LOUD on the hiway! WTF? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-09-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
smasheromalley
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10873
What I Drive: 04 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 smasheromalley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
LOUD on the hiway! WTF?

I had my new focuz on the eway last night and dam I couldnt believe how LOUD it was. I had a 2002 before and it was no where NEAR as loud as this new one. Like every crack in the road echoed inthe cabin and the changing road surfaces made it hard to hear anything.

I had people with me so I couldnt just turn up the radio.

The only difference is the new one has 16" wheels and auto trans where my 2002 had 15" wheels and manual trans.

Is it because of the tires that came on it? Like too low profile or too hard tire or something? If it is Im changing those muggs off quick for something squishier...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2004, 11:23 AM   #2
Vassili95
Banned

Fan#: 371
FF Reputation: 1 Vassili95 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The tires would be the "feeling every bumps". Although 15 to 16 inch wheels isn't a big difference, you can feel the road 'casuse of less rubber.

Probably Ford needed to cut cost and decided to go cheaper with the noise reduction.

BTW....Do you have a PZEV??

Paix...
Old 08-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Probably the tires..... I have drove a 04 and noticed that it was 'louder' inside than my 01. Could be alot of things, maybe like Vassili said, Ford cutting costs? Who knows??
Old 08-09-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
smasheromalley
Focus Enthusiast

Nope not a pzev. I got a zetec cause it is simpler and been around longer, but whatever. It wasnt really engine noise at all. When I got on some new blacktop it got quiet like I would expect. But anything else and it sucked. Like even "rough surface" concrete.

Im pretty disappointed. My last one was a real nice ride on the hiway. Glad I got sirius radio, at least Ill have some decent music to turn up and drown out the noise >:(

Hmm I should check my tire pressure I guess. Usually I run a little higher than recommended but maybe thats a bad idea in this case...
Old 08-09-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
2fast4u
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2375
What I Drive: ZX-3 gone, now 05 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 2fast4u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
ford never stops suprising with their cheapness
Old 08-09-2004, 05:14 PM   #6
sitlet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 970
What I Drive: 2001 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 sitlet Good Standing Member
you have the firestone firehawks dont you? they suck, period. do yourself a favor and get some new tires, it will solve all your problems
Old 08-09-2004, 06:50 PM   #7
BornAgainFordOwner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9408
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX3 PZEV 5Sp.

FF Reputation: 7 BornAgainFordOwner Good Standing Member
My 04 is pretty quiet and smooth. I also have 16" wheels, with Pirelli P6's. I have a PZEV with the Premium package so I may have more sound proofing. I run the recommended air pressure.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:15 PM   #8
penske
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 11548
What I Drive: 2001 infra red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 penske Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by vassili95

Probably Ford needed to cut cost and decided to go cheaper with the noise reduction.

Paix...
bingo!! I have a 01 and my brother, (jealous of all the fun I was having ) bought a 04 zx3, his car is a base model and has none of the insulation my car has and is noticeably louder.
I have also ridden in one with the 16" Firestone's and they do transfer quite a bit more road noise than my Goodyear eagles did.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:09 PM   #9
smasheromalley
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by penske
bingo!! I have a 01 and my brother, (jealous of all the fun I was having ) bought a 04 zx3, his car is a base model and has none of the insulation my car has and is noticeably louder.
I have also ridden in one with the 16" Firestone's and they do transfer quite a bit more road noise than my Goodyear eagles did.

Dam that must be it then, they left out all the sound deadener.

I have the pirelli tires, not firestones. Whatever difference that makes.

Anything I can do about this? Add my own sound stuff?
Old 08-10-2004, 12:15 AM   #10
sieben
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8152
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sieben Good Standing Member
my 04 isn't bad, well not anyworse than my 1999 f150 supercab, but that's like comparing apples to tomatoes. I'm very happy with my car, but I also have a ZTS, so I wonder if that makes any difference?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.