Ford SUV Hybrid Gas/Electric - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-07-2004, 01:25 AM   #1
ZX3NNJ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9248
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3NNJ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford SUV Hybrid Gas/Electric

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/APW...D849H8SG0.html

Whatdya guys think?

Not a SUV person myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2004, 03:21 AM   #2
itsalex17
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5579
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 itsalex17 Good Standing Member
i kinda like it, supposed to get better gas mileage than a hybrid civic. I would never own one just not my style but its still a really nice vehicle.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:28 AM   #3
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Link didn't work for me, if its the hybrid escape, it is the same powertrain as the first generation Prius, toyota sold it to Ford... It works pretty good for a hybrid, the new civic and prius really work well, BUT I would much rather have a direct injection low sulphur diesal, better milage than the hybrids and no gigantic pile of batteries to through away after 3-5 years..
Old 08-07-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
2000FordFocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9275
What I Drive: Vintage 2000 Focus SE Sport Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 2000FordFocus Good Standing Member
the diesel do save more, but they pollute the environment!
Old 08-07-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
sieben
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8152
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sieben Good Standing Member
these hybrids are for rich green-friendly people that hate smog. the costs of these vehicles just don't justify them for me. the polution isn't from our low emission focuses, it's the big semi's and industrial equipment guzzling 2 gallons of diesel fuel per mile.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by 2000FordFocus
the diesel do save more, but they pollute the environment!
screw the envrionment! i want a diesel....

just kidding.

Seriously, there are definatly more serious threats to the environment then small diesels.

i have read a bit about the hybrids, but i am not really into them. when i step on my gas pedal, i want something to happen. lol.

however, i would love to buy a VW TDi, but i would prefer a diesel focus (if they ever make it across the pond)
Old 08-07-2004, 08:42 PM   #7
Serpent
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 11461
What I Drive: 1999 Ford F-150 4x4 Off-Road

FF Reputation: 1 Serpent Good Standing Member
I cant believe that Ford couldnt come up with their own hybrid technology. Toyota is one of their main rivals, imagine how much the Toyota execs are laughing at Ford right now. A big company like that, and they resort to buying the use of the technology from one of their main competitors.
Unless you do almost 100% of your driving in town, a hybrid really dont save that much gas. The only time the electric motors run is when you are doing less than 30 mph.
And crazy_urn, your comment about how when you want something to happen when you step on the pedal, you should know this. Electric motors run at a constant state of maximum torque, so in theory they are better off the line. A Prius would probably smoke your LX off the line...
Also, the comment was made of how someone didnt like the fact of replacing batteries every 5-7 years. The batteries on the Prius are warrated for 10 years/100,000 miles. Im not sure how long they are expected to last, but they are dry-cell which usually last much longer than normal batteries. Im sure that the cost to replace them is pretty insane though..
Serpent
Old 08-08-2004, 11:43 AM   #8
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

A prius smoke my LX.... lol

not ganna happen.

I will readily admit my little SPI is not fast, but please.

04 Toyota Prius:
HP: 76 @ 5000rpm
Torque: 82 @ 4200rpm
Weight: 2890 lbs.

04 Ford Focus: (I dont have the numbers for my 03 on hand, but they should not have changed)
HP: 110 @ 5000 rpm
Torque: 125 @ 3750 rpm
Weight: 2606 lbs.

So my focus has 34 more HP, 43 more torque, in a car that is almost 300 lbs lighter... now factor into this that my LX has a 5 speed, and to the best of my knowledge the Prius only comes in an automatic (please correct me if i am wrong) there is no way a prius is going to smoke me.

p.s. sorry for being a jerk yesterday. i was at the end of a 12 hour shift at work and not in the best mood. you really did not deserve my comments. sorry.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:53 PM   #9
Serpent
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 11461
What I Drive: 1999 Ford F-150 4x4 Off-Road

FF Reputation: 1 Serpent Good Standing Member
Hey, its cool

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy_urn
A prius smoke my LX.... lol

not ganna happen.

I will readily admit my little SPI is not fast, but please.

04 Toyota Prius:
HP: 76 @ 5000rpm
Torque: 82 @ 4200rpm
Weight: 2890 lbs.

04 Ford Focus: (I dont have the numbers for my 03 on hand, but they should not have changed)
HP: 110 @ 5000 rpm
Torque: 125 @ 3750 rpm
Weight: 2606 lbs.

So my focus has 34 more HP, 43 more torque, in a car that is almost 300 lbs lighter... now factor into this that my LX has a 5 speed, and to the best of my knowledge the Prius only comes in an automatic (please correct me if i am wrong) there is no way a prius is going to smoke me.

p.s. sorry for being a jerk yesterday. i was at the end of a 12 hour shift at work and not in the best mood. you really did not deserve my comments. sorry.
You have some small flaws in your thinking, crazy_urn. First of all, you are citing the Prius' gas engine. You need to remember that untill the Prius reaches 30 mph, it runs purly on the electric motors.
Also, the Prius have a CVT transmission. Its not like a traditonal fluid coupling transmission. The CVT is actually the most efficient transmission there is. Its basically the same thing as what a snowmobile had. Its got 2 pulleys. One comes off of the engine's crankshaft and the other drives the tires. The one that drives the tires moves and changes how high or low the belt/chain rides in the pulley. This gives the transmission the ability to make an infinite number of gear ratios. The engine always runs at an rpm that is most efficent for what it needs at any given time.
You will have to forgive me as well. Im somewhat cynical when it comes to Ford. As I see, the Japanese are ahead in terms of engineering and engine technology. It seems to me that Ford and GM dont seem too concerned about catching up. Ford is certainly trying a lot harder than GM though. Its nice to see that Ford is moving towards more DOHC multi-valve engines. I would like to see Ford implement variable valve timing though. It would allow them improve their fuel economy. I like where Ford is heading with their quality, its nice to see that they have almost caught up with the Japanese. I grew up in a family that always drove Fords, but it really shakes my confidence when you see recall after recall. If Ford continues to show that they are constantly trying to improve quality, I just may opt for a Focus over a Toyota Corolla.
I would be lying if I said that I wasnt a Toyota lover. Today, I was watching the NASCAR race at Indy. During a caution, the announces commented about the '05 Impala SS pace car. They made it sound like a big deal that it was a supercharged V6 that made 240 hp. Immediatly,I blurted out, "big deal. The Camry makes that much power without a supercharger!" Toyotas are amazing vehicles and if Ford and GM dont get their acts together, someday Toyota will be the biggest automaker in the world. So if I sometimes sound pro-Toyota, thats because in a way I am.
Serpent
Old 08-08-2004, 09:03 PM   #10
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

you obviously are a toyota lover, and thats your right. i cant disagree with most of what you say, but i still dont like toyota, everything i have seen is to bland for my taste. (of course with the exception of the mr2 spider... that is a cool little car)

but about the prius smoking my SPI....
The Prius has a 11.3 sec 0-60 time, and an 18.30 sec 1/4 mile

the Focus has a 9.6 sec 0-60 time, and a 17.3 sec 1/4 mile

The prius isnt going to smoke me.

(information found here)

Bookmarks & Social Networks