Focus Fanatics Forum banner

how do you change the headlight bulb on a 07 focus?

27K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Lscman 
#1 ·
ok, well this seems like a stupid question but i want some confirmation on the subject, and im hoping ford designers arent this retarded when it comes to basic maintinence.

the drivers side headlight blew and i was trying to change it today. i took the two bolts out off that seem to be holding the headlight housing in, but it still wouldnt budge. so i did a few searches on this trusty forum, but i want a bit of clarity on it.

i read that for the 05-07 models there is a bolt attaching the housing to the frame of the car, and to remove it you have to go through the wheel well. this is pictured and explained in the thread on how to paint the headlights.

so my question is, in order to change the bulb, is all of this really necessary? or is there a way to get into it without full removal of the housing? its colder than a witches tit outside and i dont want to be out there jacking the car up and digging in the wheel well right now.

so thanks in advance guys.[ffrocks]

#5 ·
On my '06 (same as an '07).........On the passenger side, remove the rubber boot from the back of the housing, and unsnap the connector from the bulb and pull it out of the way.

Reach your fingers in there and turn the plastic holder ring counter-clockwise, about 1/4 turn or so. Then the bulb and ring will just pull out. Reverse the procedure to reinstall....that bulb has a location tab, so it will only go back in at a certain angle.

On the driver side you may have to remove a few pieces.....I have an SRI, so I have to remove my air filter to get to the bulb. First time I did the whole job.....I almost pulled my hair out getting the attachment ring loose.

#7 ·
The cruise servo is right next to what looks like an air filter housing. It's a black/silver box with a cable coming out of it that goes to the throttle body. 2 or 3 10MM bolts and it's off. Then it's wide open to the back of the headlight. The black plastic piece between the headlights does not have to come off.

#9 ·
ooh ok. yeah all i want to do is replace the bulb. i just thought removig the housing would simplify it but i guess not. on my previous car, and on my moms hundai, the housing would just unbolt with 2 or 3 easy screws and then you could swap the bulb.

thanks guys i will look into this later today when i get back from school

#11 ·
The factory manual for 2005 to 2007 cars is very confusing when it comes to headlight bulb replacement. The bulb procedure is in a subsection showing headlight assembly removal, so it appears to require the underbelly pan cover and radiator grille to be removed. This totally unnecessary. As other's commented, the Focus is one of the few remaining Ford cars that allows headlight bulb replacement from an access hole in the engine compartment (without having to remove the headlight housing assembly). Taurus owners aren't so lucky lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.