automaticly locking doors? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-13-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
StangGuy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 11205
What I Drive: 96 Mustang GT, 05 Focus ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 StangGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
automaticly locking doors?

hey guys. first post here.

just to clarify things. my household has 3 Foci total (student living at home)my Grandpa has a 2 week old fully loaded 05 ZX4 SES, i have a fully loaded 02 ZTS for a DD (and my mustang for a weekend type car). and my Grandma drives a comfortably optioned 04 SE (she dont like gadgets like we do) now im not sure if my 02 ZTS does this or not. my gf has it right now so i cant test it. we know for a fact the new 05 doesnt do it neither cause we tested it after we saw the 04 do it. so far its only been noticed on the 04 SE, my grandmas.

heres the deal. she comes out of kroger and walks to the car with her groceries. she uses the keyfob to first unlock the front door. and to pop open the trunk. shell open the door to put her purse inside. close the door. walk to the rear and load her groceries. when she finishes, she closes the trunk, walks her buggy to the closest corral. and comes back.

surprised to find the door is now locked. when she knows for sure it was unlocked 2 minutes earlier.

well luckily for my grandma shes a worrier. so she never leaves her keys inside the car for anything, and had them in her pocket. so instead of being locked out. she opened it rigth up and left. but still very confused of how it happened.

she comes home and tells me and grandpa. well were both sketchy on it. why would a car lock automaticly if its off and unlocked. now the doors locking when you put the car in gear and pull off is normal. but this just seems like a problem waiting to happen and we think she hit the button on accident.

so we go out to the car with her and we walk through it. we get to the part where shed be walking her buggy away and the car was still unlocked. well i started talking and saying she probaly just hit the button and didnt know it. well as soon as those words came out of my mouth, i heard teh door click locked. mutha Fer.

so i then do it again holding the keys myself. i just had to see this for myself. and sure enough. if you do that sequence above (unlock doors, then trunk, close trunk, and wait) the doors have yet to fail to lock within a minute or so.

just wondered if anyone has had any experience with this. it seems ford had to have programmed it to do this. its too consistant for it to be a malfunction. but why the 04 and not the 05? maybe they figured out it was a bad idea. im gonna try later tonight on our 02 and see what it does.

but what a dumb move on fords part if they made it do this. not only for slow older folks. but say you go to teh car wash. you get out to go get chance and lock the doors. you come back and unlock the doors and pop the trunk. you slide inside to grab some tire shine or something. and lay your keys in the seat. you get in the trunk fro some towels or somethign else and shut it. you thenm wash your car, just to find out your car locked you out. ford needs to start drug testing designers

-96 Mustang GT
-05 Focus SES ZX4
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
KimmySueZX5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 1484
What I Drive: 03' Twilight Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 KimmySueZX5 Good Standing Member
My 03' ZX5 automatically locks itself if I do not start the car after unlocking it. Even if I unlock, get in and sit - it will lock me in.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Do the mod for that.... link is below....

http://www.focusfanatics.com/howtos/autolock/
Old 08-13-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
StangGuy
Focus Rookie

hey thats awesome. i was hoping id find something like that on here. thanks a lot! :D

-96 Mustang GT
-05 Focus SES ZX4
Old 08-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #5
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
No problem, that's what I am here for......
Old 08-14-2004, 12:05 AM   #6
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Yes, if u unlock the front door and then shut it and go somewhere else, as your trunk or something after a few seconds they automatically lock. It will give a tiny chirp inside, the headlights, the gauges, the blinkers and horn bleeps slightly and your lights go and off. Try it while inside, unlock the door and sit in there, it will do it. Kinda cool, I say.
It will not do it though if the car is on, so don't worry about that, but yeah don't leave your keys in there and do it.
I actually love that feature, cause what if u forget 2 lock your doors.
I dunno, I like it.
I also have a 02 ZTS, great family u have, all Foci's and a Mustang, the cherry on the top huh?
Old 08-14-2004, 12:12 AM   #7
guerro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 339
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 guerro Good Standing Member
The only time mine will auto lock is if I unlock the car with the keyfob and don't open either door. After 45 seconds the doors relock. This is so if you accidentally hit the unlock button when puting your keys in your pocket the car will relock itself. I have yet to have my car lock itself in the manner described above.

