Car turns over but sounds like the timing belt is broke. Timing good ???? HELP PLZ..... - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Number four is really bad. Ive seen other compression checks and feel that they were higher than that.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6548
What I Drive: 04' Pitch Black SVTF ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocusmansvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringler26 View Post
Number four is really bad. Ive seen other compression checks and feel that they were higher than that.
I cant seem to figure out why the compression is so low, it ran great one day then two days later = just cranks and sounded like the timing belt was broken. I am about to pull the crank pulley off and check the timing with the tool to see if the timing is where it needs to be. If the timing is ok I am not sure what the heck has happened especially with just sitting. I am afraid something internally has failed due to the low #4 compared to the rest. I have had no warnings up to this point! I should have the complete timing report in the next half hour once the air compressor fills the tank so I can pull the crank pulley.

BTW; not that this most likely matters. I have had a Focus Sport Underdrive since the car had 1,300 or so miles.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
That is strange.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

Just put the crank tool in (it is at TDC) and the camshaft tool fits right in.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 AM   #15
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

I forgot I had a cylinder leakage tester. I checked cyl #1 since the engine was already at TDC (tools were both in place to assure it was exact TDC) also checked to make sure the cam had no pressure on the lifters and none. It shows 75 % loss on #1. Can hear air at the tailpipe. Why would the exhaust valves be faulty if the timing is dead on and I only was trying to start the car??? I did not check the other cylinders. Also whats the odds that the pistons could have been damaged? The weather around my place was in the 20's for a week before this happened I wouldn't think the valves would have been stuck from the weather, it just doesn't make sense why such a quick loss of compression?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:45 AM   #16
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Maybe your VCT messed up and when you think the valves are closed they are really open? Your compression seems real low on all of them. The last time I did mine was about 210psi all the way across the board. Hopfully its just a faulty VCT thingy. good luck and keep us updated.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 12-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #17
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Maybe your VCT messed up and when you think the valves are closed they are really open? Your compression seems real low on all of them. The last time I did mine was about 210psi all the way across the board. Hopfully its just a faulty VCT thingy. good luck and keep us updated.
How do I test to see if the VCT is bad. I have no codes. I am not exactly sure how the VCT works, but at TDC w/ #1 I have air through my exhaust the VCT is on the intake side. Also all of the lifters (or whatever you call the component below the cam) move freely at TDC which would appear the valves should be closed. Maybe I am missing something ?????
Old 12-17-2009, 01:30 AM   #18
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

do you have oil pressure? I am just guessing on what it could be. Going for the cheaper thing. If you oil pump went out that could explain why you ended up with low compression? Again these are just guesses. With no codes showing seems like it would have thrown a low oil pressure one. hhmmm interesting problem. What is it with these SVT's lately just breaking down with no apparent problem. Makes me think that Raymond's SVT is having low compression also. We won't know for sure though unless we test it. Good luck with your problem.

oohh I just thought of something. You say you are getting fuel but are you getting enough fuel? or fuel pressure to be exact?

Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 12-17-2009, 01:30 AM   #19
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

I know you can hear the pump does it sound healthy?

Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 12-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #20
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
do you have oil pressure? I am just guessing on what it could be. Going for the cheaper thing. If you oil pump went out that could explain why you ended up with low compression? Again these are just guesses. With no codes showing seems like it would have thrown a low oil pressure one. hhmmm interesting problem. What is it with these SVT's lately just breaking down with no apparent problem. Makes me think that Raymond's SVT is having low compression also. We won't know for sure though unless we test it. Good luck with your problem.

oohh I just thought of something. You say you are getting fuel but are you getting enough fuel? or fuel pressure to be exact?
I was going to test the fuel pressure but have the wrong fitting so i was not able to test tonight. But can tomorrow night. Although I would dought fuel pressure would cause low compression. As far as oil goes I have not mechanically checked but was good up to it not starting. Secondly I can see oil coming up on each of the cams lobes except for lightly on #4 intake. Which #4 is also the worse reading of them all which is @ 60 PSI.

