Low Compression Cylinder #4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
leojake09
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70312
What I Drive: 2001 Yellow ZX3 Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 leojake09 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Low Compression Cylinder #4

I hope someone else may have had this problem. I just had the timing belt changed on my 01 ZX3 Zetec. I had a idle problem when I stopped at a light and the idle would become a little rough when I would take my foot off the brake. I was hoping the new timing belt would take care of this problem but it seems like it is a little worse.

I just replaced the air intake tube since the old was falling apart. The airbox had some fabric in it like a mouse may have been trying to make a nest, but the filter was clean. Iwas hoping this was the idle issue.

The mechanic that replaced the timing belt is telling me the #4 cylinder compression is low and it could be a bad valve or maybe the rings on the piston. There is 132K miles on it and I already had a motor mount replaced, so I don't think that is causing it.

I've seen some threads that the IAC may be bad or dirty, but I haven't seen anything about low compression. It seems like all these Foci have common issues as you read through this forum and I am hoping the compression isn't the real reason for the rough idle while at a stop. Anyone able to confirm compression issues and rough idles? I just did a lot of repairs close to $2K in a $3500 vehicle and I don't want to spend much more especially on major engine work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Bigfonsz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20407
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Bigfonsz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Valve!! Good Luck. pull the head yourself
Old 11-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
ZUKIMON
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68369
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX5

Points 1,113, Level 18
Points: 1,113, Level: 18 Points: 1,113, Level: 18 Points: 1,113, Level: 18
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 ZUKIMON Good Standing Member
Sorry to hear that you are having this problem, but I am here to tell you man, if you have a "dead" cylinder then you are going to have idleing problems and drivability issues as well.

Run a compression test and post the results. You should have even numbers across the cylinders such as this: 1) 130, 2) 131, 3) 128, 4) 135. You don't want those numbers to be far from each other at all. The rule is 10% difference between cylinders. Anymore and you are possibly going to have a problem. Low compression on all cylinders is actually better than having one dead cylinder.

After the compression test, if you see that you have a dead cylinder, or one that is partiularly lower than the others, then I would recommend doing a cylinder leakdown test. This will require a fancy little tool that you will only use once. lol Try the loan a tool program at Autozone or Advance for this. What this test does is to tell you where the cylinder is leaking and at what percent. Very handy little outfit to have but if you are a weekend mech, then I doubt that you will want to pony up the cash to keep something like this on hand for such rare uses.

This may help a little:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/compression.htm

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ter/index.html
Old 11-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
johnson
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70254
What I Drive: 2001 white

FF Reputation: 1 johnson Good Standing Member
I have the same engine and the compression was 180.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I'm betting you'll be doing rings soon.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
leojake09
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70312
What I Drive: 2001 Yellow ZX3 Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 leojake09 Good Standing Member
Well I got the car back and the mechanic said that cylinder 4 may have been washed due to a bad coil wire not firing the plug. He said it could heal itself and he also found the bad PCV hose and replaced it. He didn't like the way the coil wires were not seating themselves in the coil, so I replaced the coil wires and coil pack so that I could ensure a good spark on #4. It runs great on the highway, no issues doing 70mph, but as soon as I stop at a light, I get the initial idle okay and then it starts to want to stall. I have to keep it rolling or put it in neutral to keep it running.

I probably had the low compression before he did the timing belt but it never wanted to stall like it is doing now. He double and triple checked that the timing belt is on correctly but something has definitely changed. I cleaned the MAF and the only things left are the IAC and TPS but I don't have a CEL. I cannot figure out how to get the IAC of since I can't see the top screw from the bottom nor the top.Is there a link as how to get the IAC off without removing the intake and throttle body???

I think I'll check the TPS next since that is all that is left except for the IAC.

I was told by the service manger that the Zetec for the ZX3 is NOT an interference engine. Is that correct? I suggested that maybe a cam lobe was off, but he said that would be only apply if it was an interference engine.

Thanks for the feedback so far and any additional would be great.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
greddy339
Focus Addict

Fan#: 63304
What I Drive: 2k ford focus zx3

FF Reputation: 9 greddy339 Good Standing Member
the low compression is not going to heal itself...do a compression test on all cylinders..if number 4 comes up very low again...the manual states to pour a tablespoon of oil down the cylinder and compete another compression test on that cylinder..if the compression goes up then you have worn rings..if it does not go up you have bent/leaking or burnt valves...

if compression is unusually high the combustion chamber are probably coated with carbon

if 2 adjacent cylinders are low that would suggest a head gasket..
Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Chicha-san
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90701
What I Drive: 2001 Beige Sedan Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 Chicha-san Good Standing Member
Leojake09, hi.
I have just the same issue as your focus (mine is a 2001 SE zetec 2.0 DOH).
Today the mechanic told me it was a burnt valve; but he was not so good explaining why he thinks so.
I have changed all pulleys and water pump and timing belt, 3 eng.mounts, DPFE, PCV (twice, cause I saw oil in it after 2 week of change), thermostat and housing broken, colapsed pcv hose, spark plugs motorcraft, put air filter 1000,000 miles warranty.....

It runns in the I-10 with no issues more than 60 mph.

I'm unsure if opening engine or not.......(well by a mechanic)
Old 11-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
ltr450man
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91419
What I Drive: 2001 Silver SE SPI

FF Reputation: 1 ltr450man Good Standing Member
I would just do a leak down test on #4. You really don't even need to buy the "Special Tool." Use your compression tester hose and hook air to the back of it after running the hose to the spark plug hole on #4. Before this ensure the piston is at TDC. Once you get the air on it listen for air leaking through either your exhaust, intake, or oil dipstick. Also see if you have bubbles in your coolant overflow for a possible HG issue. If the exhaust is leaking then bad Exhaust Valve. Intake... intake valve. Oil dipstick... possible ring failure or something worse. This will pinpoint your problem before making a decision that may not be needed.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,062, Level 69
Points: 11,062, Level: 69 Points: 11,062, Level: 69 Points: 11,062, Level: 69
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 76 sailor Excellent Standing Member
I'm sorry you're having this issue, BUT IT "PISSES ME OFF" that you have to deal with mechanics that are just GUESSING instead of doing the BASIC appropriate tests that others have mentioned already....

Compression check, followed by a leakdown test if anything is NOT "up to spec" is the FIRST thing ANY competent mechanic would do BEFORE making comments like you've quoted here....

PLEASE find another shop, or follow the advice given here & learn how to fix it yourself...

(that's how I ended up being a mechanic, it was CHEAPER to do it myself , than PAY idiots that were "clueless")

Luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.