Sears Black Friday Tire Sale: BF Goodrich or Goodyear? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
aph72
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61311
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 aph72 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sears Black Friday Tire Sale: BF Goodrich or Goodyear?

I've been looking at the Sears Black Friday ad scan here http://bfads.net/Ad/Sears-2009/Page38. On pages 38 & 39, they have a $70 gift card when you buy 4 BF Goodrich, Goodyear, or Michelin tires. I have gotten my choices down to the BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S tires or the Goodyear Eagle GT's. The sizes in the ad are wrong for the Focus, but dividing the sale price into the retail price, it looks like the g-Force's are @17% off and the GT's are @14% off. Applying that % off to the correct size, it looks like a 205/50R16 g-Force would be @$95.45 and the 205/55R16 GT's would be @$105.78.
After multiplying by 4 and adding 7.5% tax, minus the $70 gift card (and another $20 rebate for the Goodyears), it looks the BF Goodrich's would be @$340 and the Goodyears @$365.
What are your opinions on these two? According to this article http://www.speedsportlife.com/2008/0...ong-the-cheap/ the BF Goodrich's are made in Malaysia and the Goodyears are made in the USA.
To my eye, the BF Goodrich's look like they have more siping and would work better in snow. I live in Central Minnesota, so that is a concern. It doesn't snow all that much here, maybe a couple of feet all year. The Goodyear's have a cooler looking tread pattern (if that matters) and seem to be a better wet/dry performance tire. Despite their apparent lack of siping, they get a better snow traction rating from the Tire Rack too.
I'm interested in any input as I need to make up my mind by Friday Morning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Both are good tires. I would suggest looking at Tireracks testing to help make an informed decision. I do know that the Goodyears are rated very highly for wet traction (that doesn't necessarily mean snow traction).
Old 11-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

Points 5,374, Level 47
Points: 5,374, Level: 47 Points: 5,374, Level: 47 Points: 5,374, Level: 47
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I have a set of the Goodyear Eagle GT’s; I would say they are ok. They have good wet weather performance for dally driving, but I don’t feel they ride very well.

Ti me the Grip is adequate for dally driving to some what spirited. I have run them on the race track just because my regular track tires where warn and the track was wet to drying. The Good years sucked when pushed on track, the back end would come loss with no warning or the front would all of a sudden understeer badly. I was actually very surprised ho poorly they did, I wasn’t expecting them to be super fast but I consider myself to be a good wet weather driver and I was actually a bit nervous on them. Obviously this is not what they are designed for but it still is a good test.

One thing I do like is the Rim protector they have, the tire actually is about ” wider then the rim. Good if you have a tendency to curb wheels. Disadvantage to that is if you have an after market rim with a driftnet offset you can get a little rubbing. On my 07 st with ford racing springs they will rub a bit in the rear.

Over all I would not buy them again.

I recently compared them to a 2 year old set of continental Extreme contacts and the Cont’s are still my favorite.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.

Bookmarks & Social Networks