Focus newbie questions - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-21-2003, 08:26 AM   #1
Soon2BownerOfSVT-F
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1360
FF Reputation: 1 Soon2BownerOfSVT-F Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus newbie questions

Whassup guys (and girls). I just joined these forums yesterday with the goal of getting an SVT Focus but now after researching the ZX3 and SVT through the posts on this site, I'm probably going for the ZX3. I'm gonna be doing a lot of upgrades right outta the box and wanted some opinions from people who have modded their focus.

First off, Im getting the obvious intake/exhaust (probably from focussport.com). What upgrades should I get following those? Header? Chip? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Looks are secondary to me. I want speed and handling first.

What is autox?

Anyone have installed the Quaife ATB? Is it a good investment?

Im no newbie to the sport compact scene. All my friends are Honda freaks and have been around modded cars for almost 6 years now. Just never really got into domestic sport compacts until recently. Wanted to be different from all the civics, integras, etc.

Thanx for your replies in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 09:08 AM   #2
blackandgold
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 495
What I Drive: 2008 VW GTI 2006 Ford Explorer LTD

FF Reputation: 1 blackandgold Good Standing Member
Well if you want speed get tom's turbo kit. Best bang for the buck IMO. The chip is worthless if you have a 5 speed so don't worry about that till much later. You could gut the hatch and get lighter and bigger wheels.

Autox is auto cross. Not extrememly popular over here in the states but is more widely accepted in Europe.

Not many people here have a quaife. They are very expensivem but the really help provide traction to both front tires instead of peeling out tihe one tire. This mod would be later on in the process as well because it is almostworthless without the mods too push it first.

hope that helps
^ what the hell is that supposed to mean, you quote me and then put down some american eagle sh**
Old 10-21-2003, 09:13 AM   #3
ososickzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1288
What I Drive: Soon...944 LT1

FF Reputation: 1 ososickzx3 Good Standing Member
who knows how much weight approx. u could drop by gutting the hatch?
Old 10-21-2003, 09:17 AM   #4
Soon2BownerOfSVT-F
Focus Rookie

yeah, im definately getting the ZX3 hatchy (probably a 2003 since they are trying to clear them out for the 2004). What consists of doing "auto cross"? I would like to have the best handling (my favorite feature) possible for the focus. Any suggestions on brands? I've just pretty much looked at focussport.com because they seem to have a really detailed site and know their sh!t.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:21 AM   #5
blackandgold
Focus Fanatic

Nothing wrong with a 2003 that is what i have :) An idea of autocrossing reminds of dirt track racing except there is a lot more skills involved and alot more turns that go RIGHT and left. In professional auto you would have a co driver telling you where to turn. To get a good idea check out Colin McCrae racing 3.0 for PS2 and X-box.
^ what the hell is that supposed to mean, you quote me and then put down some american eagle sh**
Old 10-21-2003, 09:22 AM   #6
Soon2BownerOfSVT-F
Focus Rookie

so what would be ur recommendations for priority upgrades? Obviously besides the intake/exhaust.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:55 AM   #7
blackandgold
Focus Fanatic

heh there are much more qualified guys on here than me but i would say if you are interested in handling get some Ford Racing Coilovers and Eibach sway bars.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:08 PM   #8
llama_in_a_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 392
What I Drive: 2001 Excursion (ISO another foci)

FF Reputation: 1 llama_in_a_focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
as far as gutting, you can lose 120 by taking out the rear seats, and seat belts, about 20-30 from
the sound deadner, (took me about a week to get it all out, pm me if you are going to do this and i will help you with it) and about 20-25 pounds with the carpet, headliner, and molding from the inside and outside. this includes the stock sideskirts.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3668272&posted=1#post3668272
Old 10-21-2003, 03:33 PM   #9
wrcRS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1313
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 wrcRS Good Standing Member
I have gutted the seats and spare and jack, my car with 3/4 tank of gas, and me in it was 2660 lbs. I weigh in at 195lbs.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:51 PM   #10
Zarelli6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 411
What I Drive: '89 Volvo 744Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Zarelli6 Good Standing Member
priority mods are... exhaust, flex, cat, header, intake mani (not so priority), throttle body, intake system, pulley kit..then cam gears and cams... new head, then i would dyno tune.. then after all that go turbo or sc... if you plan on getting turbo or sc... you need at least 2.5 inch exhaust tubing. that is my plan minus the turbo... i think ill go jrsc much later.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->