Gas pedal "frozen" on cold days... anyone know? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Vortechtral
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 72709
What I Drive: 2006 Blue ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Vortechtral Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Gas pedal "frozen" on cold days... anyone know?

Hey, ok heres the deal. My dads 2006 Focus ZX4 on cold days, the gas pedal as far as I know is frozen. Cannot be pressed in at all, almost feels like there is a piece of wood inside blocking the path. This has happened twice now, and only when I leave from work to go home. Sits out in the cold for 7hrs. One night it was about -14c this morning was about -18c nothing TOO cold. I have to let it idle for 10-15minutes then I start pumping the pedal till it finally gives. Again makes me wonder about freezing and the ice thawed enough to break free?

Heres the other bit that has me wondering. See when I leave for work at night, the car has been sitting in the cold, -8c to around -18c as a rule, but plugged in of course. I dont see the blick heater being plugged in has anything to do with this problem, so we can leave that out.

I red that there have been some sticky pedals that Ford will not cover under warrenty. Thats all fine and dandy, but I would just like to find out why this is happening, and if there is a way to prevent it from happening again.

Thats about all I can think of atm. If anyone has some useful info please report! Idling in the cold waiting for the car to slowly warm up really sucks. I just wanna drive to warm up faster! I also just want this problem to stop completely.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
X6StringerX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64835
What I Drive: FOCUS!!!

FF Reputation: 3 X6StringerX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Carefully remove the intake tube between the air filter box and the throttle body and I suspect you'll find that the butterfly in the throttle body is pretty nasty. CRC makes an excellent aerosol throttle body cleaner that you can pick up at Napa or probably any other auto parts store for about $6-$8 a can. I recently had to clean mine and can tell you that it is much easier and more thorough to remove the throttle body prior to cleaning. Be careful with the little plastic retainer clip that holds the throttle cable to the throttle body.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
liquid_02_ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48652
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 liquid_02_ZX3 Good Standing Member
You have moisture in your throttle cable, its freezing when its gets cold. Replacing your throttle cable would be the best fix to this.
Ported FC Head 10.5:1, Comp Stage III's w/ CFM gears. Taylor T-volts, 6.1 SRT NGK Plugs, Contour IM & TB, AFX UDP, 4-1 header, 2 1/2" catback, Sniper Tuned, A/C delete. B&M STS, Eibachs on KYB AGX's, 225/50/16 rubber
Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
iroc34
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69289
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Taurus Limited

FF Reputation: 18 iroc34 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_02_ZX3 View Post
You have moisture in your throttle cable, its freezing when its gets cold. Replacing your throttle cable would be the best fix to this.
X2. Cable is getting frozen and then thaws.. Good call liquid 02
Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
liquid_02_ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Be very careful until you get the cable replaced. If you put to much tension on that cable you could snap it. Then you have a 2700lb yard ornament until you receive your new cable.
Ported FC Head 10.5:1, Comp Stage III's w/ CFM gears. Taylor T-volts, 6.1 SRT NGK Plugs, Contour IM & TB, AFX UDP, 4-1 header, 2 1/2" catback, Sniper Tuned, A/C delete. B&M STS, Eibachs on KYB AGX's, 225/50/16 rubber
Old 02-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
You could also take the cable loose, hold it up in the air, spray some WD40 down into the cable... this should help lube the cable and displace the water at the same time.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Vortechtral
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 72709
What I Drive: 2006 Blue ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Vortechtral Good Standing Member
Not a HUGE car guy.. sadly. I dont know much about this, and its cold out. Im guessing all this stuff is gunna happen under the car? Id need ramps and get on my back to get dirty? Or should I be getting a dealership do this? There a price estimation on this fix? Is there a website where I can buy this stuff online cheaper then from a dealership then bring it all in for them to fix?

Too many questions I know.

Im gunna look for a service manual and see what im up against. See if its possible for me to do this job or not. I have done small bits of work on my Sprinter in the past, and on my Dakota.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
liquid_02_ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT View Post
You could also take the cable loose, hold it up in the air, spray some WD40 down into the cable... this should help lube the cable and displace the water at the same time.
With the cable off, you may as well replace it. Do it once, do it right and be done.

My friend has a sticking e-brake cable to his LR or RR caliper cant remember which. He is determined he can displace the water with a lubricant and not have to buy a cable. Two years of sticking cable and failed attempts at fixing it, he bought the cable and replaced it and hasn't has a problem since.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
homeboyjames
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35230
What I Drive: 07 Black ST Check profile for mods

FF Reputation: 6 homeboyjames Good Standing Member
mine had done this the past 2 winters. Make more for a lead foot :P i actually took it apart a few weeks ago and sprayed it with the cleaner and it really helped until it was -4 out last week and it did it again. Now mines not fully frozen i can still press it just the first ease is sometimes harder than others
-=ST CREW #61=-
-=SEDAN REVOLUTION #77=-
Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
alz focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67546
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 5 alz focus Good Standing Member
I replaced my cable on my last Focus. $104US at the dealership. It is very simple to replace. Unclip from from throttlebody, unclip from pedal, and feed it thru the firewall. No special tools, maybe a screwdriver and a pair of pliers at most.
2006 Freestyle SEL AWD

Bookmarks & Social Networks