Let the rebuild start - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Feral
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 1 2002 / 2 2001 Wagons

FF Reputation: 53 Feral Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Let the rebuild start

well if most of you didn't know and haven't heard Wagon 1 was written off in January 2009 after a black ice incident, insurance paid out and I bought it back

June Last year I picked this one up (Wagon 2) from some Mechanic who said the engine was toast and it will never run again (unfortunately the owner was scared away and she abandoned it leaving the keys and signed ownership)

Engine Was fine just needed a new Timing belt (yeah thats it just a belt to make it start/run)

Anyways seeing Wagon 1's Frame is screwed and most of the body is fine I just opted to Remove EVERYTHING from Wagon 1 and transplant into Wagon 2

Basically it runs down to this (Transplant from Wagon 1 into 2)
-Interior
-Dash Harness
-Carpeting
-3 doors+Hatch with full power options (the 4th door was destroyed)
-Engine, Transmission
-All wiring that belonged to Wagon 1

Anyways After meeting with a Transportation Canada Field officer about my concerns with the hatch harness he inspected the harness's on ALL 3 of my wagons and found them all in bad condition (Wagon 1 was in Appalling condition seeing the hatch popped open when we applied the brakes then 3 days later we were pulled over for ALL the lights failed at the rear)

I Was able to bring the majority of the Interior, Harness, computer, keys, doors and hatch home to start the transplant and heres how it went

Got most of the interior removed and nearly passed out at the crap stuck/smell under the original carpet.. I am going to run a bleach/water solution in a bucket and wipe/clean everything.. once it dries I'm going to use a undercoating/rubber spray that will seal the floor after I remove any rust etc... clean out the drains/ports...

I got Both of the Driver side doors replaced (people thing its hard it was EASY as pie )

LOL this is what happens when a car sits in a storage unit for 10 months

And last but not least the absolute DISASTER of a mess of wiring that needs to be repaired on my hatch
D&*# you Ford and your crappy wiring

yeah once the hatch harness is repaired I can reattach wagon 1's hatch to wagon 2 seeing Wagon 1's hatch found a new home

What Im hoping to have done tomorrow is
-Interior metal cleaned/bleached
-interior wiring removed
-dash harness removed
-floor coated in proper sealant to prevent interior rust and curb eaten floorboards as there clean right now

-once that crap above dries maybe get the Wagon 1's dash harness reinstalled and Wagon 1's ECU/Controller modules installed

My Wagon Rebuild - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Broncoboy80
#MattinglyBuilt

Fan#: 59885
What I Drive: Stanced 02 SVT

FF Reputation: 13 Broncoboy80 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Ouzzzzza

Instagram - #MattinglyBuilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue83 View Post
^yo, that bitch is LOW and clean!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Feral
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoboy80 View Post
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Ouzzzzza
Wha :) this gives me the absolute perfect time/chance to do proper battery relocate, carputer cables stereo cable runs while its open :) once I'm done it will be the quietest around as the rubber floor spray is also an acoustical barrier

:)

the best way to properly clean an interior is to yank it out and do it on the ground instead of the car I can get to the hard to reach spots

Old 11-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Feral
Focus Addict

o.o weee ran into probs I got the dash support bar off got the wiring replaced went to start the bleach/water cleanup of all the sticky crap on the floorboards and noticed this car has alot more wires running thought the floor then it hit me this car (wagon 2) has 4 wheel ABS and side impact airbags and Wagon 1 didn't so I need to find plugs to cap the holes.. Im going to go see if the original car had them and grab em as I'm removing the ABS and side impacts

weeee Im finding a buttload of hidden sensors Ive actually located the side impact sensors for the side impact airbags there bolted to the crossmember under the seats where the harness for the seats run.. heheh more crap to sell I guess as I don't want side impact bags either id like to keep my shoulders
Pics will be added later as right now I have to go to work ( Yaaay Sarcasm)

Old 11-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
ChuckDee
Ehh...

