A Few Focus Stuff...Questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-07-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
Happenedtoyou
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11169
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Focus ZX5 with SAP

FF Reputation: 1 Happenedtoyou Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A Few Focus Stuff...Questions

Ok I just bought a new 2001 Ford Focus with 40,000 miles on it, and one owner, who put it into a small crash that required it to have bumper, lights and minor things changed here and there. It is in good condition and runs great now. I bought it from a shop that did all the work on it and did a good job. I bought it a week ago, and picked it up today. Here are the few small things I have questions with.....

- The Yellow Engine logo (check engine) is on. Does that result in anything, or can I just reset the computer to deactivate it. There is nothing wrong with the engine, it has been checked. It went on today when driving home from the shop.

- I need a manual for the 2001 Focus ZX3.... Do you know where I can get them....does anyone have one?

- The button for the drivers side upper light is missing, where can i retrieve this?

- A big question.... If I want to add a electrical splitter for various electric devices, such as cellphone charger, floor lights, etc....what is the best way to do this in a focus. What I did in my old car was I took the cigarette lighter assembly, spliced the wires, and extended the elcetricity under the console with my cigarette lighter type outlets. How do you guys do it so the cables dont hang all over the place, and is it easy..........thanks!!!

That'll be it for now.... Hope you can help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2004, 04:36 AM   #2
Master_Mobile
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1809
What I Drive: 2003 Arizona Beige SE

FF Reputation: 1 Master_Mobile Good Standing Member
You might want to go to a Ford Dealership to see if they had manuals there. They may have some other things you listed, but they might cost more there since, they are a dealership and they do like to ring up the prices whenever possible.
My 2000 ZX3 died January 8th, 2005 at 5:42 p.m.

:tips hat down:

My 2003 SE just isn't the same...minus some minor upgrades.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
sieben
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8152
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sieben Good Standing Member
check engine light? could be anything you can try resetting it, but it's more than likely just a sensor, but you need to get the code checked to see which one.

the button on the driver side lamp?? the inside dome lamp? comes with a new assembly or check a junk yard.

owners manual, goto helminc.com to get one, easiest way. you may find one at a dealership, but if they gotta order it, they get it from there anyway.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Happenedtoyou
Focus Enthusiast

How do I reset it so the check engine light come off. I am new to this and have no clue how these 2001 cars work yet. I had a nice 1990 before but it was all simple there. Let me know, thanks!!!
Old 08-07-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
tension001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2278
What I Drive: 2001 Infra-Red 5sp ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 tension001 Good Standing Member
unhook the negative terminal of the battery for about 5-10 mins, then put it back on and turn the key... and crank it

OBX 4-2-1 Race Header; Borla 2.5" SVT Catback; MAC Short Ram; FC 65mm TB; FC Race Shifter; Gear Concepts Aluminum Pedals; Painted Interior; SVT Front Bumper and grille
Old 08-07-2004, 09:56 PM   #6
Vassili95
Banned

Fan#: 371
FF Reputation: 1 Vassili95 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
With a 2001 it could be one of the EGR stuff and another code. I think that the battery reset is just gonna be a temporary thing!

Bring it in Ford or an Autozone to read the code.

Paix...
Old 08-07-2004, 10:10 PM   #7
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
-make sure you get the code on your CEL, dont want any undiagnosed problems

-you can get a haynes repair manual through any book store or online, if that is what you need. also, www.myfordperformance.com sells the Ford Racing Service Manual CD
Old 08-08-2004, 10:33 AM   #8
Happenedtoyou
Focus Enthusiast

Now, these codes, how do I find these codes out and how do i put them in. I'm not sure if the focus I have has an alarm installed in it, so I hope disconecting the negative terminal won't arm this alarm because I dont have the switch for it yet. The place I bought the car got a new little remote entry that they programmed at a ford shop but they lost it so they'll give it to my later. Will this hurt anything if i dont' have it? Thanks!
Old 08-08-2004, 02:35 PM   #9
sieben
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8152
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sieben Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Happenedtoyou
Now, these codes, how do I find these codes out and how do i put them in. I'm not sure if the focus I have has an alarm installed in it, so I hope disconecting the negative terminal won't arm this alarm because I dont have the switch for it yet. The place I bought the car got a new little remote entry that they programmed at a ford shop but they lost it so they'll give it to my later. Will this hurt anything if i dont' have it? Thanks!
the computer actually throws out these error codes, which turn on that check engine light. To actually find out what it means you need to goto a dealership, or like autozone or anyone with an OBD-II scanner that plugs into the computer under the dash on the driver side. They can usually find out why the light is on and fix or tell you what is to be done to fix it. But sometimes it isn't so simple, the code actually describes a symptom to the technician, and from there they need to diagnose it with actual pin point tests from their service manuals. If the car is still under warranty, I would take it to the dealership and have them figure it out.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:38 PM   #10
LordMasterSi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5034
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black LX SPI

FF Reputation: 1 LordMasterSi Good Standing Member
Maybe your car has had the catalytic either changed or removed. That's what makes the engine light go on for sure.

Bookmarks & Social Networks