So tired of these Toyota UA claims!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
So tired of these Toyota UA claims!!!

Just saw one on the news of a Cleveland woman in a Lexus that claimed her Lexus unintendedly accelerated in a parking lot and crashed into a light pole. To me this is turning into a huge scapegoat for terrible drivers or simple driver errors. I guarantee claims of UA aren't going to stop anytime soon. My question is, why didn't Prius' do this before now? They've been out for years and suddenly this is an issue? I'm sorry but I call BS on 90% of these claims. How much you want to guess these "sudden acceleration" cases are probably caused by some heavy footed driver mashing the gas rather than the brake. This has been happening for years and no one blamed the car.

END RANT

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
SVTflyer03
RB25 = Amazing

Fan#: 62344
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT ZX5, 1991 240sx

FF Reputation: 5 SVTflyer03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I agree. Its all ridiculous. Besides, what do you do when your throttle gets stuck??? You throw it in neutral and shut off the motor. GAME OVER! Geez. Some people are so incompetent!

SVTf 5-door #892 out of about 2200

Hi
Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Birdman330
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43139
What I Drive: 08 Liquid Red Holden Commodore

FF Reputation: 2 Birdman330 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You know whats really damn funny, it can occur in all cars that have drive by wire. You don't see any other makes with drive by wire showing the same problems. Honestly I think the problem was hardware like originally thought, and people are using Toyota as a scape goat for their stupidity. So I have to 100% agree on all accounts of whats going on, I'm tired of it, its put a dent in Toyota's image and more than likely a permanent dent. I think Toyota should file lawsuits against those found to be fraudulent in their claims.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Fordcus Fan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31604
What I Drive: 2012 twin turbo F150 (Soon)2000ZX3S

FF Reputation: 3 Fordcus Fan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Toyota is just as big or bigger LIARS. Their getting what they deserve.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

Points 12,255, Level 72
Points: 12,255, Level: 72 Points: 12,255, Level: 72 Points: 12,255, Level: 72
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Maybe they were happening, it just wasn't publicly put on the news because it was just another claim but now that they've recalled for that very reason they show that it's still happening and stuff

It's like when a tree falls in the woods does it make a sound? Sure but noone says anything about it until they are there personally hearing the sounds
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 7,276, Level 56
Points: 7,276, Level: 56 Points: 7,276, Level: 56 Points: 7,276, Level: 56
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman330 View Post
You know whats really damn funny, it can occur in all cars that have drive by wire. You don't see any other makes with drive by wire showing the same problems. Honestly I think the problem was hardware like originally thought, and people are using Toyota as a scape goat for their stupidity. So I have to 100% agree on all accounts of whats going on, I'm tired of it, its put a dent in Toyota's image and more than likely a permanent dent. I think Toyota should file lawsuits against those found to be fraudulent in their claims.
There are always going to be bad drivers, just something else to blame their poor driving skills on. But isn't that what the black box is for? Now if only more people were able to read them. Read something on the wall street journal's site where there is only like one laptop in the US that can read them. Where as with most domestic cars, anyone can buy the software/hardware to read them. Apparently, they only reveal the contents under court order. I.E. if the driver attempted to break or speed before crash ect.

Are most modern cars drive by wire? Or is it something limited to only certain newer cars?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
gold_zx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26015
What I Drive: 2005 Black WRX Sport Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 gold_zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
yeah the dude driving his prius had enough time and control of his car to call 911 and what not but he didnt have enough sense to throw his car into neutral? And if all else fails turn off your damn car, the steering wheel doesnt lock unless you pull your key, and you dont have to have power steering to turn a car...i just think its funny that toyota's getting all this shit, most of it is derived from them being a foreign car company. do you honestly think that ford, GM, or chrysler have never had this issue before? Not saying that Toyota's not at fault at all, but come on it is getting ridiculous
Old 03-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
MichSVT
You like this.

Fan#: 49693
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda RX-8, 99 Jeep TJ

FF Reputation: 5 MichSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
any way you take it, you have to figure that Government Motors is thinking, "Hey, these guys are just as screwed up and we are"

its a scape goat for bad drivers
|_|.............|_|
Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 17,859, Level 85
Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman330 View Post

1. Is Toyota using the same parts/programming that other DBW vehicles are?
(no, there are certain proprietary rights that each company has, though there are standards by which they conform)

2. Have there been problems with other DBW vehicles that weren't subject to a mass recall?
(yes)
Oddly enough problems where prevalent long before media attention,
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/7095/
http://forums.musclemustangfastfords...ing/index.html
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1023879_toyota-denies-unintended-acceleration-issues-on-tacoma

How many threads relating to the throttle sticking or acting funny can you find on this site alone? Granted the majority are not DBW but that doesn't rule out the possibility and what if factor.

CTS doesn't program the sensors, only calibrate them. It's up to the software engineers at Toyota, VW, Mercedes, Ford, GM to program them in to the ECU. Seems that's where things went wrong. Toyota allowed for too much peddle travel and the peddle sensor went beyond the programmed range and stuck. The metal shim is supposed to prevent this from happening again.

Oddly enough if you look under the carpet in your older Focus you'll find a foam pad under the accelerator and brake peddles. I'd say this is a similar concept but intended for longevity of the throttle cable, push too hard and it stretches and eventually breaks.

Now I'd like to say all the claims are false. but obviously if there is a recall Toyota acknowledges there is an issue, which they animatedly denied prior to the media blitz (or so it seems).
Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #10
mjd4277
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
1. Is Toyota using the same parts/programming that other DBW vehicles are?
(no, there are certain proprietary rights that each company has, though there are standards by which they conform)

2. Have there been problems with other DBW vehicles that weren't subject to a mass recall?
(yes)
Oddly enough problems where prevalent long before media attention,
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/7095/
http://forums.musclemustangfastfords...ing/index.html
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1023879_toyota-denies-unintended-acceleration-issues-on-tacoma

How many threads relating to the throttle sticking or acting funny can you find on this site alone? Granted the majority are not DBW but that doesn't rule out the possibility and what if factor.

CTS doesn't program the sensors, only calibrate them. It's up to the software engineers at Toyota, VW, Mercedes, Ford, GM to program them in to the ECU. Seems that's where things went wrong. Toyota allowed for too much peddle travel and the peddle sensor went beyond the programmed range and stuck. The metal shim is supposed to prevent this from happening again.

Oddly enough if you look under the carpet in your older Focus you'll find a foam pad under the accelerator and brake peddles. I'd say this is a similar concept but intended for longevity of the throttle cable, push too hard and it stretches and eventually breaks.

Now I'd like to say all the claims are false. but obviously if there is a recall Toyota acknowledges there is an issue, which they animatedly denied prior to the media blitz (or so it seems).
Agreed. In this case,Toyota has known about these issues for quite some time(a DECADE at least)and they blamed operator error just about every time. You'd think that after the 3rd or 10th complaint that would be sending up some kind of red flag that says "Hello? This could be a major safety issue here"? This is a case where s rolls downhill!
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??

Bookmarks & Social Networks