Weak brakes during the first 5 minutes of driving - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-07-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
tradershipp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 14003
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX3 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 tradershipp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Weak brakes during the first 5 minutes of driving

Has anyone noticed that their brakes do not work very well right after you first start your Focus? Mine will not stop the car very well for the first 5 - 10 minutes. It seems like they are working OK until I put them on hard and it does not stop any faster. I thought Ford fixed the brake problems after the 2002 model year. I have had several Focus models for rental cars in the 2003 - 2005 model years. The 2005 did not have this problem, but all the 2003 and 2004's had the same problem. It is like the brakes don't want to stop the car very fast until after several firm stops, then they are OK for the rest of that drive. This happens after the car sits for at least 3 hours. One other thing, my rotors look all chewed up, not smooth like most rotors I've seen. This car has less than 2000 miles on it. It has been to the dealer 4 times. They said that the brakes are as "good as they get". The quality of this car other than the brakes has been perfect, and I am very picky.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
Lil Skeet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8013
What I Drive: 2001 Light Sapphire Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Lil Skeet Good Standing Member
Mine does the same thing. I think its just that the nothing has warmed up yet, and for the best braking you need the heat.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1704
What I Drive: 2003.5 ZTW PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 DidHeFocus? Good Standing Member
The problems Ford fixed are most likely uneven and premature pad wear, not stopping power. I haven't noticed the cold brake symptom you described.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:10 PM   #4
W~Phoenix~{RC}
FF Bouncer

Fan#: 11450
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Frost Sport Edition ATX

FF Reputation: 1 W~Phoenix~{RC} Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Sometimes this happens to me when it's a little cold outside... but it isn't so much of weaker breaks... just loud resonance... like someone is taking their fingernails down a chalkboard, but a little toned down than that...
Old 10-08-2004, 09:03 AM   #5
tradershipp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 14003
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX3 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 tradershipp Good Standing Member
Thanks for the help, I have never had a car where the brakes feel so much better after driving a while. I really like this car and would like to fix the problem. It was first brought to my attention by my 16 year old daughter. Does anyone know if the after market discs and pads do this too?

Bookmarks & Social Networks