Let the rebuild start - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #71
Feral
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 1 2002 / 2 2001 Wagons

FF Reputation: 53 Feral Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
theres just a bunch of bolts that go around the dash here and there.. all the added stuff has to be removed.. same with the airbag.. if you do ever remove the dash disconnect the battery and always keep one foot on the ground when working with and around the airbags themselves

that laptop used to be a Carputer but its now my OBDII interface computer as for the Garage its nothing big but beats working in the snow LOL the only downside is I have to share it with others (hence I have to keep cleaning it up)

My Wagon Rebuild - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217009
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #72
Feral
Focus Addict

Well seeing I lost my chance at a nice Volant intake with ram air I opted to spend a few bucks on a new headunit.. well I searched and searched and nothing caught my fancy ( nooo thank you on flip out screen DVD players..) to cheap looking and tacky so I opted a different route.. I found a nice headunit made by Eclipse ( yeah some of you may groan but hey its got a solid front and a solid design I like it......)

as for the headunits I have laying around sorry but those really cheap ass'd adapters with the cubby is 1 to cheap and 2 look lousy.. I tried it with a Clarion Pro Audio unit I had from my old car and yeah Flimsy put it into perspective as every time i touched a button the radio wobbled and you can see the cheap plastic flex

well there was 1 down side I knew about the radio is marketed as a double din but something struck me as odd.. the fact the headunit had a MASSIVE bezel to begin with ( its actually a double din 2005 and up face ( it was pulled out of a 05+ focus) so I said hell with it and bought it

I received it today and :D I'm happy... the seller overdid the packaging and sent it QUICK

heres the headunit freshly peeled from the 20 or so layers of micro bubble wrap

I sat there looking at the Headunit and noticed the bezel was held in by a bunch of screws so before tearing it off and possibly breaking something in the process i just loosened the screws and inspected the way the bezel was... uhh ok its just a plastic bezel so I remove the screws and it and grabbed an old Radio bezel I have laying around in terrible condition (I won;t sell it like that its not right)
anyways I set the radio on its back and lay the bezel on the radio where the original bezel is supposed to go and wow to my amazement it nearly fits the face fits PERFECTLY but the inner lip on the dash bezel prevents the radio from being pulled through

yeah so now im going to use that damaged bezel to mock the cuts that are needed for clearance and functionality without loosing or having to relocate my HVAC/Hazard switch once thats done im going to design a locking system where once the radios installed the only way to remove it is the old arm up the underside of the dash once it looks decent and fits nice im going to transfer the cuts to my good bezel and mod it to fit so all I have to do is connect and slide it in

:D
heres the specs

Eclipse AVN 30D
-DVD/CD navigation receiver with built-in amplifier
-fits double-sized (4" tall) dash openings
-motorized 6.5" LCD video screen with adjustable display angle and touchscreen controls
-day and night display modes
-three selectable background images
-plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DVDs, DVD-R/RWs, and MP3 discs
-GPS navigation (includes GPS antenna and map DVD-ROM)
millions of points of interest (hotels, restaurants, gas stations, etc.)
-easy access to emergency information
-customizable route preferences
-separate CD and DVD slots
-five soundfields: cathedral, club, concert, live, theater
-9-band parametric EQ
-5 preset EQ curves
-SIRIUS Satellite Radio-ready (you can add SIRIUS for under $100, plus subscription)
-HD Radio-ready (Eclipse HD Radio tuner required)
-Ipod capable (add an Eclipse IPC-106)
-CD changer control
-audio/video input
-rear-view camera input
-audio/video output
-AM/FM tuner
-CD signal-to-noise ratio: 90 dB
-FM sensitivity: 12 dBf

Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #73
Dan-O
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50029
What I Drive: 2002 FrankenTurbo powered Beetle

FF Reputation: 13 Dan-O Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
im going to design a locking system where once the radios installed the only way to remove it is the old arm up the underside of the dash
Ah, the old arm up the underside trick.
Sneaky sneaky.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #74
Feral
Focus Addict

its either that or the old crowbar and chisel to the dash trick

I actually thought of another way im going to try.. Im gunna go get a busted stock radio and transfer the dimensions from the original face to the stock face and cut it carefully and see I can't just use an old stock radio bezel as a gap filler seeing its perfectly sized to begin with...

the local scrap yard has a ton off focus's and 90% of the radios have there faces forcefully removed cuz some idiot doesn't know how to remove them properly XD

Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 AM   #75
Feral
Focus Addict

heheh did a parts run to the Storage and Grabbed all the plastics ( interior plastic trim pieces) so it should start going again

right now I don't know if I'm going to start the cleaning of the trim or attempt to get the headliner from the storage.. I cannot actually do the trim plastics without it but I don;t want to drive with one headliner in place and one headliner hanging inside the car heheheeheh (can we say Redneck leak repair.. just throw another headliner in there and get-er dun ( dun ask some bewb on TV's been sayin that and just popped into mind XD )

oh yeah WOOHOOOO I found the missing floor mat and DANGIT my hand feels like a Pincusion AGAIN x.x either way I got the missing Mat and Door panel :D Im happy and there not damaged

either way
Im now floating in a sea of headlights and trim plastics (between Wagon 1's trim and Wagon 2's trim i dunno which is which so im gunna split it and use the best one out of the matching pair)

yes Ive resorted to storing a pair of headlights on the engine under the hood ive run out of spots where I can stick them and not drop/break em

o.o ooo plastic ( to bad its Plastic trim and not plastics as in Credit cards)

