ZX3 vs. 1.8T GTI what would u do? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-10-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
type993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3324
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 type993 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ZX3 vs. 1.8T GTI what would u do?

I hate driving cars without a warranty, and I have about 10K left on my ZX3 warranty. I have been looking at some other options, and have narrowed down my options to either staying with the focus and modding it out--or going out and getting a new GTI 1.8T with all the options for about 21K.

I bought my zx3 cash ( I hate car payments) and I would have to finance the GTI. I drove a friends GTI and loved it ever since then. Based on some research, the 1.8T is a more tunable ( mid/low 13s on 1500 bucks!), more reliable, and all around better motor than the zetec.

I love my zx3, but it seems the only good thing about it is the chassis and handling. I prefer german fit and finish..higher quality parts. I will always respect the focus as a very good car, but I think I need more than it can give me.

Just looking for some opinions on what you guys think.

Thx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 06:28 PM   #2
focusedintentions
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7850
What I Drive: 07 Infiniti G35 6mt coupe silver

FF Reputation: 1 focusedintentions Good Standing Member
Looks like to me like you've already made your decision. GTI's are very nice, different class of car in my opinion. The only reason i didn't get a new GTI is b/c i don't like the newer GTI's b/c i have a mkII. I like the old school GTI's better. But go with what you like.
My SVT is #604 of 1079
One of 104 with EAP
Old 08-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
gmoffat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2667
What I Drive: 2003 French Blue Metallic ZX3 5-Spd

FF Reputation: 1 gmoffat Good Standing Member
Re: ZX3 vs. 1.8T GTI what would u do?

Quote:
Originally posted by type993
I love my zx3, but it seems the only good thing about it is the chassis and handling. I prefer german fit and finish..higher quality parts. I will always respect the focus as a very good car, but I think I need more than it can give me.
That's about where I'm at with my Focus, too. I'd probably go GTI. My wife just got an '04 Jetta with the 1.8T and it rocks. The GTI being smaller should be even better to drive. The VW's are very well put together, and I agree with focusedintentions, it is in a different class. I'd say go for the GTI if you have no problems affording it.

Futurama returns!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
smasheromalley
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10873
What I Drive: 04 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 smasheromalley Good Standing Member
Id get a civic si before I got the VW. The 1.8T is plagued with problems and VW is dropping like a rock in terms of quality/customer satisfaction.

Take it how you want it but my friend is a a rep at VWOA in Auburn Hills. He said whatever you do, dont get the 1.8t.

YMMV
Old 08-10-2004, 07:16 PM   #5
Infra3sv
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
You hate driving a car without a warranty so you're considering financing a GTI and modifying it? That makes no sense. I think you should keep the Focus and get parts for it.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:54 PM   #6
2000FordFocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9275
What I Drive: Vintage 2000 Focus SE Sport Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 2000FordFocus Good Standing Member
those GTI had been around so long without a major change, a you sure you want to buy it now? they might change to new model once you buy it!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
I would wait until next summer since that's when the new Golf's are supposed to come out. They look and will perform a lot better than the current model.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:11 PM   #8
ouikikazz
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i like VW's until u need to fix them, have you seen the VW engine bay? very cramped (at least the older ones), haven't really seen the newer ones, but like Audi the VW bay is suppose to be really cramped and hard to work in. But its not like i hate the VW's, love their MPG and performance :)
Old 08-10-2004, 08:43 PM   #9
jerryzx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9236
What I Drive: 2001 sangria red zx3 zetec

FF Reputation: 1 jerryzx3 Good Standing Member
I like the VW. If I had the money I would get one of them. Especially the R32
Old 08-10-2004, 09:01 PM   #10
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
I have owned my share of VW's. In the past four years, I've had a '83 GTI, 96 Getta, and an '02 Golf GLS. VW is perhaps my favorite car manufacturer. Still, you could not pay me to buy a MKIV. Overall, they are good cars, but you WILL have more problems with your GTI than your Focus. Sorry, the truth hurts. I have 3 good friends will GTIs.

The 1.8t (with proper gearing) will really impress you with torque..much more than any stock Focus. The rear suspension on the GTI is prehistoric. Not that it sucks, it is just outdated. It is the same design found on the original rabbit. Think about it. The Focus will always have more handling potential. Also, the VW's chassis is notoriously 'loose'. By this I mean, you will hear (and feel) every creak and rattle. The GTI's structure is the best out of any VW, but again, the Focus will be more noise-free over time (I HATE creaks, so consider this).

Before you go buy the car, find a used GTI with about 20,000-30,000 miles on it and see if you like what you have. You might change your mind, you might not. My $0.02, wait till the MKV comes out. You will have a better suspension and nicer engine choices.

Oh and BTW, $1500 will likely get you a mid 14 sec car, no 13's. Granted, it is easier to get into the 13s than a Focus, but you will pay. AND, you need to drive pretty well. I've seen plenty of guys run mid 15s with APR/Revo chip, TT exhaust/downpipe, and intake....that is roughly$1200-$1300.

Either way, good luck with your decision. I love both cars, I just wouldn't buy a MKIV as a daily driver

Bookmarks & Social Networks