Doin this while drag racing, good idea or not? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #21
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't think it will. Seems like there would be a big loss in efficiency. You're burning off power slipping the clutch. And I don't think the energy stored rotating the crankshaft assembly will be anything near the energy that otherwise would have been transmitted to the wheels.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #22
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing MemberSquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'm sure depending on where you are in the country everything is called something different. I wasn't sure exactly what you were referring to so I listed both shifting methods.
they are different. However either or will slow your cars forward progress. I could get more technical on my answer but it involves complex math
Old 10-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #23
davidjsouth

Fan#:
Just make sure you bring a tow truck to pick you and your transmission up you leave behind on the track.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
xShiFTx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59110
What I Drive: 02 Sangria Red SE

FF Reputation: 5 xShiFTx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Didn't read more than the first few replies...

It's called "clutch kicking" and its a technique used in drifting for low horsepower cars. Completely useless in a straight line.
http://www.driftingstreet.com/clutch...technique.html
Old 10-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #25
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
why would he need a tow truck to pick up pieces of his transmission? this isnt any rougher on the car then shifting gears hard and its very doubtful that doing this just a handful of times would burn the clutch enough to leave him stranded. you would have to pull the e-brake and sit and slip the clutch for several minutes to do that much damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #26
1sicfuc
Focus Addict

Fan#: 66431
What I Drive: 2K Satin white/black ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 1sicfuc Good Standing Member
Ya I see, i mean hear.. honda's and acura's do this all the time at the drags. It wont do anything to make you faster. All your doing is stopping the car from accellerating and the boost or kick of power you feel is just the car starting to accelerate again. Only time this helps you is if your rear wheel drive going into a turn, pop the clutch, tug the e brake and DRIFT that sh!t. It is pointless on a drag race!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #27
TLFerrill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38135
What I Drive: 2001 white zx3

FF Reputation: 1 TLFerrill Good Standing Member
double clutching is when you have to shift from 1st to neutral to second to neutral to third and so on in old old cars with unsyncronized clutches. i've also heard truckers have to do it sometimes uphill but they may not be true. Also a good method to use if your clutch is completely gone to make it to the garage. i think the powershifting confusion came from f&f, but that conversation has been had way too many times.

ya, clutch-kicking would be an interesting thing to try though. i guess if your car was so underpowered or heavy that the energy gain of letting it free-rev for that second and going the next second was greater than letting the car rev in gear for two seconds this would make sense. possible i suppose.

Bookmarks & Social Networks