57 PM   #10
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Thanks, I'll definitely be doing a lot more prying in the morning... but I very much appreciate the advice to leave the upside-down screws alone! I would've wasted a lot of time on those suckers...

I just wanted to swap out a console, this should be very simple!! Ahhhh!

Bookmarks & Social Networks