URGENT!!! Oh [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]**........Broke an engine cover bolt - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-10-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
ferraristyle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7821
What I Drive: '01 Focus SE, 05 Nissan Pathfinder

FF Reputation: 1 ferraristyle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
URGENT!!! Oh [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]**........Broke an engine cover bolt

Now I'm totally freaking out. I was tighting the engine cover bolts after painting the engine cover and I overtightened the last bolt, closest to the driver's side and then SNAP the engine bolt broke off. It happend towards the very bottom of the bolt.

Am I totally screwed or what? I don't know what to do. I'm going to try to take off the engine cover and look for the piece of the bolt, but I heard it fall. I doubt I'll be able to find that little piece.

Please help with suggestions.

2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
HIN Showcar

"...it's not how you stand by your car; it's how you race your car..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 07:54 PM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
That sucks!.... that sucks bad. You can easily get another bolt from the parts department at the dealership, wow... good luck..... whatever you do, DON'T START THE CAR! You should be able to find it, wish you the best of luck...... fingers crossed for you......

Make sure you don't over torque the bolt when you do get a new one, torque it to (80in-lbs for the SPI, also posted on this website so it's definitely that number) which is factory specs.....
Old 08-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
waterboy

Fan#: 2258
What I Drive: 2k SPI-T, with Lentech automatic stuff on it

FF Reputation: 1 waterboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You're having a TOTALLY f-ed up day, aren't you? Hope like heck you can remove the valve cover and see it lying there or can get it with a magnetic pick-up. What did you hear fall? I'm asking because it says you hard something fall inside. Removing the head is about a 5 hour job, so I truely hope you can find the missing part.

For one final kick in the nuts: You know that the valve cover is only supposed to be tightened to 80 INCH pounds, right?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:00 PM   #4
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Yeah I just posted that about only torquing to 80 in-lbs also. Wow, I hope he can find the other part. Hope he posts back on here.... otherwise we will know what happenned.....
Old 08-10-2004, 08:03 PM   #5
waterboy

As much as I mess with people now and again, it makes me wish I could be there to help instead of just wishing him well. This could get ugly....
Old 08-10-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
ferraristyle
Focus Enthusiast

I am so pissed. The good part is the engine cover looks great.

So what if I can't find it with a magnetic pick-up. I'll try but when I did it (broke the bolt) I heard a metal piece fall into the engine under the engine coverl. It could be big or it could be small. Versus the size of the other bolt it's a real small piece.

What's the worst that could happen though. I'm sure that this has had to happen before. Could I pray to the car gods that nothing will happen, drive the car until something happens, or is this just a loosing proposition. Is there a chance that nothing will happen or am I definately just screwed.

I am going to need some serious anti anxiety pills tonight. Please post any responce that will help me sleep.

HIN Showcar

Old 08-10-2004, 08:10 PM   #7
waterboy

I'm just trying to figure out what could have dropped into the engine. There's the bolt with washer (on top) and two rubber washers (one up one down). You sure it wasn't the ratchet transmitting the sound up to you when the bolt snapped?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:13 PM   #8
ferraristyle
Focus Enthusiast

No, a piece physically broke off the very bottom of the bolt, part of the thread. If the bolt is 3" long it may be the bottom 3/8th tops. I sent you a PM. I am serious just freaking the f out.

HIN Showcar

Old 08-10-2004, 08:19 PM   #9
waterboy

Can you show me what you have accounted for so far?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve cover bolt.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	3571  

Old 08-10-2004, 08:25 PM   #10
ferraristyle
Focus Enthusiast

I haven't taken the engine cover off, it's too dark here so I have to wait to the AM. I have the entire bolt except for a small piece of the bottom towards the bottom of the threads.

I don't have that black plastic piece, hopefully I can find this. I assume this is on the inside of the engine cover.

I'm at home depot right now buying a mag pickup to go searching with tomorrow AM.

Let me know the real deal.

HIN Showcar

Bookmarks & Social Networks