edit: Just tried to replicate the above scenerio using my vehicle and was unsuccessful. However, I did notice that it seems the unlocking/opening of the hatch is seperate from opening/unlocking the doors. Meaning, I unlocked my doors, DID NOT OPEN EITHER, unlocked my hatch, opened the hatch and closed it, and waited. My doors relocked after 45 seconds, just the way they do if I hit the unlock button and don't open either door as I explained above. It seems the hatch/trunk is on a seperate section of the locking scheme.

Last edited by guerro; 08-14-2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:53 AM   #8
StangGuy
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by CKA
Yes, if u unlock the front door and then shut it and go somewhere else, as your trunk or something after a few seconds they automatically lock. It will give a tiny chirp inside, the headlights, the gauges, the blinkers and horn bleeps slightly and your lights go and off. Try it while inside, unlock the door and sit in there, it will do it. Kinda cool, I say.
It will not do it though if the car is on, so don't worry about that, but yeah don't leave your keys in there and do it.
I actually love that feature, cause what if u forget 2 lock your doors.
I dunno, I like it.
I also have a 02 ZTS, great family u have, all Foci's and a Mustang, the cherry on the top huh?

well thats kinda weird. i just ran outside and tried on my 02. the doors do lock after a lil bit but the lights didnt blink, horn made no sounds, and interior lights didnt flash. the doors simply locked back. it was daylight out earlier when we tried it on the 04. but the horn didnt sound. not sure about the lights on it the new 05 doesnt do it at all though. unlock it with the fob and it will stay locked until you lock it back.

im gonna try the how to above in the morning on my grandmas car. she really dont like the feature at all. and for a slower moving person i dont think its a good idea either. im glad theres a way to disable it though. im not sure if im gonna do it to mine yet or not. i know plenty of times ive hit the fob inside on accident just to hear the panic sound, or go out the next morning and the trunk will be popped

and thanks for the compliments on our garage. were a die hard ford group here. grandparents lease 2 cars alternating so they get a new car every year. grandpas on his 3rd focus now. first was a 00 ZTS sony edition, then a 02 ZTS (my current car), and his current 05 SES (he wanted an ST but ford dont offer an auto in them) hes crazy over the things though. grandma used to get tauri every time but last time chose a focus cause she wanted something smaller. and i got mine a few weeks back when grandpa got his 05, i took over thhe car after his lease was up. the Mustang ive had for 3 years. but as the modding started getting crazier drivability goes down teh drain and i needed something cheaper on gas. hence the Focus daily driver. and i love it!

-96 Mustang GT
-05 Focus SES ZX4
Old 08-14-2004, 02:35 PM   #9
guerro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 339
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 guerro Good Standing Member
You won't lock the keys inside. If you unlock the doors and open one of them, then it won't automatically lock. It only relocks if you unlock with the fob and do nothing. The car thinks the unlock button must have been accidentally pressed and locks the doors back. Opening the door canadels the auto relock action. I suspect your grandmother unlocked the doors then the trunk but never opened either door. Thus causing the doors to relock. The door thing seems to be independent of the trunk unlocking.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:40 PM   #10
StangGuy
Focus Rookie

no, ive done it too. cause when she first told us i had to see for myself. it still locks even if the door is opened. when i tried it i unlocked the driver door, then popped the trunk. opened and closed the driver door, went and opened the trunk fully then shut it. and approx 45 seconds later the door locked. i know for sure the door was opened though. ive also been talking to a coupel other local focus guys and one of them had it actually lock the keys in the car on him. :dunno:

-96 Mustang GT
-05 Focus SES ZX4

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.