Car turns over but sounds like the timing belt is broke. Timing good ???? HELP PLZ..... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6548
What I Drive: 04' Pitch Black SVTF ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocusmansvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Question Car turns over but sounds like the timing belt is broke. Timing good ???? HELP PLZ.....

I have a 2004 SVT Focus. It has ran great up until today. I went to start my car and only cranks over. It sounds like the timing belt is broken as the noise sounds to have no compression. I pulled the timing belt cover partially back and the belt is tight. Pulled the valve cover and tried to put in the flat bar in the back of the camshafts and it fits in correctly, which shows the cams are timed correctly. I did not strip the side cover down to check the crank, but it appears to me the timing is correct. I have no codes in the system. The car has shown no issues to this point upon parking the car for the weekend, the oil is at the correct level and fairly clean. The engine has 69k miles. I do not see any visual issues with anything. Any ideas on where to start?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,515, Level 94
Points: 23,515, Level: 94 Points: 23,515, Level: 94 Points: 23,515, Level: 94
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Well an IDEA would be do a compression check if it seems like it has none. If so, then maybe your valves are just the tiniest bit off somehow but open on the compression stroke enougt to disallow combustion.

BUT FIRST... You're not holding the gas pedal to the floor when you try to start it do you? That cuts off fuel flow. I've done it a few times and it's a pointless PITA LOL.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 12-16-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
djblackout
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 61433
What I Drive: 02 sonic blue SVTF

Points 11,427, Level 70
Points: 11,427, Level: 70 Points: 11,427, Level: 70 Points: 11,427, Level: 70
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 djblackout Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
does it just sound like it cranks and cranks and cranks? When my coil pack pigtail went bad, that's what my car did.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
Well an IDEA would be do a compression check if it seems like it has none. If so, then maybe your valves are just the tiniest bit off somehow but open on the compression stroke enougt to disallow combustion.

BUT FIRST... You're not holding the gas pedal to the floor when you try to start it do you? That cuts off fuel flow. I've done it a few times and it's a pointless PITA LOL.
I am not touching the gas pedal at all. I will check compression tomorrow night to see what the readings are at. The engine just sounds like a sewing machine at this point, but is not turning over extremely fast. It has me stumpt, from my experience the noise sounds just like a car having a broken timing belt. I do not have much tools with me at this point to test much out, I am looking for some ideas to get an idea of what I should be looking for and what tools I will need to get to find the issue.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblackout View Post
does it just sound like it cranks and cranks and cranks? When my coil pack pigtail went bad, that's what my car did.
Have spark. When I was checking spark, the engine had a split second where it sounded like it was going to fire. Will check for fuel tomorrow, I replaced the fuel filter at 49k. At this point as far as fuel goes all I know is that I can hear the fuel pump working. I have not inspected the complete timing belt at this point as I am not sure which way to go with diagnosis.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:43 AM   #6
hockey2826
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 36684
What I Drive: 2004 blue svt

FF Reputation: 1 hockey2826 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
check the whole belt when you get a chance, sure sounds like its missin a few teeth somewhere.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

Points 5,291, Level 46
Points: 5,291, Level: 46 Points: 5,291, Level: 46 Points: 5,291, Level: 46
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
When you put the timing bar in the cam ends, did you see if you could insert the timing pin in the crank as well?
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 12-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Feral
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 1 2002 / 2 2001 Wagons

FF Reputation: 53 Feral Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
you mean it sounds like this

have someone crank the engine as you peer under the belt cover.. mine showed tight and still wrapped right except for the 20 or so teeth missing

My Wagon Rebuild - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217009
Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
03FocusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61785
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid Grey ZX3

Points 2,453, Level 30
Points: 2,453, Level: 30 Points: 2,453, Level: 30 Points: 2,453, Level: 30
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 03FocusZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wth , feral ur gauges go up and down before you start it? mine dont O.o
Old 12-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2826 View Post
check the whole belt when you get a chance, sure sounds like its missin a few teeth somewhere.
Checked the whole belt and no missing teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourileo View Post
When you put the timing bar in the cam ends, did you see if you could insert the timing pin in the crank as well?
Did not insert the timing pin yet as I have not tore down much to make it to that point. Is it fairly easy to install the tool or what am I looking at? I may have to check out the manual to get an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
you mean it sounds like this
have someone crank the engine as you peer under the belt cover.. mine showed tight and still wrapped right except for the 20 or so teeth missing

No missing teeth. Mine sounds similar but has a slightly higher noise and spins a little slower.

At this point I know I have spark, belt is good. Cams are aligned. Have spark and fuel. Compression on #1 @ 80 PSI / #2 @ 75 PSI / #3 @ 80 PSI and #4 @ 60 PSI. #4 has me a little worried, also notice that the oil on the #4 intake valves is very little compared to the others.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.