Official: Introducing Next Generation Ford Focus for 2012 - Page 38 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #371
iantm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4167
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3 SE MTX

FF Reputation: 3 iantm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Honestly, I don't like the way it looks based on these pictures ... but the same was true when the Mk I came to America in late 1999. It wasn't until I had the chance to see a few up close and personal that I fell in love with the design of the ZX3. I've since bought two.

Will I love the looks of this new focus? I honestly don't know, but it doesn't have the wow factor of being so different when it came out. With this one, I see elements of the Dodge Caliber and Pontiac Vibe.

Of course, I used to hate the looks of the Chris Bangle designed BMW's and now I love the way those cars look. Time will tell.
MacBook Pro 15"
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #372
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 8,814, Level 63
Points: 8,814, Level: 63 Points: 8,814, Level: 63 Points: 8,814, Level: 63
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
great video from Kelly Blue Book which shows how stunning the lines are on the new Focus hatch. Stunning car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhKTHDGr_Jw

Car&Drivers video shows some great angles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6phx2ylAsHk&NR=1 and also mentions 6spd manual tranny

MotorTrends video and editor Todd Lassa's stumbling commentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-nagDXU_N0&NR=1
he makes mention of a 1.4L EcoBoost for North America (hmmm thats the 1st I have heard of this smaller displacement for N.A. and alos the 1st time I have heard 1.4 EcoBoost period. In Europe there is talk of 1.0L EB and 1.3L EB)

Oh well some very good video to say the least on all these vids.

And lastly I came across a blog Focus vs Cruze
http://www.autorivals.net/sedans/201...s2011cruze.htm
Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #373
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Haven't been back here for quite a while, but I have to say that I am generally very disappointed in a couple key ways with the new car.

First, the front view is quite boring and anonymous, and is VERY close to what's already been on the market for years.

When the MK1 came out, it was edgy and new. Distinctive. This just kind of melts into the background. I know going for distinctive design has it's risks, but nearly every time Ford has gone with "safe" design lately it's been a dud. (Freestyle, 500, MK2 Focus)

The rear and interior are FAR better IMHO, look great!

Secondly, I am more than a bit annoyed by

Quote:
To maximize the performance and economy advantage enjoyed by the new Focus, the 2.0-liter DI Ti-VCT engine is mated with the latest dry-clutch six-speed Ford PowerShift automatic transmission. This transmission uses an advanced dual-clutch design, which alone can help to reduce fuel consumption by up to 9 percent compared to a traditional four-speed automatic.

The dry-clutch PowerShift transmission is based on more efficient manual gearbox technology, and does not require the additional weight and complexity of torque converters, planetary gears and oil pumps used in conventional automatics. Electronically controlled twin clutches shift gears quickly and smoothly, providing the seamless flow of torque plus the refinement and ease of operation customers expect from a premium automatic transmission.
More expense and complexity with less control. These gearboxes work for 2 groups of people. The amateur racer while on track, and the person who doesn't give a flip about driving 100% of the time. Now, this does describe most of the populace and give Ford a great marketing feather in it's hat. In fact, if I were designing the business model here I might have done the same. But it does squelch a surprising demographic, the day to day enthusiast. Which, BTW, is every amateur racer when they are NOT on the track / autoX course.
I have driven VWs with this gearbox and you know, after a few minutes of "Gee Whizz" playing with the gearbox you put it in automatic and don't touch it again beyond the occasional double-downshift to get around a dawdler. I ENJOY driving. I literally enjoy the experience and connection I have with the vehicle, and it's exactly why since my 2nd car I have only ever purchased cars that are a joy to drive day to day. (Porsche 944, FSVT, RX8, Mazda3 2.3 5-spd) It's increasingly difficult to find cars aren't trying to be hushed, remote, cushy limo impersonators. Look to the enormous yawn that is the current Si, or better yet, drive it back to back with an older model and be reminded what is really important in a car that's supposed to tickle your fun center.

They literally say in the press release that they are striving to make you feel like you are driving a big car. If I wanted that I would go by a big friggin car!. I don't appreciated the assumption that the only reason I'm not getting a Taurus or Explorer is because I can't afford one. I want the small car experience, but it looks like the tiny list of cars that really offer that for under $40K has gotten smaller.