Old 12-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #76
Feral
Focus Addict

hrmm time for another update ( sorry no pix :( I've been forgetting to pick up a set of batteries while out)

anyways since I got the plastics I bought a bunch of cleaning agents through my distributer to help remove alot of the white corn starch powder from the plastics that was caused by the airbags.. he gave me this stuff and as funny as it is its called "Terminator" got a funky scent and its designed for anything and everything and to my amazement it did a SWEEET job even removing some of the sole marks from the feet hitting the jamb covers

enyways other then working on the plastics, mocking the radio faceplate, tryin to remember to buy batteries and worrying how im going to get the original headliner home I got a few more Parts for my car which I want some help to figure out what I should install with them

I got half the plastics up as far as I can go ( stopped at the rear seat and stopped half way up) so I can be able to install the headliner again and be able to paint the rear under the carpet without painting the actual trim pieces, I got the Stock Tan Console cleaned up like new. removed the pen nub and cleaned it ( yuck) removed the boot for the ebrake and couldn't believe how much crap was stock to IT.. after i stood there and saw the beauty of the job well done i got hit by a train (mentally) MY CUPHOLDER WERE MISSING.. I went back to the storage nearly toppled the wrecked car off the stands jumpin in out, and all over the car trashed the unit and went home in defeat.. then it hit me it was in a bin we used to empty out the needed stuff from the car after it was pulled from the ditch XD I took them out knowing they go missing quick LOL.. i found em cleaned em up and popped them in (phew) the console is complete except for the emergency shifter release cap :( the ones from the original style don't fit this style there wider then the new shifter)
yeah that bugs me

other then the radio and all that, I grabbed a NIICE Gauge pod (got it from DeuceCoupe) that will sit nicely on my stock pillar where I don't have to buy a full piece and repaint the crap out of it trying to match the color this is a 2 gauge clip on style made by Ford Racing

so heres the question Which Gauges should I put, please remember I don't like the pep boy ricer specials and won't buy cheap no name ones
I'm not going to be Turbo-ing or supercharging my engine, I'm not going to NAAAAAWS my poor car (Silly Kids-Tricks are for Imports)

if I CAN I will be getting a pair of Genuine Ford Racing ones but if I do I want them Black faced to match my existing cluster

personally I was thinking if they have like a multi gauge with oil pressure, volts and something else and another one.. I do know I want a Voltage gauge I can't live without one of those

I sat there on one of the old floor pan carpets I cut off from the old interior carpet and realized that the engine bay is going to take alot longer then the interior to redo x.x
it hit me I will be replacing all the rotten rusted over bolts with new ones after there repainted with proper paint that seals it to stop the rust then i have to remove all of the brackets here and there and do those and while the motors out and the driveshafts removed undo the whole suspension, clean off the calipers, seal and paint them then do all the suspension parts including the struts, control arms... yeahhhh XD I'm THAT picky

I estimate the engine rebuild, replacement, cleanup, washup, paint, touchup of all the hangers, brackets, bolts (Engine bay then while there the front suspension) will take me at LEAST a month.. then im gunna go over the body with a fine tooth comb and do some body work ( I will pull as many of the scrapes/dents/damage out with a hammer and dolly then do an extreeeeeeeeamly light coat of Poly fill ( no not bondo ) basically a finishing/glazing putty.. I hate bondo and if I can, I stay away from it if I still had my stock of lead fill bars I would of lead filled the imperfections ( yea thats a VEEERY old body filler technique which will outlast and take alot more to show that it was filled) unlike bondo where if the conditions are right smacking the body will cause the paint to crack

enyways yeah the Todo notepad is filling up a heck of alot faster then I can tick things off but this is how I want it.. i wanna be able to stretch the work throughout winter where when summer comes its near complete and will need just the paint job

Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #77
sk8withm3
EDM Parts Manager

Fan#: 67355
What I Drive: Blue BMW 318i

FF Reputation: 8 sk8withm3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
AFR and Volts or AFR and Oil pressure would do nicely
It's ok if they ride a little low, just so long as they are properly inflated to account for the lowness
Well, not getting home when I want but definitely going to FocusFest now.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #78
ah1f39
Alone in the Cave

Fan#: 70006
What I Drive: 2000 Explorer 4x4, 04 Mini Cooper S

Points 4,593, Level 43
Points: 4,593, Level: 43 Points: 4,593, Level: 43 Points: 4,593, Level: 43
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 28 ah1f39 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Oil pressure and temp.

The two that will kill the motor if the idiot guages don't work.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #79
Feral
Focus Addict

hrmmm anyone know where I can get clean looking ones, no damage, with glass not plastic lenses that are black faced, analog is ok but would prefer digital

as for the temp the dash gauge is good enuf if that thing ever goes even a little passed center I bring it home and tear into it

Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 AM   #80
sk8withm3
EDM Parts Manager

Fan#: 67355
What I Drive: Blue BMW 318i

FF Reputation: 8 sk8withm3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah1f39 View Post
Oil pressure and temp.

The two that will kill the motor if the idiot guages don't work.
..good point.
It's ok if they ride a little low, just so long as they are properly inflated to account for the lowness
Well, not getting home when I want but definitely going to FocusFest now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.