Fan#: 43589
What I Drive: 02 SC SVT

Points 17,687, Level 84
Points: 17,687, Level: 84 Points: 17,687, Level: 84 Points: 17,687, Level: 84
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 48 ChuckDee Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
nice, but not meaning to be an ass or anything, but whats the point of the swap from the wagons to this one?
Old 11-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
Feral
Focus Addict

the body on wagon 1 was destroyed but the interior was imaculate plus the engine only had about 90k miles on it.. the interior of wagon 2 was trashed and the engine is high mileage but the body is in near clean condition ( a few rust blisters and scrapes) instead of having to spend thousands on a new interior just take wagon1's and transplant...

unlike most I want my car to be built ( rebuilt) by me so I can add the necessary stuff I want and remove the junk like side impact and abs which my first wagon did not have...

unlike most who SAY there hardcore Ford fans or Focus lovers who ditch there cars after giving them a s#!^ beating and have probs I won;t give up on my Focus's

Plus this gives me something to work on as a hobby.. I love rebuilding cars and this Focus isn't the first Ive rebuilt many in the past

I originally bought wagon 2 to make a twin car out of it just like my first but that night happened so hey rebuild one nice one out of 1 visual wreck and one total wreck

Old 11-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Djmike2485

Fan#: 3230
What I Drive: Silver 2000 Ford Focus Zetec 4 Dr.

FF Reputation: 6 Djmike2485 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just out of curiosity, why did you want to remove the airbags?
Anyway, sounds like a fun project to keep you busy.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
likwhoa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33621
What I Drive: 2002 silver svt

FF Reputation: 2 likwhoa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
good luck with the rebuild looks like alot of work
Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
Feral
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmike2485 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did you want to remove the airbags?
Anyway, sounds like a fun project to keep you busy.
My shoulders nearly touch the door if the side impacts ever go off i won't have a shoulder I'm keeping the driver and passenger bags tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwhoa View Post
good luck with the rebuild looks like alot of work
ahuh :) and my back is killin me XD worked on the car for quite a few hours today

---------------------
enyways heres my Nightly update

Got around to pulling all the flooring harness's including pulling the main to the engine which is behind the ECU, replaced the ECU including the Security module..

swam in water as I just opted to fill the floors with water and degreaser as the stuff was to thick for even a brush to remove.. then used my Ridgid Wet/Dry to Vac out the water then rehosed it off while still vacuuming it.. once the water was removed rag dried the floors and now that nasty smell is gone..

reinstalled the Dash Support with the new harness reconnected all the wiring together and nearly forgot to install the new column which I now have a full telescoping Tilt steering, threw on a battery and prayed.. I peeked into the car and saw the led Blink ( WOOHOO ) its alive again now lets see what would happen if I used the old key with Old Cylinder errr sweet its rapid blink.. I removed the old cyl and installed Wagon 1's cylinder and turned. she cranked and fired for 2 seconds ( yeah forgot I didn't have enough room under the car at that time to run the new harness's lines to the fuel pump (oops)) but hey she fired...

Upon prepping the old interior for scrap it hit me to check something.. I pulled the rear upper bench seats on the floor and grabbed a knife then proceeded to cut the top to inspect something, Yes even the non headrest rear seats have the cutouts to install headrests so I finished butchering the front seats for the airbags, and the headrests.. Im going to carefully cut Wagon 1's rear seats at the measured point and install headrests from wagon 2's fronts

I finally got around to installing the rims and tires I obtained from Klodcrawlers wrecked car and I have to say the pair of tires are nice.. I bought them in hopes I can replace 2 of the rims on Wagon 1 that were brutally curb rashed after we were cutoff.. Thankfully I did NOT install them as one of them would of been shredded (plus the tires were not suited for snow)

unfortunately I have no pics as I was covered in grease, cleaning agents and crap stuck to the car (didn't feel like buggering up my camera) I will take a few tomorrow of the progress

Hopefully if the weather permits I will be able to clean the nasty corn starch/pieces of glass off wagon 1's interior then steam clean it before installing it

Before I install the dash cover I want to run the wiring for the XM receiver I'm custom fabbing my Dash cluster bezel to fit in where that stupid cubbie is (im gunna try to make it look like it was supposed to be there so I don;t have to stick the thing in the middle of nowhere in plain view )

yeah :D hopefully I can get it painted soon but I need to pull the engine out first so they can recolor the engine bay aswell

enyways the constant bending to rerun the wires have killed my back so its an early night tonight :D we shall see if I can continue tomorrow :)

Old 11-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Good job man. I will be watching this thread.

Bookmarks & Social Networks