Heres some information I have found on VVT for the SVTF;

VARIABLE CAM TIMING SYSTEM

Overview
Variable Cam Timing (VCT) enables rotation of the camshaft(s) relative to the crankshaft (phase-shafting) as a function of engine operating conditions. There are four types of VCT systems.

Exhaust Phase Shifting (EPS) system - the exhaust cam is the active cam being retarded.
Intake Phase Shifting (IPS) system - the intake cam is the active cam being advanced.
Dual Equal Phase Shifting (DEPS) system - both intake and exhaust cams are phase shifted and equally advanced or retarded.
Dual Independent Phase Shifting (DIPS) system - where both the intake and exhaust cams are shifted independently.
All systems have four operational modes; idle, part throttle, wide open throttle and default mode. At idle and low engine speeds with closed throttle, the phase angle are controlled by air flow, engine oil temperature and engine coolant temperature. At part and wide open throttle the PCM controls cam timing based on engine RPM, load and throttle position. VCT systems provide reduced emissions and enhanced engine power, fuel economy and idle quality. IPS systems also have the added benefit of improve torque. In addition, on some applications a VCT system can eliminated the need for an external Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system. The elimination of the EGR system is accomplished by controlling the overlap in valve opening between the intake valve opening and exhaust valve closing.

Currently for the 2004 model year, Ford Motor Company uses the PS and DEPS systems. The IPS system is on Lincoln LS, Thunderbird and Focus SVT and the DEPS system is on the F150 5.4L 3V.

The VCT (variable cam timing) system consists of an electric hydraulic positioning control solenoid, a CMP (camshaft position sensor) and trigger wheel. The CMP trigger wheel has a number of equally spaced teeth equal to the number (n) of cylinders on a bank plus one extra tooth (n+1). Four cylinder and V8 engines use a CMP 4+1 tooth trigger wheel. V6 engines use a CMP 3+1 tooth trigger wheel. The extra tooth placed between the equally spaced teeth represents the CMP signal for that bank. A CKP (crankshaft position sensor) provides the PCM with crankshaft positioning information in 10 degree increments (Figure 115).

The PCM receives input signals from the IAT (intake air temperature), ECT (engine coolant temperature), EOT (engine oil temperature), CMP, TP (throttle position), MAF (mass air flow) and CKP to determine the operating conditions of the engine. At idle (low engine speeds and closed throttle) the PCM controls camshaft position based on air and coolant temperatures. During part and wide open throttle, camshaft position is determined by engine RPM, load and throttle position. The VCT system will not operate until the engine is at normal operating temperature.
The VCT system is enabled by the PCM when the proper conditions are met.
The CKP signal is used as a reference for CMP positioning.
The VCT solenoid valve is an integral part of the VCT system. The solenoid valve controls the flow of engine oil in the VCT actuator assembly. As the PCM controls the duty cycle of the solenoid valve, oil pressure/flow advances or retards the cam timing. Duty cycles near 0% or 100% represent rapid movement of the camshaft. Retaining a fixed camshaft position is accomplished by dithering (oscillating) the solenoid valve duty cycle. The PCM calculates and determines the desired camshaft position. It will continually update the VCT solenoid duty cycle until desired positioning is achieved. A difference between the desired and actual camshaft position represents a position error in the PCM's VCT control loop. The PCM will disable the VCT and place the camshaft in a default position if a fault is detected. A related DTC will also be set when this fault is detected.
When the VCT solenoid is energized, engine oil is allowed to flow to the VCT actuator assembly which advances or retards the cam timing. One half of the VCT actuator is coupled to the camshaft and the other half is connected to the timing chain. Oil chambers between the two halves couple the camshaft to the timing chain. When the flow of oil is shifted from one side of the chamber to the other, the differential change in oil pressure forces the camshaft to rotate in either a advance or retard position depending on the oil flow.

Reading over that it would appear the VVT does not kick in until the engine is warm. And also I tried disconnecting the VVT and no change in compression readings.

Bookmarks & Social Networks