Exhaust + cams = ??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-28-2004, 09:25 AM   #1
EnigmaZV
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66
What I Drive: 2004 Black ZX3 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 EnigmaZV Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exhaust + cams = ???

:) Since there's been so much talk about exhausts and headers and cat pipes and such and their overall effect on the volume/tone of the exhaust. I was just wondering what kind of effect more/less aggressive cams would have on the exhaust tone/volume. I already understand that a more aggressive cam will give a lopier idle, but what about under acceleration? Deceleration? Cruising?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 09:31 AM   #2
whiteboyslo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
not sure about the actual cams themselves, but i know messing around with cam GEARS doesn't really do anything.

cams might make for a more interesting and unique exhaust note, but i doubt it could affect the volume.

Mike
Old 07-28-2004, 09:50 AM   #3
Sublime

Fan#: 192
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZTS, 02 Escape V6, 80 Turbo T/A

FF Reputation: 1 Sublime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Cam gears do something only if they are there to actually and are used for advancing or retarding the timing. I don't know if it would really creat a different exhaust sound. If you want that, get a race header.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:01 AM   #4
Josh84
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 6601
What I Drive: 2003 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Josh84 Good Standing Member
Cams made a big difference in my car after I installed them. Ive got a borla setup, and after I put my cat 1's in, in the upper RPM's where the car would get a little high pitched, its turned it to more of a roar, got alot of compliments from some people who only drive V8's and who used to give me alot of crap about the sound of 4 cylinders. Now ive got a race header and its all gone to crap, but the good ole days.....

SRT-4 Bone Stock...Just past break in ;-)
Old 08-08-2004, 09:19 AM   #5
EnigmaZV
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66
What I Drive: 2004 Black ZX3 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 EnigmaZV Good Standing Member
Well I figured having the valves opened longer, and at different times would change the actual sound of the exhaust.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Quote:
Originally posted by EnigmaZV
Well I figured having the valves opened longer, and at different times would change the actual sound of the exhaust.
Your correct on this.

Cams effect the amount of lift and the amount of time the valves are going to open, therefore controlling the amount of air in and out. They do have an effect on the sound.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Focus_sucoF
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2502
What I Drive: black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Focus_sucoF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
yea i would think they would have alot of a difference in sound...look at a honda when it switches over to vtec how much louder the motor gets....so if u switch ur car to a more agressive cam it should have a different sound

Bookmarks & Social Networks