Possessed Focus: Wipers moving when parked - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
joefish
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 47746
What I Drive: 2006 Tonic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 1 joefish Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry Possessed Focus: Wipers moving when parked

I got an '06 Focus LX at the end of January, and in February had an electrical glitch.

I came back to the car one rainy evening to find the indicators and wipers going, even with the ignition off and the doors locked. When I got in and started the ignition it calmed down, but I got a beep from the dashboard whenever I turned on something electrical (lights, indicators, etc.). When I parked up it started again, so I had to lock it, then disconnect the battery to leave it.

The dealer said there was a corroded relay in a pack in the boot, which they replaced and re-sealed. It did it again a few days later (though just for a few seconds), and the partner dealership said it was caused by a loose connection in the fusebox, confusing the timer controller (that regulates indicators, wipers and hazard lights).

It was fine after that, but just this last week I had a beep again turning the ignition off, and a few times I've come back to it in a carpark to find the wipers have moved up on the windscreen. It'd be nice to think it's just flicking off junk mail and parking tickets, but I think it's something else. I've checked all the connectors to the fusebox myself, and they're all sound.

Does anyone have any better ideas what may be happening?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
focusonthefocus
Gan-San!

Fan#: 1411
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 focusonthefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I think you need to call the Ghostbusters.

Focus on the Mountain
Old 06-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
joefish
Focus Rookie

Great. Any other suggestions... besides painting it white with a '53' on the bonnet..?

It's all very well that Renault advert showing a Scenic wagging its rear wiper when the driver gets near, but when your car actually does that it's a bit off-putting.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
inschool
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16482
What I Drive: 2004 EAP SEX

FF Reputation: 1 inschool Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
look into your Central Timer Module, this module controls all of your timed wiper functions.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
i think the white #53 would look really good!

speaking of which there is a new beattle around here in that paint scheme
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 06-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
joefish
Focus Rookie

inschool - thanks. I figured it was something to do with that, but at least I know what it's called now.

I can't think why it would be operational after I've locked up, but then I remembered that the odometer light stays on for something like half an hour after turning the ignition off. I wonder if it's the event of shutting that off that's causing a short and it having a quick spasm?
The windscreen wipers had moved in the hour or so it took me to put my shopping away last night, so it must be something in the first hour or so of the ignition going off or locking the car. Once it's done it, it doesn't seem to happen again.

Anyone any idea what the exact delay on the odometer light is, so that I can watch it?

Trouble is, unless I can make it do it I'm a bit stuck for getting the dealer to look at it, or know when it's fixed.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
joefish
Focus Rookie

Well, it seems I got my wish. I went down to the car park to watch it 25 minutes after I locked up and the wipers and indicator were going. I waited around and they wouldn't stop. With all that going, I couldn't lock the car by remote either, but I could unlock it. I locked it all with the key, then opened the bonnet and disconnected the battery.

The next morning, as soon as I connected the battery it started again (though it had swapped from the right to the left indicator!). With the ignition on it behaved itself, but once I parked it at work I had to disconnect the battery again. I booked it in with the dealer, but when I got home it had stopped (@rse!), but sure enough it started half an hour later.

The dealer couldn't work it out and had to contact Ford, and they said to replace the junction box on the Generic Equipment Module (GEM). That had to be ordered in, so I've spent a few days going to work by choo-choo.

Anyway, that seems to have driven the demons out for the moment, so we'll see if it lasts.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
Yellow monkey
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108004
What I Drive: 2005 tdci sport

FF Reputation: 1 Yellow monkey Good Standing Member
Hi Joefish, think my focus is possessed too! Having the exact same issue wipers and hazards going off when ignition is turned off... How much did the junction box set you back? If you dont mind me asking? Not the start to the new year I had planned!!?!?!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->