Yeah.... I'm not bitter.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 01-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #374
Tbones00SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9982
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

Points 1,356, Level 20
Points: 1,356, Level: 20 Points: 1,356, Level: 20 Points: 1,356, Level: 20
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 Tbones00SE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
^^The car is being marketed to the masses who are dumping their SUVs, but don't want to feel like they have over-sacrificed just for the sake of better fuel economy, more so than trying to make someone comfortable with the fact that they couldn't afford a bigger car.

The new Focus is not the same Focus anymore than the new Taurus is not the same as it once was. The Taurus was an affordable midsize sedan, the Fusion took it's spot and the Taurus moved upmarket. It's the same with the Focus. The Feista has taken it's spot and now the Focus has moved upmarket.

And I can't wait to see the pricing because people were already complaining about Fiesta getting up towards $20K will all the goodies, so I can only imagine what to Focus is going to be going for with the MyFord Touch and everything.
Zetec Crew #73
ATX Faction #24
Mods: Volant CAI, 65mm TB, CFM Lower Mount, VF Passenger Mount, SVT Header, SVT Cat, SVT Flex, and Trubendz 2.5" exhaust, Roush Suspension, Tune and CarPC.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #375
Tantalus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 47203
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 48 Tantalus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera26 View Post
Haven't been back here for quite a while, but I have to say that I am generally very disappointed in a couple key ways with the new car.

First, the front view is quite boring and anonymous, and is VERY close to what's already been on the market for years.

When the MK1 came out, it was edgy and new. Distinctive. This just kind of melts into the background. I know going for distinctive design has it's risks, but nearly every time Ford has gone with "safe" design lately it's been a dud. (Freestyle, 500, MK2 Focus)

Apparently I've missed how your comparison fits. How in the world do you think those two vehicles look even remotely like the focus? It's far from boring, and that accord and cobalt are about as close to boring as you can get. The body lines aren't even remotely similar, the headlights are totally different, Focus front bump is WAY more aggressive....I can go on and on, there are zero similarities.
Quaife ATB Differential, Exedy Stg II Clutch/Flywheel
Coming soon...
Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #376
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Points 10,721, Level 68
Points: 10,721, Level: 68 Points: 10,721, Level: 68 Points: 10,721, Level: 68
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Agreed...

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #377
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
going to go see it this weekend at the Detroit AutoShow!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #378
Tbones00SE
Focus Addict

Points 1,356, Level 20
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd4277 View Post
Anyone notice that the "Fail" thread is a hell of a lot longer than the "Pass" thread??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
^That is why I miss the old FF.....
Quite the opposite my friends. The fail thread is longer because people are defending the car in this thread. Plus it's generally easier for people to pick out things that they don't like.

I will add another fail I've seen rear it's head. The shifter needs to sit back off of the console more. If you're sitting with the car in park, you're going to have a hell of a time accessing all of the climate control options.
Zetec Crew #73
ATX Faction #24
Mods: Volant CAI, 65mm TB, CFM Lower Mount, VF Passenger Mount, SVT Header, SVT Cat, SVT Flex, and Trubendz 2.5" exhaust, Roush Suspension, Tune and CarPC.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #379
Tbones00SE
Focus Addict

Points 1,356, Level 20
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to see it in a couple of weeks when it comes to the Washington Auto Show.
Zetec Crew #73
ATX Faction #24
Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #380
Mr. Bill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36856
What I Drive: '02 BFR SVT ZX3, '00 Contour SVT

FF Reputation: 7 Mr. Bill Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitaway View Post
Looks good...Interior is alot nicer than previous focus models. I also like the outside styling, but they should have made a 3-door hatch, too.

BTW...My cousin, Mr. Bill, said this was a 2012 model, but I didn't believe him until he told me it was on The official Ford site, (which) says that the car in the pictures is the 2012 Focus...not the 2011. So someone might want to change the front page of FF.com! :)

Sources: http://www.freep.com/article/2010011...auto-show-buzz

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/focus/2012/features/
Fixed your post for you..My additions are underlined.
'02 Focus SVT Infra Red #4709 of 4788
'00 Contour SVT Tropic Green #1833 of 2150

'90 Taurus SHO

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.