Problem with heater blower. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
zlaja
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52919
What I Drive: 2003 While LX Sedan

FF Reputation: -11 zlaja Needs To Improve
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Problem with heater blower.

It doesnt work.

That being said, its a new motor (even if it was old there is no power going to it anyway), new resistor, tested the two relays and they both work. Tested the switch for the fan speed, and there was continuity where it should have been i think (different pins at different speeds). I dont know what else to test now.

The fuse for the motor is good too. Also no connectors are melted or anything.

I dont know what else there could be that can go wrong here. Please help me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
jarchie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51811
What I Drive: 2010 Midnight Black SES 4-Door,

FF Reputation: 5 jarchie Good Standing Member
PINPOINT TEST A: The heater blower motor is inoperative/does not operate correctly
Test Step Result / Action to Take
A1 CHECK THE HEATER BLOWER MOTOR AT ALL SPEED SETTINGS
Ignition ON.
Operate the heater blower motor in all switch positions.
Is the heater blower motor inoperative on all the speeds settings?
Yes
GO to A2.

No
GO to A8.
A2 CHECK FUSE F64
Ignition OFF.
Check fuse: Fuse F64 (BJB).
Is the fuse OK?
Yes
GO to A3.

No
INSTALL a new fuse F64 (40 A). TEST the system for normal operation. If the fuse blows again, LOCATE and REPAIR the short to ground using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A3 CHECK THE VOLTAGE AT FUSE F64
Connect: Fuse F64 (BJB).
Ignition ON.
Measure the voltage between fuse F64, (40 A), harness side and ground.
Is battery voltage indicated?
Yes
GO to A4.

No
REPAIR the power supply of fuse F64 using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A4 CHECK THE VOLTAGE AT HEATER BLOWER MOTOR
Ignition OFF.
Disconnect: Connector C789 of Heater Blower Motor.
Ignition ON.
Measure the voltage between heater blower motor, connector C789, pin 1, circuit 15-FA18 (GN/OG), harness side and ground.

Yes
GO to A5.

No
REPAIR circuit between heater blower motor and fuse F64 using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A5 CHECK THE HEATER BLOWER MOTOR GROUND CIRCUIT
Ignition OFF.
Turn the heater blower switch to maximum speed.
Measure the resistance between heater blower motor, connector C789, pin 2, circuit 31S-FA18 (BK/RD), wiring harness side and ground.

Is the resistance less than 2 ohms?
Yes
INSTALL a new heater blower motor. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
GO to A6.
A6 CHECK THE CIRCUIT BETWEEN THE HEATER BLOWER MOTOR AND THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH FOR OPEN
Disconnect: Connector C469 of Heater Blower Switch.
Measure the resistance between heater blower motor, connector C789, pin 2, circuit 31S-FA18 (BK/RD), harness side and heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 6, circuit 31S-FA33 (BK/OG), harness side.

Yes
GO to A7.

No
REPAIR circuit 31S-FA18 (BK/RD) between heater blower motor and splice S24 using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A7 CHECK THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH GROUND CIRCUIT
Measure the resistance between heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 2, circuit 31-FA25 (BK), harness side and ground.

Yes
INSTALL a new heater blower switch. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
REPAIR circuit between heater blower switch and ground connection G14 using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A8 CHECK THE HEATER BLOWER MOTOR AT MAXIMUM SPEED
Turn the heater blower switch to maximum speed.
Does the heater blower motor operate correctly?
Yes
GO to A10.

No
GO to A9.
A9 CHECK THE CIRCUIT BETWEEN THE HEATER BLOWER MOTOR AND THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH FOR OPEN
Ignition OFF.
Disconnect: Connector C789 of Heater Blower Motor.
Measure the resistance between heater blower motor, connector C789, pin 2, circuit 31S-FA18 (BK/RD), harness side and heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 6, circuit 31S-FA33 (BK/OG), harness side.

Yes

No
REPAIR circuit 31S-FA33 (BK/OG) between splice S24 and heater blower switch using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A10 CHECK THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH
Ignition OFF.
Ignition ON.
Measure the voltage between heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 5, circuit 31S-FA32 (BK/BU), harness side and ground.

Measure the voltage between heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 3, circuit 31S-FA31 (BK/YE), harness side and ground.
Measure the voltage between heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 1, circuit 31S-FA30 (BK/WH), harness side and ground.
Is battery voltage indicated in all measurements?
Yes

No
GO to A11.
A11 CHECK THE VOLTAGE AT THE HEATER BLOWER SERIES RESISTOR
Ignition OFF.
Disconnect: Connector C470 of Heater Blower Series Resistor.
Ignition ON.
Measure the voltage between heater blower series resistor, connector C470, pin 1, circuit 31S-FA33 (BK/OG), harness side and ground.

Yes
GO to A12.

No
REPAIR circuit between splice S24 and heater blower series resistor using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A12 CHECK THE CIRCUIT BETWEEN THE HEATER BLOWER SERIES RESISTOR AND THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH FOR OPEN — HIGH SPEED
Ignition OFF.
Measure the resistance between heater blower series resistor, connector C470, pin 4, circuit 31S-FA32 (BK/BU), harness side and heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 5, circuit 31S-FA32 (BK/BU), harness side.

Yes
GO to A13.

No
REPAIR circuit 31S-FA32 (BK/BU) between heater blower series resistor and the heater blower switch using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A13 CHECK THE CIRCUIT BETWEEN THE HEATER BLOWER SERIES RESISTOR AND THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH FOR OPEN — MEDIUM SPEED
Measure the resistance between heater blower series resistor, connector C470, pin 2, circuit 31S-FA31 (BK/YE), harness side and heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 3, circuit 31S-FA31 (BK/YE), harness side.

Yes
GO to A14.

No
REPAIR circuit 31S-FA31 (BK/YE) between heater blower series resistor and heater blower switch using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A14 CHECK THE CIRCUIT BETWEEN THE HEATER BLOWER SERIES RESISTOR AND THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH FOR OPEN — LOW SPEED
Measure the resistance between heater blower series resistor, connector C470, pin 3, circuit 31S-FA30 (BK/WH), harness side and heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 1, circuit 31S-FA30 (BK/WH), harness side.

Yes
INSTALL a new heater blower series resistor. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
REPAIR circuit 31S-FA30 (BK/WH) between heater blower series resistor and heater blower switch using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
SEDAN REVOLUTION MEMBER #72 TEAM DURATEC #30
FORD F.A.C.T. INSTRUCTOR, FORD TRAINING CENTER INSTRUCTOR, TECHNICIAN. LOVER & OWNER
Old 10-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
jarchie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51811
What I Drive: 2010 Midnight Black SES 4-Door,

FF Reputation: 5 jarchie Good Standing Member
i hope this helps. it is right out of the Ford workshop manual
SEDAN REVOLUTION MEMBER #72 TEAM DURATEC #30
FORD F.A.C.T. INSTRUCTOR, FORD TRAINING CENTER INSTRUCTOR, TECHNICIAN. LOVER & OWNER
Old 10-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
zlaja
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52919
What I Drive: 2003 While LX Sedan

FF Reputation: -11 zlaja Needs To Improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarchie View Post
i hope this helps. it is right out of the Ford workshop manual
sir you are the man....seriously i have never seen something like this...i will go through this first thing in the morning...thanks a bunch

Bookmarks & Social Networks