Sync installation - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
stevestarange
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 71579
What I Drive: 2009 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 stevestarange Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sync installation

I got a 2009 focus SE and I wanna get the sync put in it at my dealership but my question is, are they going to put the buttons on the steering wheel? (like it is when you get one pre-installed when you order your car)

I saw some sync kits and they got some ugly 3 button thing that mounts on the dash with a cord hangin out of it, and I dont want that if thats what they are going to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

Points 12,255, Level 72
Points: 12,255, Level: 72 Points: 12,255, Level: 72 Points: 12,255, Level: 72
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I betcha the way that comes from the factory is more expensive
but I'd assume they can do it as long as you request it such way and pony up the $$$

You'd need the centerstack with the usb jack, the actual module behind the panel above the glove box and the steeringwheel with buttons. That's all I can think of.. dunno what else.
Oh I think you need the microphone too but I'm not sure where that goes.

If you do do it though, if you don't mind cold you post up aproximately how much to have it done? I regret not getting sync in mine and probably would be interested if it costs $300-500
Old 12-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
stevestarange
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 71579
What I Drive: 2009 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 stevestarange Good Standing Member
I priced it out and it said with installation it will be around 700$ (yeesh!) and this is going threw the ford accessories site and finding a dealer around me that will do it.

I'm gonna hope that if you pay 700 they give you the full thing (steering wheel buttons and all)
Old 12-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
leh0825
[:)][:)][:)][:)] I got this!!!!

Fan#: 63206
What I Drive: 04 F250 FX4 6.0L

FF Reputation: 8 leh0825 Good Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile i believe th mic is in the rear view mirror
Old 12-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

Points 12,255, Level 72
Points: 12,255, Level: 72 Points: 12,255, Level: 72 Points: 12,255, Level: 72
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
man.. how much was the option to get it when purchasing the car?
For some reason I remember $395 or $595
Old 12-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Jeffrey
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 40741
What I Drive: 06 ZX4 ST SAP1

FF Reputation: 1 Jeffrey Good Standing Member
Steve,

Let us know how the system works out for you.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
scottmcleod
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70117
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 scottmcleod Good Standing Member
Can any ford technicians (I know there's a few floating around here...) comment as to what exactly "makes up the Sync System" in the built-in models? (IE: all of the required components?)

I have an '05 ZX5 SES that I'd love to add some/all of the SYNC system to. (I'm good with electronics, but I'd love to know what i'm looking for at the wreckers if I find an '09/'10 that's been done-in.

What makes up the "aftermarket" install that the ford dealers are charging 700$ for?
Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
nekoashide
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50156
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 nekoashide Good Standing Member
I'm bumping this for the sole pourpose of getting more info from someone with factory sync. I have a 2010 Base Sedan and had a new steering wheel installed with Sync buttons and Cruise control. The wiring for all the buttons on the wheel is already there but under the dash where the glovebox is there are no wires at all that can be used to connect a Sync module.

Can someone with Sync poke around their vehicle and see where the wiring harness goes? I assume it connect's to the back of the radio somewhere but that's an assumption on my part.

I just want to know if it's possible to find a wreck and nab the Sync module and wiring harness and have it all plug in and work.

Edit

I think i may have answered my own questions by a trip to the dealership. You can buy the entire retrofit kit on a 2009 or just buy the individual parts. The Wiring harness, Microphone and Control buttons can be purchased individually. If you found a wreck you can get the sync module and wiring harness from it and just buy the microphone and controls but i assume that if your steering wheel had the buttons already from a cruise control upgrade you wouldnt need the additional controls from the kit.

The only problem with this and as it was told to me by the dealership is that the sync module is a dealer install kit and that they couldnt just sell me the kit as it has to be programmed to work with the car itself. I dont know if that's true or not or if you could pull one from a wreck and use it or not.

Last edited by nekoashide; 03-13-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
nekoashide
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50156
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 nekoashide Good Standing Member
I got a chance to talk with the "Sync Tech" at my dealership. He is the only one that's trained to work on and fix issues with sync.

You cannot take a sync module from a wreck and use it in another car. He says the are setup and tied to the VIN. If it's installed in another vehicle it will not operate correctly and the software will not allow him to change the VIN or wipe out the sync module. It has to be a new module.

He has installed a few kits in vehicles that do not have them from the factory to help them sell old stock. He says that the install and labor is about 2 hours to completion and requires splicing and soldiering but that it could take longer and most models that have sync from the factor can be upgraded unless they have the in dash DVD Navigation unit. He quoted me $800 if i was to do my focus and that's part's, labor and epa fee's.

He said that if you have the steering wheel with the sync button's on it (Like me) that he see's no reason why they shouldnt work after sync install.

I asked him if i could buy and install the sync module myself and have him program it he said that it would be at the dealers discretion but they would still charge by the book labor prices and their would be no discount and if they run into any issues with the customer sync install they would have to add troubleshooting labor which can go higher.

The sync module must be programmed by a dealership, there's no simple plug in and go.

So there you have it. It can be done but there's no discount's for buying the part's yourself unless you can get it cheaper then the dealership but your still paying labor.

I hope this helps people who are looking for a sync install. Sadly there's really no way around the high cost of adding it.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Tbones00SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9982
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

FF Reputation: 10 Tbones00SE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Might as well do a CarPC install. You can have all the same functionality and it's always upgradable as well as customizable. Obviously, it not quite the same as a turn key system like Sync, but if you're already willing to splice and solder wires for Sync you can get very close and with the right components and some time.
Zetec Crew #73
ATX Faction #24
Mods: Volant CAI, 65mm TB, CFM Lower Mount, VF Passenger Mount, SVT Header, SVT Cat, SVT Flex, and Trubendz 2.5" exhaust, Roush Suspension, Tune and CarPC.

Bookmarks & Social Networks