Air bag warning light... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Aaflac
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 72246
What I Drive: 2000 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 Aaflac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Air bag warning light...

The airbag light on the dashboard normally shuts off after starting the car, but, a few days ago it stayed on, and will not shut off.

Any risks associated with this? Could the airbag deploy without warning? Could the car shut down while going down the road? Will it damage anything to leave the light on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Have a great week!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
stan170
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 39944
What I Drive: 2003.magnum grey.ST170

FF Reputation: 1 stan170 Good Standing Member
SRS Fault Codes
Fault codes are flashed by the airbag light. A single flash with a few seconds between it is Code 1. A double flash and a pause is code 2 and so on. The codes are as follows:
1 Flash Drivers airbag failure - or open circuit to airbag (check Mylar clock spring connection)
2 Flashes Passenger Airbag failure - or open circuit to airbag
3 Flashes Failure of both airbags
4 Flashes Pyrotechnic seatbelt pre-tensioner failure (Either side)
5 Flashes Drivers airbag failure - System shorted
6 Flashes Passenger airbag failure - System shorted
7 Flashes Drivers crash sensor failure
8 Flashes Passenger crash sensor failure

The most common failure is code 1. It looks as if the light is simply flashing on and off, but if this is seen the driver’s airbag Mylar connector should be checked for security. After disconnecting the battery and waiting at least 15 minutes the airbag can be removed from the steering wheel by undoing the Torx screws through the rear of the steering wheel lifting the airbag off and checking the multiplug on the clock spring because this can work loose. Reconnect and reinstall the airbag fully before reconnecting the battery.

Any help to you ,taken from uk spec ford .Think the codes would be the same?not heard of the light staying on constant .
Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Aaflac
Focus Rookie

Thank you for the reply, stan170.

The airbag light on the dashboard will not shut off. However, it is not flashing.

Would appreciate knowing if anything will be damaged if the airbag light on the dashboard is left on?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Demon09
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72257
What I Drive: 2007 Black ZX4 SES w/ SAP

FF Reputation: 1 Demon09 Good Standing Member
Mine is doing the same thing. I checked the connectors under the seats, got nothing there, the light is still on solid. Also took a look at the fuses under the dash, no luck there either.

I did the odometer test mode, it showed 2 (possibly 3 codes). The first is 9318 (low battery voltage). I had the battery checked at a very good battery center, they said its all good, alternator is good too, so maybe that's an old code.

The second code (I can't find what it is anywhere) was 9868.

The last one (not sure if its really a code at all) looks like its d900.

After I got the battery checked the light went off, but I'll see tomorrow if it comes back on after I drive it to work.

So far I'm stumped as to what the airbag deal is. If worse comes to worst, I may just take it to a dealer.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Aaflac
Focus Rookie

Demon09, thanks for the info.

Was the battery disconnected when it was checked?

Sure hope it does not come back on for you!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Demon09
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72257
What I Drive: 2007 Black ZX4 SES w/ SAP

FF Reputation: 1 Demon09 Good Standing Member
No, I did disconnect the battery for 15 minutes on Sunday, but the light came back on later.

Today when they tested the battery, first they did an alternator test with the engine on, then shut it off and tested the battery itself, but never disconnected anything.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
montum_81
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 65027
What I Drive: 2009 red focus coupe

FF Reputation: 1 montum_81 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon09 View Post
Mine is doing the same thing. I checked the connectors under the seats, got nothing there, the light is still on solid. Also took a look at the fuses under the dash, no luck there either.

I did the odometer test mode, it showed 2 (possibly 3 codes). The first is 9318 (low battery voltage). I had the battery checked at a very good battery center, they said its all good, alternator is good too, so maybe that's an old code.

The second code (I can't find what it is anywhere) was 9868.

The last one (not sure if its really a code at all) looks like its d900.

After I got the battery checked the light went off, but I'll see tomorrow if it comes back on after I drive it to work.

So far I'm stumped as to what the airbag deal is. If worse comes to worst, I may just take it to a dealer.
i got same problem with you but the difference is it the ENGINE CHECK SOON wont turn off for a reason its just in solid orange, so i brought it to my dealer for service and they say nothings wrong with my car because they complimentary check all the posibility and scan it in their comp, they just reflashed my electronincs system and its all good now, im not saying that it might answer your problem in that way too but theres no harm for trying it. its just my opinion man!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
mtadd162
Proudly Daily Driven

Fan#: 47890
What I Drive: 2005 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 9 mtadd162 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
well i dont know if it would the same problem with you but on my 05' i had the same issue, air bag light came on and stayd on...never blinked...and i got it checked and replaced under warranty, it was a "pretensioner" dont know what it is, but hopefully that can point you in the right direction
-ST Crew #73 N/A FTW!
Feb. 09' ROTM
SSR - Silver Sedan Revolution Member #1
Cams Installed, great made my car into a VTAK
Old 01-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
quick question, does your cruise and horn work? if one of them (especially the cruise) doesn't, the clock spring is bad which will also light the airbag light since the one on the steering wheel is disconnected.
This is what mine was and what I discovered the problem was
Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
Aaflac
Focus Rookie

Thanks, everyone, for all the info.

The horn does work. As far as the CC, have not checked it recently. Will do so and see if it still works.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->