Having trouble replacing thermostat 2004 focus se 2.3L pzev - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
rkennedy13
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 67577
What I Drive: 2004 SE, Green

FF Reputation: 1 rkennedy13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Having trouble replacing thermostat 2004 focus se 2.3L pzev

My 2004 focus se's, (2.3L pzev) heater does not blow that warm. The check engine like came on saying the engine took too long to reach operating temperature. I bought a thermostat and a chilton's repair manual for the car. The manual suggest that you remove the power steering pump to get access to the thermostat. The problem is that the high pressure line is blocking the last bolt on the power steering pump. The only way I can get a wrench on this bolt is through the hole in the power steering pumps pulley, but then I can not move the wrench enough to turn the bolt. There is not a lot of room in the front of the power steering pump to get a wrench on the high pressure line either. How do you get the power steering pump out so that you can replace the thermostat? Is there some kind of special wrench that I need?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
rkennedy13
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 67577
What I Drive: 2004 SE, Green

FF Reputation: 1 rkennedy13 Good Standing Member
I had the accessory belt off, I had 3 of the 4 bolts out of the power steering pump out and 2 of the 3 bolts out of the thermostat housing but need to get the power steering pump out so that I could get to the last bolt on the thermostat. When I could not get the last bolt out of the power steering pump I decided to put it back together and take it to a shop to have it replaced. Since I have put it back together the heater is blowing warmer and the check engine light has not come back on. Could this thermostat have gotten stuck in the open position and when I was banging around trying to get the thermostat out it got freed up? I always thought that when a thermostat fails in is the spring that fails to expand and contract due to the temperature change?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
4ST AIR
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 64583
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 4ST AIR Good Standing Member
Just had this happen to my wifes today (the 2.3 Litre ZTS, 2004). You do have to remove the power steering pump to get it out. Plus, you can't get just the thermostat from anyone except the dealer in PA(Pep Boys, Advanced, Napa, and Autozone have only the thermastat plus the housing). But the whole thing is like $55, so I just got it. Plus, since I had the sepentine belt off I just replaced that too.

As for a wrench, just used a bunch of PB Blaster on the bolts, and standard sockets and such to get her free. It wasn't easy!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
4ST AIR
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Also, wanted to mention the 2 ways you can remove that power steering pump, for future:
1. get a pulley puller. Its a device designed to remove pulleys that are pressed on, as this one is. Its like $25 at advanced auto, pep boys, etc. Just use it to remove the pulley, after spraying the connection down with PB Blaster. Then remove the pump, install the thermostat, and reinstall the pulley. There is an installer tool to, or if you have a dead blow and a steady hand you can put it back on just fine.
2. Remove the front headlight assembly. Then, use a small, stub wrench to remove the elusive bolt. You can even remove the other 3 PS bolts and move the PS pump a little to get a better line of sight on the bolt.

Both work, and both are effective....
Old 02-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Yeah you need to pull the pulley off. Its the only way.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
4ST AIR
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrinka View Post
Yeah you need to pull the pulley off. Its the only way.
You don't have to, if you don't want. The first one I did, I removed the front headlight assembly, then got a small stub wrench in there. The next time (when I put the power steering pump back on) I used a pulley puller to remove the pulley off the pump before reinstalling.

I only offered the headlight suggestion as it is possible, and not everyone has a good Ford pulley puller, nor do they know how to use it. If you don't pull that pulley off right, you'll mess it up and need a new one. The fact this one is metal makes it easier and more likely you won't break it. Very rarely have i been able to pull off a plastic pulley without breaking / damaging the pulley...
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
the_mig
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 42039
What I Drive: 2004 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 the_mig Good Standing Member
Wow. Replacing the thermostat on my 2004 Focus ZTS 2.3l sucked. What a horrible place to put the thermostat. Nathaniel's video below is a great start, but the part where he says "it looks a lot different than the last time you saw it" is huge. What a PITA to get to the thermostat and all the work just to get to that point, which Nathaniel doesn't show.

For those of you who are going to try this at home (I briefly thought about putting it back together and bringing it to a shop half way through), the fourth bolt on the power steering pump behind the high pressure line is a bear. I used the tip in this thread about removing the passenger side headlamp assembly (three small bolts on top, one underneath near the fender), which I did, and that was really, really helpful. It allowed me to get an open and even closed end 10mm wrench on that bolt, then with a lot of PB Blaster, I eventually got it loose and off. Also with the headlamp out you can use that space to get better access to the thermostat too.

Oh, speaking of the thermostat itself, the hose clamps are another huge PITA. Even with the power steering pump loose it's hard to get any leverage to loosen and reset the clamps. I also wonder if it wouldn't be simpler to just take off the intake manifold, which would also give you access. I had mine off before, and I think it actually might be an easier approach.

I started this project at around 4pm Sunday and I finished at approximately 9pm, with a +/- a one hour break, so about 4 hours similar to Nathaniel. I'm fairly mechanically inclined (I did all the bullet proofing on my powerstroke 6.0L myself), so it's not that I'm a newbie, but I'm not a pro either. Just go into this eyes wide open. The guy at O'Reilly said it should be "really simple". Wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WL3PYyBoC8
Old 11-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,167, Level 34
Points: 3,167, Level: 34 Points: 3,167, Level: 34 Points: 3,167, Level: 34
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Man I just get continually more and more amazed at how much harder to change they keep making what used to be the simplest parts to change on cars.........................and how now more and more they make you buy cheap crap plastic parts incorporated into subassemblies that are vastly overpriced.

I'm glad I'm coming closer to the end of my car parts changing days.................

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.